cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hybrid Fiber 250... so much lag

Redemption
I Plan to Stick Around

So when i first got the Hybrid Fiber 250 like 2 weeks ago everything was fine now every webpage loads slow.   In ventrillo my ping spikes to 300-7000 randomly and i get lots of diconnects(i see clones of my self in vent)   Before i was on the old ultimate package this never happend. Does anyone know whats going on?    I have not made any changes in the past 2 weeks and i dont even use any wifi.  My connection is wired but its so bad.  I cant even finish a speed test/rogers speed test.

My speed test shows  5 ping / 58mbs( . .. 1 week ago it was like 322... not even half of 250 tottally messed up) upload didn't even show and eventually just gets stuck and nothing happens(waited like half an hour once)

rogers speed speed shows 318 mbs(sure doesn't feel like it)  and the upload speed slowly goes down by 0.01 each second and eventually times out there too so i dont even know.   I'm using the new rogers CGN3.   

anything i can do to fix this?

***edited labels***

77 REPLIES 77

Re: Hybrid Fiber 250... so much lag

daviddu
I Plan to Stick Around

Yup it's my network card. I just did a test on my cousin's laptop wired got the 60/10 also on the wireless 5G was 60/10. So since I don't have a slot open for network card and don't want to buy a new mobo, I think a wireless usb adapter should work for me.

daviddu
I Plan to Stick Around

I did a speedtest on my cousin's laptop both wired and wireless on the 5G, was getting the speed from my plan. So it's my networkcard thats the problem. But I have no open slots for a new one and don't want to buy a new mobo. So i'll give this a shot! Seems like it'll work!

daviddu
I Plan to Stick Around

Would any wireless usb adapter be okay? Like the brand or the speed.

I don't have a recommendation for this except to buy a dual band adapter at the very least.  The adapter mentioned earlier is a good example of one.  If you do a search for "usb wireless adapter review" you should find some reviews that might be helpful.  If you could ever see yourself buying another router with 802.11ac capability in the near future, you might want to consider buying an 802.11ac adapter.

With a dual band adapter, I suspect that you would most likely run a 5Ghz link between the CGN3 and your pc in order to obtain the highest transfer rate between the two.

croquette
I Plan to Stick Around

Just upgraded to Rogers Fiber Hybrid 250. However, the download speed is just 20-30Mbps compared to the advertised 250Mbps, though I am satisfied with the upload speed.

So I contacted the customer service, who, in the end failed to solve the problem and suggested checking the network card or exchanging the modem (CGN3). 

I am using the PC with onboard Realtek GBE PciE whose connection went only up to 100Mbps possibly due to the 100/10 switch we have downstairs. But the question is, why it just went 30Mbps and failed to at least reach 80-90Mbps like the previous package we have (Rogers Ultimate Hi-Speed Unlimited).

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3567321681 (CGN3 modem, Hybrid Fiber 250)

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3147204888 (the highest Rogers Ultimate performs on the same hardware.)

Even when i grabbed one of friend's notebook who has a Gigabit ethernet port, the direct-to-modem connection shows 1.0Gbps but the internet download speed is still horrible. 

Is it the problem with the modem itself?