I want go pay you lots of money to watch hockey, but you've made it impossible...

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I want go pay you lots of money to watch hockey, but you've made it impossible...

I want to give you my money to watch hockey.  I am a Leafs fan living in Vancouver and want to watch the replays of the games, usually not in real time (because there is a 3 hour time difference and I am often not home in time).  However, I found that the replay is not available the same day.  I don't care to watch it 24-48 hours later, who would??  I've already heard the score, seen the highlights.  So I cancelled my subscription.  Seems ridiculous for a huge hockey fan like me, willing to pay a rather large sum of $200, and still not being able to simply watch my favourite out of market team, when I want to.  

Your blackouts/delays have cost you my money and I am sure I'm not the only one.  Please change your policies, and I will come back.

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Re: I want go pay you lots of money to watch hockey, but you've made it impossible...

Hi @LeafsFan93 - in fact, you're right! That does seem ridiculous, and in fact it is, given that you're an out-of-market fan (while not ideal, there are of course rights issues related to in-market viewing, but that shouldn't affect *your* ability to access replays of Leafs games in a timely manner).

I've confirmed with the vendor who operates the back-end of GCL that you should certainly be able to view Leafs games both live and as a replay very shortly after the live game ends (the only exception to this would be if TOR is playing VAN in a regional game, and then that game would need to be treated as a Canucks regional game, however that hasn't happened - in fact, barring any changes to the schedule, there are none of these types of games scheduled this season).

So first, I'm very sorry that you ran up against this problem and I'd like to resolve it for you (whether it was an overall issue that affected all users, or something specific to your particular account). If you're willing to help us troubleshoot, it would be really helpful if you could private message me to let me know:

1. Your username that you use to sign into GCL;
  2. What type of device you were using to access the service;
  3. What game(s) you've run into this problem with; and
  4. Your IP address - to find your IP address - an easy way to find out your IP address is to simply type "what's my ip address" into Google)

I understand that you've canceled your subscription, understandably. Hopefully we can figure out what went wrong quickly, and you can decide whether you would like to come back. Even if you choose not to, I'd really like to figure out what happened so that we can fix it. As an out-of-market fan myself, I really appreciate the importance of being able to follow your team from where you live, and it's fans like you and me who I really want to make sure can get the most out of the service.

Apologies again, and thank you for bringing it to our attention.

My Best,

-sm-

Scott MacMillan

VP, Rogers NHL GameCentre LIVE

------------------------------------------------------
Scott MacMillan
VP, NHL Integration, Rogers

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Re: I want go pay you lots of money to watch hockey, but you've made it impossible...

Hi @LeafsFan93 - in fact, you're right! That does seem ridiculous, and in fact it is, given that you're an out-of-market fan (while not ideal, there are of course rights issues related to in-market viewing, but that shouldn't affect *your* ability to access replays of Leafs games in a timely manner).

I've confirmed with the vendor who operates the back-end of GCL that you should certainly be able to view Leafs games both live and as a replay very shortly after the live game ends (the only exception to this would be if TOR is playing VAN in a regional game, and then that game would need to be treated as a Canucks regional game, however that hasn't happened - in fact, barring any changes to the schedule, there are none of these types of games scheduled this season).

So first, I'm very sorry that you ran up against this problem and I'd like to resolve it for you (whether it was an overall issue that affected all users, or something specific to your particular account). If you're willing to help us troubleshoot, it would be really helpful if you could private message me to let me know:

1. Your username that you use to sign into GCL;
  2. What type of device you were using to access the service;
  3. What game(s) you've run into this problem with; and
  4. Your IP address - to find your IP address - an easy way to find out your IP address is to simply type "what's my ip address" into Google)

I understand that you've canceled your subscription, understandably. Hopefully we can figure out what went wrong quickly, and you can decide whether you would like to come back. Even if you choose not to, I'd really like to figure out what happened so that we can fix it. As an out-of-market fan myself, I really appreciate the importance of being able to follow your team from where you live, and it's fans like you and me who I really want to make sure can get the most out of the service.

Apologies again, and thank you for bringing it to our attention.

My Best,

-sm-

Scott MacMillan

VP, Rogers NHL GameCentre LIVE

Scott MacMillan

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for your reply.   I will send you a private message with the info requested, hopefully we can find the answer.

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Adding this information back into the original thread in case others have the same issue.

--

The good news, is that it's not a blackout issue and you should have no issue watching Leafs games (whether live or replay shortly after the game ends), but due to the way that certain connected device platforms work (including Apple TV and PlayStation).

Without getting *too* technical, there are 2 versions of the game stream that GCL uses - a live version and a replay version. For a period of time (even after the live game is over) the live feed remains and is accessed kind of like a DVR recording. The Desktop (ie. web browser), smartphone, and tablet (iOS and Android) platforms are able to treat this live feed correctly, and simply go to the beginning of the game and play it from there. Apple TV and PlayStation (and some other connected devices) look at the "end time" of the live game and since the game is over, will not allow it to be played back (basically, they think that the event is over / expired).

Within a few days (typically within 48 hours, but sometimes it's longer), that live game stream is replaced with a VOD file (same type of file that services like Shomi, Netflix, and other "on-demand" services use). Apple TV and PlayStation recognize this file as a type of file that should be accessible any time, because it's not a live event, and so then they're able and willing to play it back.

The development team is working with the connected device vendors to find a solution to that (which may require Apple, Sony, etc. to update their software and/or may require an update to GCL), but in the meantime, it's a limitation of GCL on those platforms.

So, that the explanation, but what you want to know is, how can you watch the games in a timely fashion!? And I'm guessing that you want to get the game to your TV vs. on your computer or mobile device.

If you're trying to watch either live, or within a few days of the game, your best options would be:

1. Since you already have an Apple TV, the easiest option if you have an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, would be to connect to Wi-Fi and then use AirPlay to throw it to your Apple TV (it's then using the mobile app logic vs. Apple TV logic and you should be good to go)
  2. If you don't have an iOS mobile device, another great (and inexpensive!) option is Google Chromecast - ChromeCast has always been supported on Desktop by using the ChromeCast extension within the Chrome browser to "cast" the game video to your TV (there's a quick tutorial at the bottom of this page). This season, the smartphone and tablet versions of the NHL App are ChromeCast ready, so you can "cast" directly from GCL to your TV from the Android or iOS versions of the app (again, I'd recommend being on Wi-Fi when you do this)

I know it's not a *full* solution, but hopefully gives you an understanding of why you had a problem viewing these games, and gives some options. As I mentioned, there may be a proper solution coming, but there's still some work to do on those devices.

Scott MacMillan
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Smacs wrote:
  1. If you don't have an iOS mobile device, another great (and inexpensive!) option is Google Chromecast - ChromeCast has always been supported on Desktop by using the ChromeCast extension within the Chrome browser to "cast" the game video to your TV (there's a quick tutorial at the bottom of this page). This season, the smartphone and tablet versions of the NHL App are ChromeCast ready, so you can "cast" directly from GCL to your TV from the Android or iOS versions of the app (again, I'd recommend being on Wi-Fi when you do this)

@Smacs

I really hope that Rogers can do something about providing true Chromecast support when using a desktop or a laptop. Currently, the Google Cast extension is inadequate. The picture quality using this method simply does not cut it. Fortunately, we have an iPad and are able to cast directly from GCL to our TV and get a great picture. However Rogers is advertising that "Using your laptop, tablet or smartphone and your home Wi-Fi network, stream live games to your big screen with Google Chromecast and Rogers NHL GameCentre LIVE™." This message is misleading because there is no true Chromecast support using a PC or a laptop.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Hi Scott,

So this is exactly my situation. I have three services with Rogers and I'm so upset. I am prepared to cancel them all because I don't support this. Also, I'm thinking there's legal implications here--that is, not giving the customer the option even when he/she is willing to pay for it.

Rather than go to those lengths, I will try with a conversation first.

As of 3-4 weeks ago, I was able to watch ALL games on the NHL app. BTW, I connect with XBOX 360 as well as my andriod, both now render the same unfortunate result. Now, I'm not able to watch any Leafs games, on either the home or away feed.
More info: I live in the Ottawa area. Based on my understanding of the texts, I am considered an 'out of market' viewer if I attempt to watch any Leafs game, albeit if it's home or away. (as long as they don't play Ottawa)

On my cable box, I am blacked out from all Leafs games--which I can see why, no contesting this. 
My gripe though is with not being able to watch Leafs games from the GCL app. I'm able to watch ALL other games from other teams except the Leafs.

According to the Leafs 'Game Availability Schedule' pamphlet, I am considered 'out of market' (as I'm east of Belleville, ON), and as such, all 'out of market' Leafs games should be 'Included with Rogers NHL GCL subscription'. (all the Leafs games contain a green tick)
Not sure if I've confused anyone... but essentially, I am considered 'out of market' so that will justify the blackout on my cable box, however, it should be viewable on my GCL app.

Can someone fix this?

Fawaz

Highlighted

Hi @fawiek,

Welcome to the Community :)!  

Are you still experiencing this issue? If yes, please reach out to us via PM @CommunityHelps and we'll be more than happy to assist you.

Thank you

RogersZia