Hybrid Fiber 250... so much lag

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VivienM
I'm an Advisor

Re: Hybrid Fiber 250... so much lag

@starblazer wrote:

Hi not sure if this is the right thread to ask this question but I just bought a CGN3 modem with 250/20 and at first it wasnt getting proper speed but sorted itself out.So now the speed is correct when I do a rogers speed check but my usnet download programs are only running around 50 down.Does anyone have a suggestion as to why this would be happening.

Is your Usenet provider capable of sending stuff to you at more than 50 megabits/sec?

250 megabits/sec is a lot to expect in an era when many servers are using gigabit interfaces and many hosting providers have a couple 1-gigabit links to their upstream providers. Honestly, I think it is going to be very difficult to find anything other than content hosted on CDNs (e.g. Akamai and co.) and busy torrents that is able to max out 200+ megabits/sec.

wayner92
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Where is the Usenet server?  Perhaps their connection into Canada/Rogers isn't so fast.

I often FTP files from a VPN server in the Netherlands and the best that I ever get is 80 Mbps (or 10 MBps) despite having the 250/20 service.

If the server is outside of North America that may not be surprising.  Try running speedtests to servers on other continents and you will rarely get anywhere near 250.

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

@wayner92 wrote:

Where is the Usenet server?  Perhaps their connection into Canada/Rogers isn't so fast.

I often FTP files from a VPN server in the Netherlands and the best that I ever get is 80 Mbps (or 10 MBps) despite having the 250/20 service.

If the server is outside of North America that may not be surprising.  Try running speedtests to servers on other continents and you will rarely get anywhere near 250.

It's not just the network, it's also the actual server on the other end...

What makes me think about this is that I've been seeing a lot of promotions for cheap VPSes recently, and those cheap VPSes have a 100 megabit network interface. So even with the best network in between that VPS and your CGN3, the absolute most you could ever get downloading from that VPS is in the 90something megabit/sec range.

starblazer
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the replies I never even though that mynews provider might not have the speed.I will check into it and get back.As far as I know my provider is in canada I use giganews.

Just checked it says unlimited speed

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

@starblazer wrote:

Thanks for the replies I never even though that mynews provider might not have the speed.I will check into it and get back.As far as I know my provider is in canada I use giganews.

Just checked it says unlimited speed

Giganews is in the U.S., but has a direct connection to Rogers' network (a legacy of when Rogers outsourced their newsgroup service 10 years ago to Giganews, I'm guessing), so... unlikely that there would be a network bottleneck between the two.

"Unlimited speed" means that they're not artificially limiting the speed for marketing/pricing reasons (a lot of their competitors charge $X for 5 megabits/sec, $Y for 10 megabits/sec, etc. You want faster, you pay more.). That does not mean that their equipment is capable of infinite speed and has infinite bandwidth...

Keep in mind that 250 megabits/sec is unusually fast for residential Internet. Some places in the U.S., the absolute fastest you can get from cable is 50 megabits/sec. So I think there are relatively few places (other than big CDNs) that are going to be able to send you stuff that fast...

starblazer
I've Been Here Awhile

Alright guys thanks for the input will just hope in time the speeds will catch up to my package lol

Jelllo
I Plan to Stick Around

I use Easynew unlimited NNTP ($9.95 a month)and can max out my 250 mbit connection at 35 MB per second. (That's Megabytes not megabits)

Jelllo
I Plan to Stick Around

I am assuming you are using a newsreader to connect to giganews? Usually the default in many newsreaders are setup for less than 10 connections at a time which wont give you full speed. Have you tried increasing this to 25 or more? 

Giganews is in the USA but that doesn't matter.