I have extreme + should I upgrade

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Regular

I have extreme + should I upgrade

At the moment I have the extream plus 40 down 4 up using a cisco modem. Should I upgrade to one of there newer packages but hear there are a lot of glitches with there Hiltron modem?

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: I have extreme + should I upgrade

@lethalsniper wrote:
At the moment I have the extream plus 40 down 4 up using a cisco modem. Should I upgrade to one of there newer packages but hear there are a lot of glitches with there Hiltron modem?

Probably. How much are you paying for your Extreme Plus? I suspect you'd get more speed/higher caps on one of the new plans. Don't forget, too, that the advertised prices for the new plans include modem rental, which is $7-8 for a Cisco DPC3825.

Re the Hitron CGN3, first question is whether you are currently using the Cisco in gateway mode or bridge mode. If bridged, the CGN3 performs just fine in bridge mode with the current firmware. If gateway mode... well... that's harder to say. Frankly, the consensus view around here is that all 4 Rogers DOCSIS 3 gateways (the SMC, the CGN2, the Cisco DPC3825, and the CGN3) are underwhelming in different ways.

Note that the CGN3 is required only for the 150+ megabit plans and maybe the 60 megabit plan (Rogers' position on that seems fluid).

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

if you are on extreeme +, bar any discounts, etc.... you would be paying 79.99 + $7 for your internet right now.  = $87
Thats with 150g monthly usage.

Going to the NEW plans, you would be going up to the 60/10 package likely.
so a 15mbps down and 6 mbps up increase speed wise.

New plan is $69.99 INCLUDING the $12 modem rental.  So you would be saving $17 aproximately already.
Only downside is.. the monthly cap, goes down to 120g / month.

IF you have two other qualifying services with rogers.. you can get the FREE 200g extra usage a month.

Even if you dont.. you can PAY $15 for that 200g extra usage.  You would still be $2 cheaper.. faster speeds, and now 320g usage per month.

----

As for the modem.. really comes down to WHAT you do with it.

As a base router.. for wireless.. routing functions, etc... its really no worse than the cisco.  If thats all you were using before and it was fine for you.. that the CNG3 is likely OK.
Getting into anything higher/more advanced.. as VivienM said... you really need to bridge the unit anyways.

The ONLY reall big bug in the CGN3 that seems to hit some users.. is the 10/100 linking bug.  If you plug any device which only has a 10/100 port into the CGN3.. it drops the connection down to around 30 or so tops.. no matter what.  Gigabit into the CGN3 is fine.

I'm a Regular

Which router would you guy recommend with the CGN3 at the moment I'm using a old 615 dlink router would thT be good an also booking up to Xbox and laptop with 2 iPhones.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Either or would likely suit you.

the cisco 3825 if you can get it..

Advantage with the CGN3, is that its a 24 channel... even less chance of having any congestion if your in a busy area.

------------

In the end.. the built in wireless.. might be just as good range and performance wise, as your 615 (the 615 is pretty old now)

The CGN3 is even dual band.

Your 615 WOULD run into the 10/100 bug with the CGN3 as well.

If you are seriously looking at bridging the units.. i would consider UPGRADING your router as well.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think you will find recommendations here for the Asus RT-N66U, RT-AC66U or RT-AC68U, based on the fact that people here use those routers and are very satisfied with their performance. You need to look at what you have now, in terms of their ability to run in either the 2.4 or 5 Ghz bands and also think about what you might buy in the not too distant future. If you purchase a 802.11ac capable router, that should future proof your purchase for the foreseeable future. The 802.11ad standard was approved this year, so its likely that devices with that standard will start to show up in the market late next year I think. Depending on what you already own, an ac capable router might be overkill at the moment, but as I said, consider what you might purchase down the road. It’s very possible that whatever you buy, might be ac capable.

If you decide to look around, ensure that whatever you are looking at has external antenna and that the WAN and LAN ports are gigabit/s capable. There are recent products that have 802.11ac onboard, which gives them very good wireless rates that are paired with 100 Mb/s ports, so you would never be able to go beyond 100 Mb/s download via wireless despite having a faster data plan.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

I think you will find recommendations here for the Asus RT-N66U, RT-AC66U or RT-AC68U, based on the fact that people here use those routers and are very satisfied with their performance. You need to look at what you have now, in terms of their ability to run in either the 2.4 or 5 Ghz bands and also think about what you might buy in the not too distant future. If you purchase a 802.11ac capable router, that should future proof your purchase for the foreseeable future. The 802.11ad standard was approved this year, so its likely that devices with that standard will start to show up in the market late next year I think. Depending on what you already own, an ac capable router might be overkill at the moment, but as I said, consider what you might purchase down the road. It’s very possible that whatever you buy, might be ac capable.

If you decide to look around, ensure that whatever you are looking at has external antenna and that the WAN and LAN ports are gigabit/s capable. There are recent products that have 802.11ac onboard, which gives them very good wireless rates that are paired with 100 Mb/s ports, so you would never be able to go beyond 100 Mb/s download via wireless despite having a faster data plan.

Everyone here knows that I am a huge fan of the RT-AC68U, but I'd also suggest looking at the RT-AC56U. It doesn't have external antenna (or 3-streams) so its wireless range/performance will be a bit less, but it's considerably cheaper than the 68U, runs the same outstanding software, and will be a massive improvement over a DIR-615...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

http://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC87U/?gclid=CJ2s9uKCsMICFeZj7AodGUAAEw/

I saw them putting out the display for this beast at canadacomputers today... no price yet...
Bet its 250+ range...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gdkitty wrote:

http://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC87U/?gclid=CJ2s9uKCsMICFeZj7AodGUAAEw/

I saw them putting out the display for this beast at canadacomputers today... no price yet...
Bet its 250+ range...

I think I saw this beast advertised elsewhere before. $279 maybe? if not more?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

And now for a little cold water on the situation.  Interesting router, but the user reviews haven't been great from what I've seen.  Goes something like...when it works, its great......when it works that is.  Smiley Sad