Hybrid Fiber 250... so much lag

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Redemption
I Plan to Stick Around

Hybrid Fiber 250... so much lag

So when i first got the Hybrid Fiber 250 like 2 weeks ago everything was fine now every webpage loads slow.   In ventrillo my ping spikes to 300-7000 randomly and i get lots of diconnects(i see clones of my self in vent)   Before i was on the old ultimate package this never happend. Does anyone know whats going on?    I have not made any changes in the past 2 weeks and i dont even use any wifi.  My connection is wired but its so bad.  I cant even finish a speed test/rogers speed test.

My speed test shows  5 ping / 58mbs( . .. 1 week ago it was like 322... not even half of 250 tottally messed up) upload didn't even show and eventually just gets stuck and nothing happens(waited like half an hour once)

rogers speed speed shows 318 mbs(sure doesn't feel like it)  and the upload speed slowly goes down by 0.01 each second and eventually times out there too so i dont even know.   I'm using the new rogers CGN3.   

anything i can do to fix this?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Redemption
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Hybrid Fiber 250... so much lag

Problem is fixed.   I plugged my ethernet cable thing into a different socket(i think thats what there called)  for some reason it seemed to have made the lag fo away just from using a different socket.     dl speed back up to normal and uploade no longer anything atrocious like 0.76.. .  thank u all for ur help

View solution in original post

All Replies
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Couple of questions.

Did you have the CGN3 before? or a different unit?

Are you running the unit in bridged mode with your own router.. or in gateway mode?

(if in gateway mode, what SW version is it showing?)

Have you rebooted the unit, and does it pick back up after the reboot?

Redemption
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm running it on what ever the default settings are. The only thing i changed was turn wireless off. I did not have the CGN3 before i had the cisco router which i used for my old ultimate but i had to upgrade it to this for the 250/20 package.   I have tried rebooting it to no avail. 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, so you are in gateway mode.

Can you log into it, and on the first page there, find out what SW version its showing??

Also click on the DOCSIS WAN tab, and see how many downstream and upstream channels are showing?

Redemption
I Plan to Stick Around

I can't log into my router anymore.   I have no idea why.     The webpage just wont load.    Stuck on connecting on any web browser i try.    The ip u put in is suppose to ur default getaway right.   if so 192.168.0.1 is not working. 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats odd..

if you were bridged to it.. yeah sure.. but that you are not (that your default gateway is its gateway IP), you should be able to access it via that IP.

Sounds like to me.. that something is REALLY buggered up with it, could be teh sause of your other issues as well, etc.

Redemption
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm able to load the page now.  not sure how it fixed it self.      as for the info your asked for it here it is.   my sw version is 4.2.4.3

the docsas wan tab shows 20 downstreams and 3 upstreams.      speedtest shows 28 ping.  38 mbs  and the upload wont even attempt to start connecting 😞

Edit:  http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3511261102

I need to give them a call tommorow.. totally unacceptable speed/upload

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you haven't done it already, you should go ahead and reset the modem back to factory default settings by holding the reset button for more than 5 seconds.  I've had a CGN3 for a little over a week, now upgraded to the latest firmware, but, I had to do that in order to bring up the wifi and get it to finally run.  Without the reset, it wouldn't run either the 2.4 or 5 GHz wifi.  The downside is having to reset all of your settings, but I would try that first and see if it makes a difference.  As a note, I started like you did, in gateway mode with the wifi turned off, and am running the 2.4 GHz wifi at the moment.  Also consider the possiblity that yes, there is something drastically wrong with it, and that a replacement is needed.  I would do that next.  If that doesn't solve the problem, its time for a tech visit.

Redemption
I Plan to Stick Around

Datalink,

I dont know..  I dont think theres anything wrong with it because it ran nicely for 2 weeks.    What do u mean run the 2.4 or 5 ghz wifi? does that mean using wireless connections? if so i dont use wireless connections in my apartment.   stricty wired all times so i keep the wireless settings off.    I have tried a factory reset a bit before i made this thread as well. 

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok. Factory reset done.  There isn't much else you can do with it.  Time for an exchange or a tech visit, which will probably result in the same thing.  Fwiw, starting up my CGN3 from a cold start today, it would not complete its registration process and provide an internet connection.  Finally after numerous reboots on its own, it decided to run properly.  Tech support indicated that there were no other problems in the neighbourhood.  So, it will go back tomorrow for a replacement.