I pay for Express Internet, in the grid Rogers offers 80GB of usage allowance...

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I pay for Express Internet, in the grid Rogers offers 80GB of usage allowance...

In the bill it reads that the allowance is only 60GB, and this last billing period I received a notification of having reached 75% usage consumption over 60GB and not over 80GB?

This is absolutely preposterous.
How could Rogers be in such a disarray?
I fully expect someone from Rogers Managerial team to contact me and maybe give me some detaiils of what is really going on

Thank you

I am posting below a copy of what is posted on this same webpage in two different places.

Up to
18 Mbps
download speed†
Up to
512 Kbps
upload speed†††
80 GB
monthly usage allowance††
9 Emails
and a suite of options

Express
  • Enjoy a fast service that's great for email, sharing photos and files and extensive web surfing. Large monthly allowance (80 GB) and upload speed (512kbps).
Music, video streaming, downloading and playing games, online shopping and instant messaging.

Up to 512 kbps 9 Email accounts $2.00/ per extra GB - $48.99 per month1  with 80 GB usage allowance

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: I pay for Express Internet, in the grid Rogers offers 80GB of usage allowance...

The SMC is a D3 modem. You would not be the first customer that has upgraded their modem without being switched automatically to the newer plan. You should call them right away.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: I pay for Express Internet, in the grid Rogers offers 80GB of usage allowance...

The explanation is that you are most likely still using a D2 modem. If you are, you are on a grandfathered plan which is only 10 Mbps download and 60 GB usage per month. In order to receive what is advertised on their Website, you need to change to one of their D3 gateway modems - the ones with poor wireless range and dropped connections. In the event you already have a D3 modem, you need to call Rogers and make sure they change you over to the newer plan. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for responding.

I bought from Rogers Store a SMC Networks SMC8014WG-RRR Gateway Router B, G and N Norm capable.

I do not know whether it is a D2 or D3 in your terms. I bought it when Rogers first brought them in about 2 years ago. But if the cost of the "Express" pacvkage  is $48.99 a month, grandfathered or not, I am still eligible to get the larger allowance of 80GB whether is slower or not that slow. I am aware that in spite of selling a N type router they dont offer anywhere close to N norm speeds.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

The SMC is a D3 modem. You would not be the first customer that has upgraded their modem without being switched automatically to the newer plan. You should call them right away.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I will call them tomorrow when Management is in.

Thank you for your prompt contributions.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Rogers is advertising a "new enhanced Wi-fi modem". Is this the same as some called "D3"? Has anyone used it? I am planning to switch my cable modem to this new modem. But after reading all the reviews, I am hesitant to switch and rather use the existing modem than face all the troubles. I will appreciate any suggestions and feedbacks.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well, the wireless on these D3 enchanced ones, are garbage.. so if you have a wireless router right now for your regular modem, i would use it still with the new D3, just change it to bridged mode.

Other than that, the modem part of it, works fine.  Other than in some select areas, there is an issue of drops aprox every hour.. far as we can tell some sort of lease issue.. but not sure.  D2s in those areas dont appear effected...
D3 users not in those areas, are able to use the new modems fine.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I am in the same boat (current 60GB Express customer with older wireless G gateway) and just discovered all of this TODAY!

Didn't think i had any recourse here so thanks to you all.

What I am taking away from here:

The SMC 8014 W-G (D2) modem is no good with the new EXPRESS plan with the 80GB cap - correct?  

You have to upgrade the hardware to the D3 or what Rogers is currently calling the twin options of their "Wireless N Gateway" ($7.00/month rental) and the other "Enhanced Wi-Fi Modem" ($8.00/month rental) .

Pus, when talking to the Rogers rep on the phone I should explicitly say which one I want to rent when calling to get the 80GB cap.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well.. its not that the D2, is no good.. the D2 modems are actualy pretty good.. but SOME future things rogers wants to do with the network, they want people on D3 modems.. 
The D3 gateways, that they have chosen.. are not the greatest.  IF you are currently using a configuration, of modem and router, you are encouraged (by US at least) to keep doing it that way.  They should be offering a stand alone D3 modem.. but they are not for whatever reason at this time.

So yes, you would want to call in (or go into a store for), get them to switch you to one or the other.  Unless specificaly needed (i think one or two plans DO need it), there is no really difference between the $7 and $8 ones.  just get the $7 and save a buck.

They will need to activate this hardware on your account.  Now.. one thing to make sure, weither in store, or phone, is to make sure they adjust the PLAN as well.

You can nave a D2 or D3 modem, and still have the 60g cap plan on your account.  You can ONLY apply the 80g cap plan, when you have the D3.  But its not automatic per say... so they could add the new modem, but  you still be sitting on the 60g cap.  Make sure they change it to the 80g cap plan as well. (i was that way for 3 months before realizing it :P).

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

thanks!  Much appreciated...

an extra $1.50 for 20GB seems fair