Recently switched from Rogers cable/digital to Ignite, and I am very disappointed. So disappointed in fact, that I'll be switching back to cable, or even to Bell if Rogers played hard to get.
1. Guide - it covers the entire screen so you cannot watch the current program while searching - no option to change the Guide appearance
2. Guide - the font is ridiculously big, and there's no option to change it
3. Guide - channel line up makes no sense whatsoever, and while Rogers is not famous for this feature, the digital Guide allowed better visibility so the channel lineup, albeit nonsensical, was easier to navigate. Voice search is great but only if you know what you want to watch, which is not always the case
4. Picture quality - with the cable/digital you never experience picture quality drop except maybe if the cable is damaged or there's a big storm at source. Ignite relies on the quality of your wireless internet connection, and like any wireless internet connection, the quality of signal fluctuates. If there's any interference, if there are too many users, if your kid is playing a video game and his brother watching YT... In theory (and this is what Rogers will tell you) this should not affect you, but that's a blatant lie. It does affect the picture quality, oh yes it does. I can prove it. And as I write this, the movie on the TV screen went into the self initiated fast forward/pause/rewind mode for a few seconds. I'm alone in the room and no, the gremlins do not exist.
5. Power options - I like my TV to start on CP24. No option to chose power on channel with Ignite.
6. Connectivity with other devices - cable TV remotes controlled my Bose and Boston Acoustic soundbars, Sony and Hitachi TVs. Ignite remotes do not connect to any of these external devices so I still use the old cable remote and/or device remotes. Yes, these devices are not the latest models, I admit, but I don't think I should throw them in a dumpster or donate them and buy new ones just because Rogers cannot afford decent programmers?
7. Menus/Info/Apps - so you searched and you found the program you'd like to watch, a soccer game perhaps. Ignite will tell you all about the game, all the stats, tables, the colour of the goalies underwear, except HOW TO WATCH THE GAME, i.e. WHICH CHANNEL IS THE BLOODY GAME ON. This is a huge overkill, a grwat selling feature no doubt, but useless to the level of annoyance.
8. Channel subscriptions - be VERY careful with Rogers Sales offering the Ignite packages: when you start your TV you may find that some channels you used to have are gone, and you have to pay to get them back. I lost all HBO and TMN (now Crave) Channels and Rogers magnanimously offered them to me at 50% for the first 3 months.
There are some other smaller issues, but to round it up: I should have NEVER switched to Ignite, a HUGE MISTAKE! If you love watching TV, stick to the good old cable.
I'd like to also share my experiences since I got Ignite TV a few weeks ago. Although there are many things that are good about it, There are some things that are driving me nuts. I'm even thinking of cancelling it.
Forward/Rewind: Use this a lot because who likes to watch commercials. Probably use this button more than any others on the remote. It absolutely sucks with Ignite. It never stops once you let go of the button and press play. Makes it very hard to fast forward and stop where you want. You then have to slowly go forward or backward to get where you want. Very time consuming and frustrating. I hate it.
Also one of my taped shows I was watching didn't allow to fast forward the commercials????????????? It said this program does not allow that function.
Picture: Now I'm experiencing the audio cuts out for a couple of seconds?? . . You could miss a key thing someone is saying in the program. You are left guessing.
Now I am getting more than a bit annoyed.
I share your concern.
I am very annoyed when I cannot advance thru a commercial...I really dislike not being in control during a recording.
Before Ignite, I managed to develop a good technique for advancing and timing to correctly bypass those many annoying commercials.
We need to collectively make sure Rogers focuses on making Ignite more reliable.
Ignite users need to contact tech supp and request action...and place updates on this forum...soon...
Audio intermittency can definitely take away from the IgniteTV experience! This can often be caused by either a signal issue to the home or to even a WiFi connection issue to the Ignite TV box. Tech support can take a look and see what's happening though so I'd definitely recommend reaching out either via phone, live chat or us here at @CommunityHelps to review! For more information on our private messaging system you can check out our Blog.
Have you tried using the voice assistant on the remote for fast forwarding. My wife and I use it all the time when watching shows. Just press the button and say “Fast forward 3 minutes.” This is usually pretty close to the amount of time for commercials. No more fiddling with buttons.
(edit - Tagged users - RogersTony)
Not a fan of PM, as useful information is then not available to other CF users.
PMs are utilized once an item has been discussed in the forum and then the @CommunityHelps people need confidential information regarding your specific account, like account number, exact name, etc. so that they can address your issue.
Of course, PMs can also be utilized when you don't wish to discuss an item in public.
I really dislike this CF setup.
I click on the email link and it takes me right to your post birth when I hit Reply it forces me to sign-in and drop me somewhere else or make the sign-in very laborious.
THERE HAS TO BE AN EASIER WAY!
Ranting aside, yes, tried voice approach.
The problem with golf is what I want to see is immediately after the commercial.
It would be nice to know Rogers of working on s solution. Wishful thinking.
Someone is going to make a lot of money if they can find an easy to skip just the ads!
So, far, not a lot of people are voicing concern about poor recordings forward/rewind functionality.
It actually seems to be getting worse.
I have recently switched from Cable/Digital to Ignite TV. Everyone in the house loves it because they have TV's, Tablets and Smart phones that they view it on. I unfortunately use my laptop for all my TV viewing, and I hate Ignite with a passion. I seldom lost internet connection prior to Ignite, but now I lose it every 3 - 5 minutes for a couple of hours, then it is fine for a couple of hours, then back to losing it constantly, this goes continuously day and night. Yes the other items all lose connection a few times a day but most of the users in the house do not even notice it dropped. The speed of the internet is amazing when it works. The technician was here, checked everything out, and came up with a clean bill of health, reason I lose connection all the time is Ignite is a new product and going through growing pains. Since I pay the Rogers bill there will be a mutiny in this household, when I finally say enough is enough we are going back to Cable/Digital. Rogers does need to find out why the internet is dropping constantly, and find a fix for it, because I have noticed I am not the only one with this problem.
This is too intriguing to not inquire.
I am optimistic that once you get thru this concern, you will find Ignite to be very good.
You have probably done the analysis but does your laptop have an up to date wireless driver?
Have you tried any other laptop or desktop via the same access?
I am curious about the final resolution.
As I mentioned in another thread.. there are lots of parts to these equations.
A) If it was set up properly. Is the signal at the house actually good. It could be causing issues.
B) Wireless quality. As we all know almost all these all in one modems, are not great (at all the companies). It could be causing lots of issues. (one reason why they are offering the Eero stuff now).
C) wondering if any of this is potentially modem specific related?
On the Arris vs the Technicolor. If these issues are stemming from a particular modem/firmware.
I was with you until the 10pm comment.
Fw/Fw is a problem with Ignite and it may be extremely difficult for Rogers technical expertise to enhance.
Let me be exact, if it doesn't work (aka ff stop exactly), I advocate everyone force a return to PVR harddrives of yesteryear.
However easy to say but hard to do...at Rogers.
They are attractively encouraging all customers to move to Ignite...with the extteme difficulty of returning to before.
It's ridiculous. I spend every night clenching my jaw as I fast forward and rewind a dozen times in one show. Have you noticed a difference with a paused live show? I just tried it out and it was MUCH easier; so what's the difference?
I'm getting a technician in tomorrow, but otherwise I'm out; maybe I'll try again in a couple years
I hope you get the "Magical" technician that can fix your issue 🙂
Been there done that. You call support they tell you same basic stuff.
When you start questioning them, they set up technician to come over.
Technician show up and check your signal level and tell you there is nothing he can do !!!
Way to go Rogers.
Honestly I don't know why I'm still with this company
I'm really disappointed to hear that this has been your experience with Ignite TV so far. It's mind-boggling that the tech ended up in a location 3 hours away! I wonder what went wrong!?! 🤔
If it's not too late, we'd love to chat with you via Private Message @CommunityHelps to see if we can get a new appointment booked for you ASAP for Ignite TV service. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please CLICK HERE.