Hybrid Fiber 250... so much lag

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Redemption
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Hybrid Fiber 250... so much lag

So what are my options then? I don't really have money to spend on a tech to do some reset or something to my router.  If exchanging is my only option is it free or some sort of fee.   The honest to god weird thing is i dont notice any lag on games like league of legends and diablo 3.   they all run pretty smooth.    Yet when i am browsing(chrome, ie,fox..doesn't matter what)  webpages sometimes takes forever to load(talkin like 11 seconds)  I figured something out with my ventrilo(its located in chicago and i never use to lag on it for like 3 years)  my ping usually never spikes until someone talks or i talk.   

Honestly yesterday i did a speedtest and my upload was 0.78?(adverstised of 20.00)  how is that even possible.   Thats like the lowest of lows.  my download speed is actually really high to about 325mbs but my upload speed has been terrible all of yesterday(between 1-2, at one point even going 0.78 like i mentioned earlier)   

I tried to do a rogers speed test and i cant even complete it because it times out when it gets to the upload part lol.   It finishes around 10 ish then just keeps going down by 0.01 until it eventually times out.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Assuming this modem is a rental?

Call in to tech support.. have them see if they can do anything from their end.. reset it, reload it from their end, etc.

(this wont cost you anything)

If they can not.. then best bet, would be to exchange it.

You can go into any rogers store, and should be able to exchange it.. again, at no cost.

Smartswine
I Plan to Stick Around

I would recommend to look from a different angle here; do you have an antivirus app installed on your machine? from what I understand this might be a virus... my favourite remedies are - AVP, McAfee, or Norton
Redemption
I Plan to Stick Around

I had avg internet security 2014 but im using avast free antivirus now.  I didn't get a chance to call them today but i will first thing tommorow.   in the meantime if anyone else has got something that would be nice.     browsing seems to have gotten somewhat better.   the only thing that really is bothersome is my ventrillo lag.   No lag yet when  i or someone else talks i get insane lag(30 ping when no talking,  300-22500 ping when someone talks)   I think this maybe rogers packet filtering vent or something i don't know.   when i was on a worse package last year my ping was only like 15-20 in vent with no spikes.   how could an increase of 100mbs and 20 upload make it worse.     no viruses found either by the way used like 3 diferent anti viruses.  

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here is a suggestion for you.  Do another Factory reset and follow the settings below to see what comes out of it.  I swapped a CGN3 today for another CGN3, and since then have been adjusting and trialing settings to see what happens.  The configuration below is stable and appears to work without any issues in download rates or ping times.  My intention is to leave the wireless off until the firmware upgrade occurs, at which time I’ll run more tests with different configurations.

Before you get into this, can you describe your network, including the max connection rates to any devices you have connected to the CGN3?  That might require you to have a look at the specs for all devices on your network.  Do you have any devices in the network that are limited to 10/100 MB/s connection rates by any chance?

To run the Factory reset, press the Factory reset button at the back of the modem for 10 seconds and let go, or log into the modem and under Admin – Device Reset, hit the Factory Reset selection.  I had to do this more than once until the Factory Reset was really done.  Don’t assume that selecting it via the rear button, or via software selection will work on the first go.  That sounds rather odd I’ll admit, but that is what I observed today.  The 4.1.4.5 version will reset with both 2.4 and 5 GHz wireless up and running when it’s completed the reset.  That can be seen on the front of the modem with both wireless symbol lights lit up.  I don’t remember if your version, 4.2.4.3 comes up the same way, but I suspect that it does.  If they don’t light up after a reset, run the reset again until they come up and / or they can be seen in the Status…Wireless page as being active.  This first step is to ensure that the modem is really reloaded back to a base configuration. 

Base CGN3 SW Version:   4.1.4.5    (Now waiting for firmware upgrade)

Basic:     Lan Setup:  Private Lan IP Address:  Set to 10.0.0.1   (You can leave this and the

DHCP End as is, if you

DHCP End IP: Set to 10.0.0.40                  prefer)

Gateway Function:    Residential Gateway Function:  Enabled  (Note: Default condition)

UPNP: Set to Disabled

DNS:        Lan Dns Obtain:  Set to Manual

DNS 1: Set to 208.67.222.222       (Open DNS.  You could use Google

or any other DNS)

DNS 2: Set to 208.67.222.220       (Open DNS)

Note that I have seen someone in the Forum advise not to use this.  I haven’t found any issues with it, yet, but that could mean that there is a problem that I haven’t stumbled across yet.  If I find anything unusual, my next step is to do another Factory Reset and leave the DNS setting alone.

Wireless:

2.4 GHz:                 Basic Settings:   Wireless Enabled:   Set to Off

5G:                         Basic Settings:   Wireless Enabled:   Set to Off

Admin: New Password: Set to current password

Confirm New Password: Set to current password

Security: Firewall Level: Remained on Minimum for now  (Default Condition)

VPN Passthrough

IPSec Passthrough:         Disabled

PPTP Passthrough:          Disabled

L2tp Passthrough:            Disabled

Note that with the VPN passthrough disabled, my spouse’s VPN back to her office still functions as expected.  I had thought this would disable it.  Apparently not.

Note: Admin Time Setting is left on default.  Don't do anything with this at the present time.  After numerous Factory Resets today, my thoughts at the current time is that there is an issue with enabling the SNTP Function in combination with the wireless selected as active.  This results in numerous reboots if and when the modem is restarted, and can result in a modem crash when the 2.4 GHz wireless is selected as enabled and the configuration save is attempted.  With the time setting left in its Factory reset condition, and wireless turned off, the modem appears to behave as it should.  On the 150 Mbit plan, the peak download observed is 200 Mb/s.  The Max upload observed is 16.6 Mb/s verses the stated 15 Mb/s.    

As you are in an apartment, also consider the fact that something has gone wrong with the connections in the apartment cable room.  That is something that the tech would have to check out.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers isnt packet filtering vent.. i use it on a fairly regular bassis.. and it works just fine, no issues.

Azuri21
I Plan to Stick Around

This may not be the case for anyone here but my scenario was similar I recently switch to the 60/10 package I was on the 25/2 prior with my own purchased SMC Rogers modem.  It was an early gen modem and I want to say CGN1 if that's a category it defiantly wasn't a 2 or 3. Anyways I ran that effortlessly via direct LAN or WiFi issue free in my living room. Here's the kicker I had a splitter off the line which also fed my HD box / TV. The old technology never had issues with it but as soon as I switched the new Hiltron CGN3 modem my down and up was all over the place sometimes it was good sometimes it sucked basically spiky as Leonardo DiCaprio's hair.

I went through all the modem resets bridge mode off and on using my external router then Hiltron's internal WiFi router and pretty much always the same result lagyy buffering internet and rubber banding in online games. I decided to move the Hiltron to it's original location which is dedicated and boosted via Rogers and instantly all my issues went away.

Moral of the story if you recently switch to these newer modems/packages make sure you are not doing any "homemade" splicing or splitting jobs the CGN3 and 2 Hiltron modems don't want to share unless Rogers does the hook up and with their equipment and signal boosters if required.

My modem is brand new I really didn't think it was defective so my experimenting paid off. All my calls to Rogers proved that there was no issues with my modem when they checked it remotely so my last step before have a tech come in was to do the switch above and voila.

Hope that may help some.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Definately agree with what Azuri21 says.

Be VERY VERY careful when putting your own splitters..

they may not be rated high enough for the rogers signals, etc.

In the case above.. the SMC was accessing only 4 channels, so only was accessing a smaller range of signals.  The CGN3 accesses up to 24.. so a MUCH wider range of signal... so could be that some of it was being cut off or interfeared by the splitter.

If you need/want to re-locate the modem.. get rogers in, and they can help to make sure everything is up to snuff.

sbenninger
I Plan to Stick Around

A few more questions:

How are you connected to the router? Directly or have you added another switch in between for more ports etc?

Have you tried changing network cables (at least cat 5e or 6) from the PCs to the router?

Does the speed problem exist on all your devices or just one?

Are you using rogers speedtest (tests speeds on rogers network) or others like speedtest.net or testmy.net(to test speeds to internet)?

Have you collected any Pings or traceroutes to www.google.ca at the slow and fast times to compare if it is rogers network issue?

As others have mentioned have you added any cable splitters or moved your modem yourself?

Redemption
I Plan to Stick Around

Problem is fixed.   I plugged my ethernet cable thing into a different socket(i think thats what there called)  for some reason it seemed to have made the lag fo away just from using a different socket.     dl speed back up to normal and uploade no longer anything atrocious like 0.76.. .  thank u all for ur help

View solution in original post