I hear my cable 8300 HD turning on and off by itself during various parts of the day!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

I hear my cable 8300 HD turning on and off by itself during various parts of the day!

Hello All

I hear my cable 8300 HD turning on and off by itself during various parts of the day and night. I can hear the sound of it's hard drive spinning! This is an internal on/off as the front panel shows power off.

Is it because they are installing menu/firmware updates??

Thanks.

***Edited labels***

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: I hear my cable 8300 HD turning on and off by itself during various parts of the day!

The hard-drive on the PVR always spins. I have the 8642 HD PVR & always during the night when the box if off i hear the hard-drive spinning a few times during the night. This always happens because the box is not OFF its on stand-by. For this to stop you need to unplug the box & leave it that way until you plug it back into the outlet.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: I hear my cable 8300 HD turning on and off by itself during various parts of the day!

All the conservationists will love you if you unplug it every time your not using it Smiley Happy  In the end, its really the only way to kill the 'phantom' power from it... its actualy one of the highest phantom power energy drawing devices in your household.

Just be prepared, every time you want to watch tv, to wait like 5 mins for the box to boot back up.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

That's true as well. IF you unplug the box you will need to wait around 5 minutes for it to fully start working again. This is the ONLY option for you not to hear any noises at all. The Hard-drive stays on since the box is on Stand-by. Turning the box of does not Turning it fully off it just puts it to Stand by mode.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Presuming you don't care about wasting electricity ...

1. At night, I set my 8642 PVR to a music station (e.g. one of the 700's channels) and leave it on (I turn off the TV).

Since music stations are not buffered to the HD like TV shows, the HSUD (hard drive spinning up & down) is greatly reduced.

2. As the PVR eventually goes to Sleep by itself overnight, I also set a Wake Up for 6:30AM and leave it at a music station all day while I'm away.

The constant HSUD sounds spooks me ... doesn't "sound" like a healthy thing for HD longevity!

So I'd rather waste a few cents of electricity instead of having the HD crash ... which for me mean $500 since I paid for the PVR!!!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Speedy

Yeah.. i can totaly understand you doing that..

THAT is the one reason i rent the PVR... yeah eventualy i will be paying MORE than $500 for the thing... BUT.. comparatively, i went through 3 HDD on the 8300 i had before..  would have been SOL by now Smiley Tongue

I Plan to Stick Around

Cycling every couple of minutes is WAY WORSE than before the update on Sep. 13, 2012. I had this problem before (never resolved) but it went away many months ago and I assumed another update solved it. I have never had a problem with recording or space. I have (2) Rogers Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD. Here's my log.

Sep. 13, 2012 5 am - software update. Problems began with PVR hard drive cycling on and off by itself day and night, whether it's on or off.

Sep. 14, 2012 - Called Rogers - no idea what the problem is caused by and suggested sending someone to the house.

Sep. 15, 2012 - Rogers technician tested the signal strength - no idea what the problem is. If it was under warranty he would simply replace it. Since it is not, I'm stuck with the problem.  I had changed cable connections, removed other connections, and swapped the PVRs. It affects both PVRs but didn't realize it until the tech had left. He also told me no one repairs them. If drive fails all you can do is find a business willing to replace the drive (IDE Seagate 160gb) or you could buy a "security torx wrench" to open the box and replace the hard drive yourself. Only good news I heard is the station tuner still works if the drive fails, you just lose record/playback.

Sep. 27, 2012 - I sat beside the hard drive can counted 8 times powering on/off in 1 hour - may have missed a few. Tha's a crazy way to operate. Similar results for the second PVR same model. Both now "unplugged" in attempt to save them both from burning out - what a nuisance.

I Plan to Stick Around

See this forum http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,27522299 for info about previous 8300HD update in Nov. 2010 that caused an HSUB problem (Hard drive Spinning Up and Down) It was "fixed" May 2011 by leaving the drive powered all the time. The recent Sep. 2012 update started the HSUB problem again.

Everyone please call Rogers cable tech support 1-888-764-3771 and complain - maybe it will get fixed in less than 6 months this time:

I'm a Senior Advisor

For all of the information on the latest update fiasco, check here.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=156392

The first post summary has it all:

1. HSUD (HDD spinning up and down) This HSUD causes issues on playback with pauses when the drive spins down. One workaround is to constantly record say an SD channel (Galaxie would use little HDD space and may be easier on the HDD). (of course this may cause recording conflicts, so beware)

2. Recorded List now goes to the beginning rather than "staying" at a selection after erasing a programme or whenever going to the list. (alphabetical or by date) This makes it difficult to monitor recordings (which used to come up on the first screen), or to watch the "next recording" like you used to.

It also goes to the beginning of the list if you check the amount of HDD space used (B - Preferences) button and then C to return.

Summary, when you press list, you are taken to the beginning of the list, regardless of what functionality you used to have - such as going to the next recording, going to a current recording, pressing preferences to see HDD space, etc. It's possible this is an attempt at "consistency" by Rogers since you used to be taken to various places depending on what was happening. Now you're always at the start of the list, regardless.

3. When trying to record programming in the future, the default position for "select" is to "change to this channel" rather than "Record". Workaround is to press record button instead of select, or scroll down to record selection. Those used to pressing the select button twice when setting future recordings will find this most frustrating since you'll be bumped from where you were in the IPG and you'll have to find your place again.

When the IPG is at the current time, it will switch to the channel regardless, so you'll need to press the record button instead - the select screen won't even come up.

4. There is missing information in the IPG - a few days out. If that is missing when you set the recording, then there may not be any "info" when you look at the recording in the recorded list. Missing information seems almost random since info can be there for say Sunday, but missing for Saturday.

5. If the HDD is spun down, the PVR may take longer to come to life when you turn it on.

You have to love Rogers. First they force a firmware update for the 8300 PVR that fixes many non-problems and you just have to suck it up and live with all the aspects they break in the process. Then they refuse to go back to the previous problem free version. Then they create a master ticket to cover many of the complaints to date (PT00063763), but have no expected fix date!
I Plan to Stick Around

I called Rogers again to report that both my PVRs have the problem (so it isn't a hardware problem). Tech support says I'm the ONLY call they have had on the problem (in 2 weeks). The guy hung up on me just now when I insisted there are others with this problem. Please call them to let them know.