IGNITE TV vs CABLE/DIGITAL - IGNITE LOSES

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: IGNITE TV vs CABLE/DIGITAL - IGNITE LOSES

Thank you for your response and knowledgeable insight.

I would like to respectfully disagree.  I think keeping a digital cable line is so valuable that Rogers should have kept it.  

Also the home phone is completely relying only on the internet.  Would you rely on a Ip phone service in the time of an emergency or would you rather have it’s own line?  Bell has its own landline same as before with their bundles.  Rogers copies bell and gets Iptv but decides to become even worse and puts the home phone as well.   That can’t be stated as excusable in the advancement of technology.  Do I really want an internet hiccup and dropped call when one of my family member is having  a stroke in the name of advancement of technology and ease of integration for the company.

This putting everything on the internet is a huge dropping of the ball.  You can’t use advancement of technology and ease of integration to defend what is actually a downgrading of services.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Hi Sami

I think we will have to agree to disagree. We have quite different view and outlooks on technology.

Traditional copper telephone lines have been around forever and were very reliable. They would work even if there was power outage. But things are changing.

1.If you still have copper coming into your home it may actually be connected to a local node (substation) that is fed by fiber. That node has to have a backup power supply to handle power outages. In addition, your cordless phones will not work during a power outage unless you have a battery backup. Only a wired phone that does not rely on mains power will work.

2. Newer Bell home telephone installs have fiber to the home and require additional equipment with battery backup to handle power outages. Same limitations and constrains as #1 above.

3. The situation with Rogers home phone is similar to these two points, but using a slightly different implementation.

Most people have a cell phone that could be used in an emergency such as the power outage or an internet glitch. Reliability of either home phone service is typically upward of 99%.

I am quite comfortable on the state of internet and phone service (I have VOIP but not part of Ignite), and do not share your concerns. Your views are different, and that is perfectly fine. Keep using the service and facilities that meet your needs, but at some point you may be forced to change when they are no longer available. Hopefully by then the reliability will be 99.999%.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I can understand that some people really like Digital Cable.  They are used to how it works and like how it works, and it's a tough blow when you own expensive legacy equipment that you can't sell or use on any other service.

The problem with Digital Cable is that it is unattractive when it comes to new subscribers.  I used to be a Fibe TV subscriber and tried switching to Rogers when Bell had problems delivering their service in my area.  Technologically, Digital Cable was a HUGE step backwards, it was expensive to rent the NB3 receivers, and Navigatr was AWFUL on the older equipment.  I dumped the service after a few weeks.

The other problem with keeping obsolete legacy technology around is that it is expensive to maintain and acts as a ball and chain on future innovation.  The spectrum used by Cable TV could be reallocated to Internet, and moving to an all-IP-based service delivery model also paves a pathway to eventually migrating away from DOCSIS altogether.  Yet another problem with keeping Digital Cable around is that content licencing for TV channels is different and separate from Ignite TV due to how the service is delivered.

The bottom line is that is does not make business, financial or technical sense to keep Digital Cable around.  Yes, this will make some long-time customers unhappy.  However, Rogers still needs to make ongoing improvements to Ignite TV, and that is hard to do when significant funds are tied up in the delivery of a legacy service that has no future.   With the COVID-19 pandemic, more and more customers are also re-evaluating what they watch on their TVs and how they watch it.  Rogers needs to keep pace with their competitors, and they also need to find a ways to deliver better value in times when TV customers are increasingly moving to streaming services.  Digital Cable is the legacy of an obsolete business model and both have become unsustainable in today's marketplace.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Bplayer Thank you for your responses.  I am impressed with your knowledge.  I have nothing new to add.  If this old “step backward” technology is still around by the time I can scrounge up the money or line up the proper investors I am going to buy it.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Sami774882 wrote:

Ignite tv a colossal mistake. I have been a Rogers customers my whole life.  This new evolution of all the tv companies moving to IPTV is really troublesome for me.

There is a $150 installation fee.  Plus you have to rent the boxes at $8 a pop.  I already own all my boxes with the latest one only two years ago.  Also the packages are a lot more expensive than previous generation of plans.

And what is even more disappointing is if the internet goes down everything goes down.  Also watching tv will slow down the internet.  Even if it is only 25 mbps per box why should i have to put up with it.  There already was technology to keep it separate.   Why should i accept technology that makes my life worse.  This is not progress but regress.  Rogers made a huge mistake by agreeing to switch to this technology.

You raise some valid points. When Roger announced Ignite and invited customers to apply I called. But it didn't take me long to realize that the cost would be enormously higher than what I pay now for VIP digital cable. I am not one who needs to be on the cutting edge of technology regardless of cost. I drive a 15-year-old and a 35-year-old car and they're far less troublesome than the new ones if something goes wrong. Even my cable runs on old SARA SA8300HD PVRs with features like frame-by-frame, which the newer PVRs don't have. The only disadvantage is they only have 2 tuners, but that can be solved by recording time shift channels. And, of course, the interface is SD text instead of fancy HD  graphics, which is fine.

But I don't expect digital cable or my old PVRs to last forever and I'm ready.  All carriers are transitioning to IPTV of one form or another. My IP, Execulink, has what they call Link TV, which appears to be similar to Ignite, but more flexible. I switched to their fibre internet last summer with 250/20 unlimited and it's very reliable, much more than Rogers Cable.  You mentioned having a permanent copper landline in a later post and that also concerned me because my package includes "home phone", which only has about 8 hours battery backup in case of power failure.  But I can't recall a power outage as long as that in the last decade or two.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you for your reply.  I am going to fight this thing.  I don’t have money now, but I want to see digital tv continuing.  This will be one of my life’s missions.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You might need the resources of someone like Bill Gates or Jeff Bezos to pull that off.  I wish you good fortune in your endeavour 🙂

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

@Sami774882 wrote:

I am going to fight this thing.  I don’t have money now, but I want to see digital tv continuing.  

There's this very old adage "Life is short" 🙂

So aside all the hurdles such as "What's the legal basis for succeeding in forcing a major corp to continue a given product/service offering if they're not inclined to do so?" and ignoring everything else, let's assume that you were somehow going to be successful - just how many consumers would be left out there on digital given the current emphasis on migrating to Ignite. Personally would guess that demographic being really small.

FWIW - I transitioned to Ignite last Nov. Since then there have been a few hiccups but overall, have no regrets and wouldn't want to go back to digital even if I could. Admittedly, this "all or nothing" model for services when there's an interruption is not one of my fav "features" but things are what they are.  One suggestion for Rogers is to make having a SmartPhone "mandatory" before switching someone from digital to Ignite - without it, the whole experience would turn into an absolute nightmare - wouldn't be able to contact Rogers support to report an outage or talk to them while they trouble-shoot a problem since the regular phone line wouldn't be working.