Hybrid Fiber 250... so much lag

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Hybrid Fiber 250... so much lag

Thats not bad of a mini AXT form factor board actually.. supprises the heck out of me that it has only a 10/100 in it.

Normally i would say, just get a 10/100/1000 PCI card..

LOOKS like you might have a free 1x slot though.

Could go with something like this.
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1048_1052&item_id=028356

All in all, gigabit would eliminate any bottlencks anyways.
EVEN IF You were getting top speeds on your existing, wouldnt get 250, etc with it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As Gdkitty has indicated, the CGN 3 appears to have issues connecting to a 100mbs device, which is what is contained on your motherboard.  The Realtek PCIE x1 LAN RTL8105E contained on your motherboard only operates at 10/100 Mb/s, so if you are paying for the 250Mb/s service for this computer only, you are wasting money.  Even running perfectly, you would still only be running at 100Mb/s max.  If you have other faster devices that you are using, its not such a bad situation.  

So, you have three choices:

1.   If you want to save money and reuse your existing processor and video card, find another motherboard that will support your current processor.  Your motherboard appears fairly recent but limited in terms of memory and PCI slots, so its probably possible to find another board that will allow you to keep the processor and which shouldn't be terribly expensive. 

2.   Buy and install a Gigabit PCIe Network Adapter.  This will run anywhere from $15 to maybe $45 depending on what you buy.  Your motherboard only has two slots, one of which is taken up with a video card.  If the other slot is open, buy a PCI Express 2.0 x1 network adapter.  The x1 requirement reduces the number of choices that are available for a Network Interface Card.  If this slot is already filled with another x1 card of some type, you don't have any choice but to install another motherboard.

3.   Leaving the most expensive as the last option:   Replace the processor and motherboard, or buy another pc altogether and keep your current pc for purposes other than gaming.

I'm an Advisor

@daviddu wrote:

Yeah had a tech visit and he swapped to a different CGN3. My network card is built in to the mother board I don't think I can replace it unless buying a new mobo. ASRock H61M-HVS is my mobo

Do you have a laptop with an Ethernet port floating around that you could use for testing?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I doubt it's your built in LAN. I looked at your MB specs is a current enough motherboard that you shouldn't be having these issues. Check that your drivers are up to date.  You can disable the onboard network card and add an expansion LAN card if you want. I'm currently running my desktop off a USB dongle WifI it works great and is pretty inexpensive.

Here's the dongle I use:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1048_1053&item_id=042522

And the speed results I get with my 60/10 plan (better then advertised speed) and on Wifi 5G frequency:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3564213248

Worth a try if all else fails

I'm an Advisor

daviddu:

That's interesting. I have an SMCD3GN modem/router and the Extreme Plus package. I get download speeds around 60mbps and uploads at 4mbps, which is where it should be. I have a new high end PC and its onboard Realtek network adapter runs at 100mbps according to Windows Task Manager on a Win 8.1 system. My ping times are usually between 5 and 8ms using a couple of different speed tests. Even though the adapter is supposedly 100mbps, when I start a speed test, I always get speeds around 120mbps before it settles down and pulls back. I'm skeptical that Task Manager is identifying the network speed correctly, though. The Realtek card should be a 10/100/1000 like they all have been for years.

I'm an Advisor

@jimboden wrote:

daviddu:

The Realtek card should be a 10/100/1000 like they all have been for years.

I know this will sound shocking, but 10/100 cards were still sold on low-end laptops and maybe desktops not that long ago. Low-end Dell laptops were especially bad for this...

... and of course, those same machines also had single-band lousy wifi cards. Whoops.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Azuri21 wrote:

I doubt it's your built in LAN. I looked at your MB specs is a current enough motherboard that you shouldn't be having these issues. Check that your drivers are up to date.  You can disable the onboard network card and add an expansion LAN card if you want. I'm currently running my desktop off a USB dongle WifI it works great and is pretty inexpensive.

Thats not completely correct.

I looked up the board as well.

While it IS a fairly recent board.... the specifications for the card on it... ARE 10/100 only... it does NOT have a gigabit lan on it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here is something that you can quickly check:  go Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters....Properties.  Go to the "Advanced" Tab and scroll down to "Speed & Duplex".  In your case I suspect you should see choices of 10 Mbs Full Duplex, 10 Mbs Half Duplex and perhaps Auto Negotiate.  You might have 100 Mbs Full Duplex and 100 Mbs Half Duplex.  Depending on what you see, your choice should either be Auto Negotiate or 100 Mbs Full Duplex.  If its sitting on Half Duplex then you would have a mismatch between the CGN3 and your pc.  If its in Auto Negotiate, and you have 100 Mbs Full Duplex available as a choice, or vice versa, try changing to the other selection, reboot and see if it makes any difference.  You will have to be in an admin account to do this. 

If you didn't want add a network interface card to your pc you could also try installing an unmanaged gigabit switch between the CGN3 and your pc.  That way the CGN3 will interface at gigabit rates and the pc will interface at its max 100MB/s rate.  Here is an example of one:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1045_355&item_id=063443

Fwiw, the realtek site  http://www.realtek.com/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=7&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=249  shows that this controller only runs contains an "Integrated 10/100 transceiver"  which "Supports Full Duplex flow control (IEEE 802.3x)".

So, at the very most, I would think that you should see something in the high 80 or 90 Mb/s depending on how much memory you have and possibly dependant on your hard drive speed.  Even with a 10/100/1000 Mb/s controller onboard, the rest of the pc also matters in determining the download / upload rates.

I'm an Advisor

VivienM:

Yes, that sounds realistic for some types of computers, even today. I based my comments on my experiences. I have a 4 year old HP mid-tower computer which I plan to sell. Its Realtek card is 10/100/1000.

I'm an Advisor

Datalink:

Thanks for that useful tip! I looked at mine (a Realtek on a Win 8.1 system) and it goes up to 1Gbps Full Duplex. It's actually set to auto negotiation which probably makes sense.