Hybrid Fiber 250... so much lag

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daviddu
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Hybrid Fiber 250... so much lag

Yup it's my network card. I just did a test on my cousin's laptop wired got the 60/10 also on the wireless 5G was 60/10. So since I don't have a slot open for network card and don't want to buy a new mobo, I think a wireless usb adapter should work for me.

daviddu
I Plan to Stick Around

I did a speedtest on my cousin's laptop both wired and wireless on the 5G, was getting the speed from my plan. So it's my networkcard thats the problem. But I have no open slots for a new one and don't want to buy a new mobo. So i'll give this a shot! Seems like it'll work!

daviddu
I Plan to Stick Around

Would any wireless usb adapter be okay? Like the brand or the speed.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I don't have a recommendation for this except to buy a dual band adapter at the very least.  The adapter mentioned earlier is a good example of one.  If you do a search for "usb wireless adapter review" you should find some reviews that might be helpful.  If you could ever see yourself buying another router with 802.11ac capability in the near future, you might want to consider buying an 802.11ac adapter.

With a dual band adapter, I suspect that you would most likely run a 5Ghz link between the CGN3 and your pc in order to obtain the highest transfer rate between the two.

croquette
I Plan to Stick Around

Just upgraded to Rogers Fiber Hybrid 250. However, the download speed is just 20-30Mbps compared to the advertised 250Mbps, though I am satisfied with the upload speed.

So I contacted the customer service, who, in the end failed to solve the problem and suggested checking the network card or exchanging the modem (CGN3). 

I am using the PC with onboard Realtek GBE PciE whose connection went only up to 100Mbps possibly due to the 100/10 switch we have downstairs. But the question is, why it just went 30Mbps and failed to at least reach 80-90Mbps like the previous package we have (Rogers Ultimate Hi-Speed Unlimited).

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3567321681 (CGN3 modem, Hybrid Fiber 250)

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3147204888 (the highest Rogers Ultimate performs on the same hardware.)

Even when i grabbed one of friend's notebook who has a Gigabit ethernet port, the direct-to-modem connection shows 1.0Gbps but the internet download speed is still horrible. 

Is it the problem with the modem itself?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@daviddu wrote:

Yup it's my network card. I just did a test on my cousin's laptop wired got the 60/10 also on the wireless 5G was 60/10. So since I don't have a slot open for network card and don't want to buy a new mobo, I think a wireless usb adapter should work for me.

If you are NOT using the PCI-1x slot (the tiny little slot), you CAN add a network card.

Overall, i am not a fan of the USB wireless cards, just due to that the USB may always be a bottleneck, depending on the USB port, what other devices are using the USB BUS, etc..

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@croquette wrote:

Just upgraded to Rogers Fiber Hybrid 250. However, the download speed is just 20-30Mbps compared to the advertised 250Mbps, though I am satisfied with the upload speed.

So I contacted the customer service, who, in the end failed to solve the problem and suggested checking the network card or exchanging the modem (CGN3). 

I am using the PC with onboard Realtek GBE PciE whose connection went only up to 100Mbps possibly due to the 100/10 switch we have downstairs. But the question is, why it just went 30Mbps and failed to at least reach 80-90Mbps like the previous package we have (Rogers Ultimate Hi-Speed Unlimited).

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3567321681 (CGN3 modem, Hybrid Fiber 250)

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3147204888 (the highest Rogers Ultimate performs on the same hardware.)

Even when i grabbed one of friend's notebook who has a Gigabit ethernet port, the direct-to-modem connection shows 1.0Gbps but the internet download speed is still horrible. 

Is it the problem with the modem itself?

How long ago did you receive the modem?
There are some issues with earlier firmware, and can take 3+ days for it to get the latest firmware pushed.  That MIGHT solve some.

The other part.. MIGHT be with that switch, even if its the latest firmware..
The unit has some issues linking properly with some 10/100 devices.. so it could be choking out at that point and effecting the speed
Latest firmware, with a gigabit connection to it, should be fine.

croquette
I Plan to Stick Around

Just this morning. The modem itself has listed its SW ver as 4.2.4.3, i guess that's the latest one.

As previously stated, I tried connecting the modem directly to a notebook with gigabit connection and still getting horrible speed.

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

croquette:

I also have the Realtek GBE Family Controller on my mother board on a new PC. It's a 10/100/1000 and does up to 1Ghz full duplex. Check Datalink's post on the previous page explaining how you can find your speed setting.

croquette
I Plan to Stick Around

That solution you mentioned, was actually done by the technician when i asked for technical support. Yes, the 1.0Gbps option was there, selected, and didn't have any effect