cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hybrid Fiber 250... so much lag

Redemption
I Plan to Stick Around

So when i first got the Hybrid Fiber 250 like 2 weeks ago everything was fine now every webpage loads slow.   In ventrillo my ping spikes to 300-7000 randomly and i get lots of diconnects(i see clones of my self in vent)   Before i was on the old ultimate package this never happend. Does anyone know whats going on?    I have not made any changes in the past 2 weeks and i dont even use any wifi.  My connection is wired but its so bad.  I cant even finish a speed test/rogers speed test.

My speed test shows  5 ping / 58mbs( . .. 1 week ago it was like 322... not even half of 250 tottally messed up) upload didn't even show and eventually just gets stuck and nothing happens(waited like half an hour once)

rogers speed speed shows 318 mbs(sure doesn't feel like it)  and the upload speed slowly goes down by 0.01 each second and eventually times out there too so i dont even know.   I'm using the new rogers CGN3.   

anything i can do to fix this?

***edited labels***

77 REPLIES 77

Re: Hybrid Fiber 250... so much lag

daviddu
I Plan to Stick Around

Would any wireless usb adapter be okay? Like the brand or the speed.

I don't have a recommendation for this except to buy a dual band adapter at the very least.  The adapter mentioned earlier is a good example of one.  If you do a search for "usb wireless adapter review" you should find some reviews that might be helpful.  If you could ever see yourself buying another router with 802.11ac capability in the near future, you might want to consider buying an 802.11ac adapter.

With a dual band adapter, I suspect that you would most likely run a 5Ghz link between the CGN3 and your pc in order to obtain the highest transfer rate between the two.

croquette
I Plan to Stick Around

Just upgraded to Rogers Fiber Hybrid 250. However, the download speed is just 20-30Mbps compared to the advertised 250Mbps, though I am satisfied with the upload speed.

So I contacted the customer service, who, in the end failed to solve the problem and suggested checking the network card or exchanging the modem (CGN3). 

I am using the PC with onboard Realtek GBE PciE whose connection went only up to 100Mbps possibly due to the 100/10 switch we have downstairs. But the question is, why it just went 30Mbps and failed to at least reach 80-90Mbps like the previous package we have (Rogers Ultimate Hi-Speed Unlimited).

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3567321681 (CGN3 modem, Hybrid Fiber 250)

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3147204888 (the highest Rogers Ultimate performs on the same hardware.)

Even when i grabbed one of friend's notebook who has a Gigabit ethernet port, the direct-to-modem connection shows 1.0Gbps but the internet download speed is still horrible. 

Is it the problem with the modem itself?

@daviddu wrote:

Yup it's my network card. I just did a test on my cousin's laptop wired got the 60/10 also on the wireless 5G was 60/10. So since I don't have a slot open for network card and don't want to buy a new mobo, I think a wireless usb adapter should work for me.

If you are NOT using the PCI-1x slot (the tiny little slot), you CAN add a network card.

Overall, i am not a fan of the USB wireless cards, just due to that the USB may always be a bottleneck, depending on the USB port, what other devices are using the USB BUS, etc..

@croquette wrote:

Just upgraded to Rogers Fiber Hybrid 250. However, the download speed is just 20-30Mbps compared to the advertised 250Mbps, though I am satisfied with the upload speed.

So I contacted the customer service, who, in the end failed to solve the problem and suggested checking the network card or exchanging the modem (CGN3). 

I am using the PC with onboard Realtek GBE PciE whose connection went only up to 100Mbps possibly due to the 100/10 switch we have downstairs. But the question is, why it just went 30Mbps and failed to at least reach 80-90Mbps like the previous package we have (Rogers Ultimate Hi-Speed Unlimited).

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3567321681 (CGN3 modem, Hybrid Fiber 250)

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3147204888 (the highest Rogers Ultimate performs on the same hardware.)

Even when i grabbed one of friend's notebook who has a Gigabit ethernet port, the direct-to-modem connection shows 1.0Gbps but the internet download speed is still horrible. 

Is it the problem with the modem itself?

How long ago did you receive the modem?
There are some issues with earlier firmware, and can take 3+ days for it to get the latest firmware pushed.  That MIGHT solve some.

The other part.. MIGHT be with that switch, even if its the latest firmware..
The unit has some issues linking properly with some 10/100 devices.. so it could be choking out at that point and effecting the speed
Latest firmware, with a gigabit connection to it, should be fine.

croquette
I Plan to Stick Around

Just this morning. The modem itself has listed its SW ver as 4.2.4.3, i guess that's the latest one.

As previously stated, I tried connecting the modem directly to a notebook with gigabit connection and still getting horrible speed.

croquette:

I also have the Realtek GBE Family Controller on my mother board on a new PC. It's a 10/100/1000 and does up to 1Ghz full duplex. Check Datalink's post on the previous page explaining how you can find your speed setting.

croquette
I Plan to Stick Around
That solution you mentioned, was actually done by the technician when i asked for technical support. Yes, the 1.0Gbps option was there, selected, and didn't have any effect

Ok, I see you have the latest firmware Ver 4.2.4.3 already installed. I would recommmend doing a factory reset.  That requires you to reenter the settings again, but that isn't a huge job.  Whenever I've had a CGN3 give poor results I've run a factory reset, and have done more than one successive reset to get to a point where the CGN3 behaves as I expect it to.  Don't know if anyone else has had that experience, but I'm satisfied with its performance at the moment.

Fwiw, I'm running the 250Mb/s service with the modem upstairs and a 10/100/1000 Dlink DGS-1008D unmanaged switch downstairs which connects to all of the rooms outside my office.  Testing with a direct connection to the CGN3, or thru the house Cat 5e wiring and switch to another room, I end up with the same results, download peaks at 325Mb/s and upload runs at 20Mb/s from both the Rogers and Speedtest.net tests. 

Additional food for thought.  If there are any issues with cables, or connections, you will see a drastic reduction in the data rate from what you expect.  It could be something as simple as a connector backing out of the port just a millimeter or two.  So, beyond the firmware factory reset, and the possibility of a firmware bug when connecting to a 10/100 device, also consider the possibility or cable or connector problems.

croquette
I Plan to Stick Around
I'm getting a new gigabit switch that might arrive by the end of this week and hopefully the modem will fix itself soon or i'd need to call rogers again

Ok, I would still run the factory reset.  Between that and the gigabit switch, and baring any other cable or connector issue, those should resolve the issue.

not to 100% take away blame from the CGN3.. as its likely part of the problem why its not linking properly..

There seems to be more and more issues with the realtek stuff lately though..

I know they had some major issues with some of their wireless cards a while back.

(EG:  I had a realtek on my media PC. generally was OK.  Upgraded to a new version of the media server.. and as soon as it tried to access the network via that card.. would flood the network.
any other PC in the house with other cards, that same software.. works fine.  Added a PCI gigabit intel network card.. worked flawlessly since)

REAL test to see if its the connection/MODEM itself.. or something with just that card not talking with the SMC nicely.. would be to try ANOTHER PC.

croquette
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

not to 100% take away blame from the CGN3.. as its likely part of the problem why its not linking properly..

There seems to be more and more issues with the realtek stuff lately though..

I know they had some major issues with some of their wireless cards a while back.

(EG:  I had a realtek on my media PC. generally was OK.  Upgraded to a new version of the media server.. and as soon as it tried to access the network via that card.. would flood the network.
any other PC in the house with other cards, that same software.. works fine.  Added a PCI gigabit intel network card.. worked flawlessly since)

REAL test to see if its the connection/MODEM itself.. or something with just that card not talking with the SMC nicely.. would be to try ANOTHER PC.

Actually, as for now, i've tried using 4 different machines: 2 PC with realtek cards, 2 notebooks with atheros, all gigabit

but still, the speed hasn't exceeded 35mbps in all run

In all of your test cases, were those pc's/notebooks running thru the 10/100 switch or were they direct connection with the CGN3 with the 10/100 switch still connected to another CGN3 port?  Did you ever test the CGN3 throughput with the 10/100 switch disconnected?  Additional food for thought: confirm with tech support if in fact the CGN3 is configured for the level of service that you are paying for.  Simple question, but perhaps one that shouldn't be overlooked.  At the same time, tech support should be able to look at the signal levels and signal to noise ratios for inbound and outbound signals and confirm that you don't have an external cable problem.  Trying to cover all the possible combinations here.....

croquette
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink wrote:

In all of your test cases, were those pc's/notebooks running thru the 10/100 switch or were they direct connection with the CGN3 with the 10/100 switch still connected to another CGN3 port?  Did you ever test the CGN3 throughput with the 10/100 switch disconnected?  Additional food for thought: confirm with tech support if in fact the CGN3 is configured for the level of service that you are paying for.  Simple question, but perhaps one that shouldn't be overlooked.  At the same time, tech support should be able to look at the signal levels and signal to noise ratios for inbound and outbound signals and confirm that you don't have an external cable problem.  Trying to cover all the possible combinations here.....

Did batch 1 (regular setup, modem -> switch -> house network cables) with 4 different machines

Did batch 2 (direct connection) with 3 machines, all yield pretty much same results

gonna look into this more

When you ran the batch 2 tests, was the 10/100 switch still connected to another port on the CGN3?  If so, can you run one test with the switch disconnected from the CGN3?

croquette
I Plan to Stick Around
Our house has ethernet wirings inside the wall, so it's one port for every room

Batch 2 was technically pulling all the network cables' end from the switch and plugging it to the 4 slots in the modem.
So, yes. The switch was disconnected from the GCN.

@croquette wrote:

Could THAT be part of the problem? I know some people have in-wall Cat 5 wiring that only is set up to use 2(?) pairs, which is fine for 10/100BaseT, but try doing gigabit and... oooooooooops.

croquette
I Plan to Stick Around

@VivienM wrote:

@croquette wrote:

Could THAT be part of the problem? I know some people have in-wall Cat 5 wiring that only is set up to use 2(?) pairs, which is fine for 10/100BaseT, but try doing gigabit and... oooooooooops.

i figured the wiring won't do gigabit because when connecting to the in-wall cables, the speed is always shown as 100Mbps while the other cables (not in wall) will give me 1.0Gbps line, but the more pressing matter is why it couldn't even reach 40Mbps on a setup that has always gave me 90+Mbps on Rogers Ultimate.

All the in-wall cables are Cat 5e but the owner did some work on the cables that appear similar to this:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Hack-your-House-Run-both-ethernet-and-phone-over-/

Ok, so it looks like you have Cat5 keystones installed in your house.  If this was completed by the previous home owner keep in mind that it is very easy to install the keystones and connectors incorrectly.  All it takes is a wire that wasn't punched down correctly on the keystone or a wire that doesn't make a proper connection within the Cat5 connector.  The only way to test the wiring is with a Lan Tester as shown here:

1.  http://www.lowes.ca/search/default.aspx?term=LAN+TESTER   look at the HV-Tools HV468CT Cable Tester  and IDEAL LinkMaster™ Tester

2.  http://www.amazon.ca/Cables-To-Go-Network-Modular/dp/B00006L4UP

These will tell you if you have continuity on all wires within the cable, from end point to end point.  Its worth having one of these around to check for faulty circuits from time to time. 

You could do a quick visual check on a keystone to ensure that all 8 wires have been punched down.  Just be careful when you pull the wall plate out that you don't pull too hard and cause any of the wires to dislodge. If all 8 wires are not punched down, you will end up with an unusual signal condition within the cable.  From experience I can say that the effect of one pair not connecting properly will drop the data rate down into the 40 to 50 Mb/s range from the expected 250 Mb/s and above.  With the older plans, this was not detectable as the modem / router was not pushing enough data to see the problem.

Just for the heck of it, you could pull the switch off of the CGN3, reboot and then try a test, if you haven't done it in that order already.  Pulling the switch off and then rebooting should ensure that any effect of the 10/100 limitation is gone prior to running a test.

A gigabit switch and house Cat 5e will run faster provided there are no issues with the keystones or connectors.  We're seeing 325Mb/s with that type or installation.  The combination might run considerably faster but I haven't taken the time to determine how to run an internal test to see what the max data rate might be.  In theory 1 Gb/s, but the faster you get, the easier it is to have problems with cables and connectors.

croquette
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink wrote:

Ok, so it looks like you have Cat5 keystones installed in your house.  If this was completed by the previous home owner keep in mind that it is very easy to install the keystones and connectors incorrectly.  All it takes is a wire that wasn't punched down correctly on the keystone or a wire that doesn't make a proper connection within the Cat5 connector.  The only way to test the wiring is with a Lan Tester as shown here:

1.  http://www.lowes.ca/search/default.aspx?term=LAN+TESTER   look at the HV-Tools HV468CT Cable Tester  and IDEAL LinkMaster™ Tester

2.  http://www.amazon.ca/Cables-To-Go-Network-Modular/dp/B00006L4UP

These will tell you if you have continuity on all wires within the cable, from end point to end point.  Its worth having one of these around to check for faulty circuits from time to time. 

You could do a quick visual check on a keystone to ensure that all 8 wires have been punched down.  Just be careful when you pull the wall plate out that you don't pull too hard and cause any of the wires to dislodge. If all 8 wires are not punched down, you will end up with an unusual signal condition within the cable.  From experience I can say that the effect of one pair not connecting properly will drop the data rate down into the 40 to 50 Mb/s range from the expected 250 Mb/s and above.  With the older plans, this was not detectable as the modem / router was not pushing enough data to see the problem.

Just for the heck of it, you could pull the switch off of the CGN3, reboot and then try a test, if you haven't done it in that order already.  Pulling the switch off and then rebooting should ensure that any effect of the 10/100 limitation is gone prior to running a test.

A gigabit switch and house Cat 5e will run faster provided there are no issues with the keystones or connectors.  We're seeing 325Mb/s with that type or installation.  The combination might run considerably faster but I haven't taken the time to determine how to run an internal test to see what the max data rate might be.  In theory 1 Gb/s, but the faster you get, the easier it is to have problems with cables and connectors.

update:

on Thursday morning i once again contacted the technical support. But then he told me to reboot the modem which resulted in modem being offline after reboot. We lost access to internet for the whole day. I requested a technician visit, who came on Friday morning. He replaced the coax cables and even replaced the modem but the condition (internet below 35Mbps) still persists. he escalated the problem to rogers and by the end of the day, we got the speed back up to 94Mbps. 

All it took later was to install the gigabit switch and repair the keystones. We're getting great speed, as seen in http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3581268258.