Hybrid Fiber 250... so much lag

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
croquette
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Hybrid Fiber 250... so much lag

@VivienM wrote:

@croquette wrote:
Our house has ethernet wirings inside the wall, so it's one port for every room

Could THAT be part of the problem? I know some people have in-wall Cat 5 wiring that only is set up to use 2(?) pairs, which is fine for 10/100BaseT, but try doing gigabit and... oooooooooops.

i figured the wiring won't do gigabit because when connecting to the in-wall cables, the speed is always shown as 100Mbps while the other cables (not in wall) will give me 1.0Gbps line, but the more pressing matter is why it couldn't even reach 40Mbps on a setup that has always gave me 90+Mbps on Rogers Ultimate.

All the in-wall cables are Cat 5e but the owner did some work on the cables that appear similar to this:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Hack-your-House-Run-both-ethernet-and-phone-over-/

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, so it looks like you have Cat5 keystones installed in your house.  If this was completed by the previous home owner keep in mind that it is very easy to install the keystones and connectors incorrectly.  All it takes is a wire that wasn't punched down correctly on the keystone or a wire that doesn't make a proper connection within the Cat5 connector.  The only way to test the wiring is with a Lan Tester as shown here:

1.  http://www.lowes.ca/search/default.aspx?term=LAN+TESTER   look at the HV-Tools HV468CT Cable Tester  and IDEAL LinkMaster™ Tester

2.  http://www.amazon.ca/Cables-To-Go-Network-Modular/dp/B00006L4UP

These will tell you if you have continuity on all wires within the cable, from end point to end point.  Its worth having one of these around to check for faulty circuits from time to time. 

You could do a quick visual check on a keystone to ensure that all 8 wires have been punched down.  Just be careful when you pull the wall plate out that you don't pull too hard and cause any of the wires to dislodge. If all 8 wires are not punched down, you will end up with an unusual signal condition within the cable.  From experience I can say that the effect of one pair not connecting properly will drop the data rate down into the 40 to 50 Mb/s range from the expected 250 Mb/s and above.  With the older plans, this was not detectable as the modem / router was not pushing enough data to see the problem.

Just for the heck of it, you could pull the switch off of the CGN3, reboot and then try a test, if you haven't done it in that order already.  Pulling the switch off and then rebooting should ensure that any effect of the 10/100 limitation is gone prior to running a test.

A gigabit switch and house Cat 5e will run faster provided there are no issues with the keystones or connectors.  We're seeing 325Mb/s with that type or installation.  The combination might run considerably faster but I haven't taken the time to determine how to run an internal test to see what the max data rate might be.  In theory 1 Gb/s, but the faster you get, the easier it is to have problems with cables and connectors.

croquette
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink wrote:

Ok, so it looks like you have Cat5 keystones installed in your house.  If this was completed by the previous home owner keep in mind that it is very easy to install the keystones and connectors incorrectly.  All it takes is a wire that wasn't punched down correctly on the keystone or a wire that doesn't make a proper connection within the Cat5 connector.  The only way to test the wiring is with a Lan Tester as shown here:

1.  http://www.lowes.ca/search/default.aspx?term=LAN+TESTER   look at the HV-Tools HV468CT Cable Tester  and IDEAL LinkMaster™ Tester

2.  http://www.amazon.ca/Cables-To-Go-Network-Modular/dp/B00006L4UP

These will tell you if you have continuity on all wires within the cable, from end point to end point.  Its worth having one of these around to check for faulty circuits from time to time. 

You could do a quick visual check on a keystone to ensure that all 8 wires have been punched down.  Just be careful when you pull the wall plate out that you don't pull too hard and cause any of the wires to dislodge. If all 8 wires are not punched down, you will end up with an unusual signal condition within the cable.  From experience I can say that the effect of one pair not connecting properly will drop the data rate down into the 40 to 50 Mb/s range from the expected 250 Mb/s and above.  With the older plans, this was not detectable as the modem / router was not pushing enough data to see the problem.

Just for the heck of it, you could pull the switch off of the CGN3, reboot and then try a test, if you haven't done it in that order already.  Pulling the switch off and then rebooting should ensure that any effect of the 10/100 limitation is gone prior to running a test.

A gigabit switch and house Cat 5e will run faster provided there are no issues with the keystones or connectors.  We're seeing 325Mb/s with that type or installation.  The combination might run considerably faster but I haven't taken the time to determine how to run an internal test to see what the max data rate might be.  In theory 1 Gb/s, but the faster you get, the easier it is to have problems with cables and connectors.

update:

on Thursday morning i once again contacted the technical support. But then he told me to reboot the modem which resulted in modem being offline after reboot. We lost access to internet for the whole day. I requested a technician visit, who came on Friday morning. He replaced the coax cables and even replaced the modem but the condition (internet below 35Mbps) still persists. he escalated the problem to rogers and by the end of the day, we got the speed back up to 94Mbps. 

All it took later was to install the gigabit switch and repair the keystones. We're getting great speed, as seen in http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3581268258.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats a great result.  It's basically the same (read identical results) that I am seeing in my house.  A very nice improvement.  When you were doing the initial testing and went from 35 to 94 Mp/s, was that with the 10/100 switch still installed?  If so, I'm wondering what Rogers did to get that speed up to 94Mp/s with the 10/100 switch installed.  And when you installed the gigabit switch, I'm assuming that the improvement was instantaneous?  Just wondering.  Did you have to do much work on the keystones at all?  Details, details, details....:)

For anyone wanting to see the test result, you have to copy the link and paste into your web browser and then delete the tailend "period" before hitting enter.  If not, the address fails to direct the browser to the correct page.

The end result went from 35 Mb/s to 327.58 Mb/s download and 20.96 Mb/s upload.  🙂

croquette
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink wrote:

Thats a great result.  It's basically the same (read identical results) that I am seeing in my house.  A very nice improvement.  When you were doing the initial testing and went from 35 to 94 Mp/s, was that with the 10/100 switch still installed?  If so, I'm wondering what Rogers did to get that speed up to 94Mp/s with the 10/100 switch installed.  And when you installed the gigabit switch, I'm assuming that the improvement was instantaneous?  Just wondering.  Did you have to do much work on the keystones at all?  Details, details, details....:)

For anyone wanting to see the test result, you have to copy the link and paste into your web browser and then delete the tailend "period" before hitting enter.  If not, the address fails to direct the browser to the correct page.

The end result went from 35 Mb/s to 327.58 Mb/s download and 20.96 Mb/s upload.  🙂

Yes, it went from 35 to 94Mbps with the 10/100 switch attached.

Actually i do think that it's already 250+ by that time, it just shows 94 because of:

1. the hacked Cat5e cables (limits the ethernet to 100Mbps max. It won't give you lower than that, it just won't take you to gigabit speed.)

2. the i-don't-know-how-old-it-is 10/100 switch.

that was the next two issues we needed to fix.

the gigabit switch arrived by the end of Friday and I got the new tools (puncher+keystones) this afternoon.

The hacked cables only has 1 pair of wires (blue/whiteblue) on both ends connected to a phone jack so punching them back into the ethernet keystone fixed it. 

That took less than 5 minutes, and to think that i have no experience doing these kind of things in the first place, it's quite easy. 

About what Rogers did to get the speed back up, i don't know. More like they set the wrong download speed, who knows?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Congrats and well done.  So, both ends of the house Cat 5e are terminated with all wire pairs punched down at the keystone and all pairs connected on the far end Cat 5 connector, so that you have end to end connectivity on all wire pairs?  And...has the modem come back up to Version 4.2.4.3 for the firmware yet?  If not, when you notice that it does, run a factory reset so that there is no doubt that everything is back to default settings for that version.  Of course, that will require you to reenter your own settings.  Hopefully, after that, you won't have to look at them for a very long time.  Be very careful with the 110 puncher.  Its very easy for that tool to slip and slice into your hand (the voice of experience speaking) given how sharp it is 😞 

pink091966
I've Been Around

I just got my modem from high speed ultimate and this is slow as molasess .34 dowload and .05 upload. Did some pingingand changing but this will be goinng back if it continues junk

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you have followed this thread..

How/what are you connecting to it?
Your own router?  If so, what model?
Are you on the latest firmware?
Are you wired or wirelessly connecting?

All of this can contribute to a bad combination to get things proper.
There are many people who have the 250 and getting proper speeds, so it is doable.

Did you install the modem, etc yourself?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

And.....what model of Rogers modem / router do you have?

starblazer
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi not sure if this is the right thread to ask this question but I just bought a CGN3 modem with 250/20 and at first it wasnt getting proper speed but sorted itself out.So now the speed is correct when I do a rogers speed check but my usnet download programs are only running around 50 down.Does anyone have a suggestion as to why this would be happening.