ICS firmware update for the Acer Iconia A501 Tablet from Rogers

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

ICS firmware update for the Acer Iconia A501 Tablet from Rogers

Hi everyone. My very first time on this forum and I did a quick search on this subject and found nothing. So let me ask away. Some people that owns the Acer Iconia A501 tablet supported by Rogers, claimed to have already received the ICS update for their Acer tablet. Does anybody here owns the Acer Iconia A501 and if so, have you guys seen any notification of an update re the ICS firmware?  I already have my new Galaxy S2 LTE updated to the ICS, but still waiting to have my Acer Tab upgraded...

****Edited Labels****

I've Been Here Awhile

Re: ICS firmware update for the Acer Iconia A501 Tablet from Rogers

Same here with my a501 tablet.  I JUST got a "canned" response from Acer on this as well.  It seems that neither Acer nor their employees have a CLUE about what is going on.  I have seen several reports of people getting the update in Australia and Canada as well.  Someone even posted a screen shot of their settings on an a501 WITH the upgraded Android system in place.  But Acer, and Rogers are apparently still in the dark...Are we asking too much for the upgrade that was promised when we bought these tablets?  I know how many Acer products this has made me want to buy... ;-Deano

I've Been Here Awhile

@DeanoD wrote:

Same here with my a501 tablet.  I JUST got a "canned" response from Acer on this as well.  It seems that neither Acer nor their employees have a CLUE about what is going on.  I have seen several reports of people getting the update in Australia and Canada as well.  Someone even posted a screen shot of their settings on an a501 WITH the upgraded Android system in place.  But Acer, and Rogers are apparently still in the dark...Are we asking too much for the upgrade that was promised when we bought these tablets?  I know how many Acer products this has made me want to buy... ;-Deano

I share your pain DeanoD, but know this...this will be my first and last Acer product!  I am really disappointed that the 4th largest PC maker in the world would put out a very promising competitive tablet only to be negligible of its own support for the Android technology. Already feelin' let down at the way developers are showing their support creating a subpar equal of its Samsung android apps...let's face it, I have some real good apps on my Galaxy S2 LTE that I just could not get for my Acer A501 tab...already thinking of selling it for a new 10.1" Galaxy Tab 2...maybe I'd even skip the ICS and get the Jellybean upgrade straight up...now there's a thought worth contemplating!!  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

In the end with this unit.. I would not put the blame on Acer.

Acer may release that the OS update is available.  But since this is a wireless based tablet, its up to the CARRIER to push the update (in this case rogers).  There are many people still waiting on samsung and other android phone updates as well (though many are comming out around now). 

According to this site, rogers has released it. http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/08/17/rogers-acer-iconia-tab-a501-users-reporting-upgrade-to-ics-now-ava...  unless it was pulled. You have tried a manual update of it?

Your app issue, it likely a TABLET issue overall, rather than a samsung vs Acer.  There are many apps, that while the store SAYS they will work on a tablet, they DONT.  They are designed for phone only and not tablet.  The Xbox app is a good example.  works fine on an android phone, but will not worth either way, on either an acer tablet, or a samsung (tested my acer, and a friends samsung tab).

Though i do agree.. that Acer support is lacking.  and they have always been that way.  I have the A200 (so no wireless).. which on the box, says FREE UPDATE TO ICS.  Great!.. says to run the manual update, it will find it, download, etc.
Nothing.. 3 days.. nothing.. 5 days.. nothing.  Contact them, they just repeat the instructions.. I swore something was broken.  At about 10 days, BOOM, there it is, the update showed up.  Its like it had to be recoginised on the network for long enough or something.

I've Been Around

Same issue here; very disappointed overall with the a501; I have to turn off/on wireless from time to time; browser crashes; google maps crashes; hdmi to TV doesn't work, etc...

Hoping 4.X will fix some of the issues...

I Plan to Stick Around

No ICS for this model.  It's right there on the Acer website:

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14634

Seriously guys, this took me 5 minutes max to find on Google.

I've Been Here Awhile

Yes, we ALL saw the same outdated info on the Acer site. And a few minutes more on Google, you will find that there are MANY posts from people who HAVE received the ICS update. There are also several news reports about the official release for Rogers clients. Sadly, none of the reports seem to have come from Rogers. It would be great to get some official comment from them. BTW one person in Canada has even posted an image from the settings screen of an updated a501 model.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

@DeanoD

You mean MobileSyrup posted the image of it. Here you go.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/08/17/rogers-acer-iconia-tab-a501-users-reporting-upgrade-to-ics-now-ava...

This was posted August 17, 2012.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It could always be, that the ICS update was pushed out.. then pulled back, if they were finding problems, etc.

I've Been Here Awhile

Still nothing here in Canada. I get updates on the "updater" app, but nothing else. Still would be nice if Acer or Rogers would give anything OFFICIAL other than the "no update planned" statement.
🙂 Deano