I want to change phones

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I want to change phones

I am about a year and a few months into my contract. I don't really like my phone. Even if I am not eligible for a phone upgrade can I say screw it and pay full price for a new phone and switch the sim card?

***Edited Labels****

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: I want to change phones

The early upgrade fee is MOSTLY going by the wayside though.

People currently locked in, will still have it, but most new sign ups (or if someone re-contracts with a new phone once theirs is up), tends to go on the flex tab.

with the early upgrade, if you were under the 3 year term, even if you had the phone paid off, you could have early upgrade fees.

With the flex, its a little different.  If you get your phone at a discount, say $400 off, that $400 is paid off essentialy in monthly inrements, over the 3 year period.
So yes, you would still have to pay out to get out of the plan, etc.  But depending on the discount (will depend on the phone you choose), this ammount can be less than the early upgrade fee is currently.  Also it gets you 100% out at that time.. once its paid, your out.. free to do whatever you please, even if its 2 months into a 3 year term.. that term is now over (vs now, if your on the old format, if youve paid it off.. you could still get early update fees if before the 3 year term)

View solution in original post

All Replies
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Yes.

You can also do an upgrade from your previous phone at a cost.  (Something like $13 for every month left in your contract + price for phone on 3 year contract)

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Yes you are able too. You have 2 options with Rogers.

1. You can do a early upgrade but it will be at a cost. The cost can be found by Calling Rogers and have the rep explain it too you and see what cost they give you for the early upgrade fee. This will most likely be as much as a new device if u combine the early upgrade fee + device fee for 3 year term + admin fee.

2. You can always buy a device full price and switch the sim cards into it. Rogers does not need to know what device you are using as long as it works with Rogers.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Interesting information; thanks.

I'm not sure why all the cost around upgrades.  Been with Rogers for 5/6 years now since coming to Canada.
  I've upgraded 3 times; each after just over a year and now the fees to upgrade are more expensive...early upgrade fee??  I never encountered this before (or it was waived)

Phone technology changes fast so even after a year your ready for a new one and for most people I know they are certainly not built to last.

In any case in the UK contract terms are 12-18 months in length; even smartphones are a minimal cost (sometimes $0) yet in Canada we sign 36 month terms and at the moment an upgrade fee is half the cost of the phone; the admin fee etc.  It's clear the providers are getting the arm in.

Also I drive 20 minutes form my house and it's long distance.

I want to change our phones but I think a new provider might be the way forward...

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

In order to get a new phone you will need to pay the early upgrade fee there is. Is some cases it may be low, but in some it may be a lot. Contact Rogers & get the right answer.

The early upgrade fee was put in effect a few months ago / year ago. This is for EVERY single customer with Rogers.

Most carriers in Canada right now have this in effect as well. Bell / Telus / Fido / Virgin & a few others have the same Early upgrade fee. This will not change unless a new bill comes out & carriers take it down. Once you sign up to a new contact with Rogers, you will have the FlexTab in which lets say you get a iPhone 16GB for 100$, You will end up paying $450 to get out of the contract OR get a new device. This was also in effect months ago. ITs well known & Rogers did say this.

If you want, go check on Kijiji OR craigslist & find a cheap new phone to get. Also try the flemaket or a cellphone store.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

You're quite right! They are doing this to everyone....doesn't make it right though!

Phone companies in the other regions are not operating at a loss so it's pretty clear they just want a little more cream here.

In any case the decision is a good one. Pay $600 for a brand new smartphone with no contract

or

pay the upgrade fee ($156); admin fee ($35) and phone device price ($210) for the customer we oh so want to keep totaling $401 probably plus tax ($453.13)

or

Pay $450 to get out and get the phone for $0 with whoever you please on a newer contract that will likely have more minutes(Canada wide) and more data.

Which would give the consumer more satisfaction for their $?
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

First one is a bit more because you will buy a locked phone still if you are buying a full price phone UNLESS you buy it from a website or a company them selfs. All phones bought outright still have Rogers bloatware & still locked to Rogers. That is the bad part of paying $600+ for a phone.

Second one would be best if you want to stay with Rogers & speak to Retentions or a Manager & see if they can offer you a monthly discount or something of some sort. This does happens sometimes when they offer customers something to stay with the company.

Well the last one would be best IF you do not want to stay with Rogers & want to join another carrier

In the end its up to each customer on what they want.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Agree totally.

Just amazes me that when I looked at the prices (as my wife has me tortured to upgrade) that it's almost like they are saying go elsewhere....it costs the same to do so.

We're both from the UK so we know exactly what is being offered there so needless to say feeling a little ripped off.

Big opportunity for any smart players to erode into other carriers customers! Surprised nobody has jumped on this wagon yet.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The early upgrade fee is MOSTLY going by the wayside though.

People currently locked in, will still have it, but most new sign ups (or if someone re-contracts with a new phone once theirs is up), tends to go on the flex tab.

with the early upgrade, if you were under the 3 year term, even if you had the phone paid off, you could have early upgrade fees.

With the flex, its a little different.  If you get your phone at a discount, say $400 off, that $400 is paid off essentialy in monthly inrements, over the 3 year period.
So yes, you would still have to pay out to get out of the plan, etc.  But depending on the discount (will depend on the phone you choose), this ammount can be less than the early upgrade fee is currently.  Also it gets you 100% out at that time.. once its paid, your out.. free to do whatever you please, even if its 2 months into a 3 year term.. that term is now over (vs now, if your on the old format, if youve paid it off.. you could still get early update fees if before the 3 year term)

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I just got the Samsung Galaxy s3 about a month ago and I am 100% disappointed with the phone but i understand that you only have 15 days to return or exchange and I have obviously passed that time frame. What should I do, or what would rogers be able to do for me?