Hypothetical Question - Early Cancellation Fees (ECF)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cgmk
I've Been Here Awhile

Hypothetical Question - Early Cancellation Fees (ECF)

Just wondering...You port out your cell number at the end of the month (11/30/12), you are charged the next month's fee because of the 30 days notice required.  Now, lets say your contract ended during the month (on 12/27/12), do you still have to pay ECF?

I'd think logically that ECF no longer apply because you paid for the month of December which took you past your contract end date.  But something tells me that Rogers doesn't really work logically...it's about the money and that they would charge ECF anyways.

****Edited Labels****

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Hypothetical Question - Early Cancellation Fees (ECF)

Phone bills.. compared to most other things.. are billed a little differently.  You PRE-PAY for the core service, but POST pay for any LD, etc.

I think it would base on when you did it.

So lets say, your contract ends on 12/27/12 like you said.  If you set up the cancelation, giving them 30 days notice, on the 11/30/12 like you said.. i beleive you SHOULDNT be charged the ECF, since the service wont actualy cancel until 12/30/12.  Unless if you even start the process, than yes it i MIGHT trigger, it.. meaning you couldnt actualy start the 30 days, until 12/28/12, then paying for an extra month.

Really you would be best to call and inquire.

cgmk
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Hypothetical Question - Early Cancellation Fees (KEF)

I plan on calling and confirming with them, just never look forward to dealing with them. 

I'm seriously considering porting out my number at the end of November.  My contract ends at the end of December.  Now, I know that Rogers won't accept 30 days prior to porting.  So when you port out, the 30 days notice starts from that date.  My reasoning if that they'll charge for those 30 additional days which will cover me for the month of December and will take me past my contract end date.  With that reasoning, cancellation fees should not apply since I've paid beyond that point but my gut feeling tells me that Rogers will charge me the 30 days plus the cancellation fee.  I never put it passed them to get as much money as they can from us little people.

Guess I was just looking for some reassurance that my thinking isn't flawed.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Maybe yes maybe no.

I bet if you didn't port the number, it would be fine. But the porting, does in essence cancel it early, I would think, as it removes the number ahead of time.

pudgee
I've Been Around

I am in the exact same situation as you.  Can you tell me what happened when you talked to Rogers?