Hybrid 60, 150, 250, 350 throttled to 30 or 50Mbps with CGN3 except for Gigabit card

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Regular

Hybrid 60, 150, 250, 350 throttled to 30 or 50Mbps with CGN3 except for Gigabit card

the CGN3 cannot handle hi speed 60, 150, 250, etc...  connection speeds are cut to one third of maximum

100Mbps gets throttled back to about 30Mbps

150Mbps gets throttled back  to about 50Mbps (when a second device connects)

this happens with both wired and wireless connections

don't bother trying to get tech support or techxpert to fix it ... they can't do anything about it ... we are stuck with the CGN3 unless you bridge to your own which means more money

might as well subscribe to 60 unless you plan on a wired connection to a gigabit card... if you are all wireless like I am, the 150 and up won't give you any more than the 60 when you are sharing with others in your household

***edited labels***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Hybrid 60, 150, 250, 350 throttled to 30 or 50Mbps with CGN3 except for Gigabit card

Correct.  Its a bug that has been present since the last firmware and we inform quite a number of people about it.

with a 10/100 card, you will only get 30+ ish speed wise.

Connecting a gigabit card, placing a gigabit switch or router inbetween, you will be fine, and can get up to the 250 speeds no issues.

If you are on the 150 package.. you would want to have a gigabit card ANYWAYS.. as the 10/100 wouldnt give you enough to get the full amount of the package.

(wireless is a whole other issue..  the ROUTER itself, is fine on handling the speeds up to the 250 no issues... the wireless built in? maybe not so much.. not the greatest wireless parts in it, etc.   People have been able to do top speeds over wireless with the CGN3, but thats using their own router as an AP or bridge moding it)

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Re: Hybrid 60, 150, 250, 350 throttled to 30 or 50Mbps with CGN3 except for Gigabit card

@jszentir wrote:

might as well subscribe to 60 unless you plan on a wired connection to a gigabit card... if you are all wireless like I am, the 150 and up won't give you any more than the 60 when you are sharing with others in your household

Hold on a second - if you are 'all-wireless', what kind of wireless clients are we talking about?

2.4 single-stream cheap junk 802.11n (which includes 95% of Windows laptops out there), the maximum you can get is about 60 megabits/sec, and that assumes you live somewhere low-density.

5GHz dual-stream 802.11n, you should be able to get 120-130 megabits/sec?

For anything faster, you need 802.11ac gear (or the rare triple-stream 450-megabit 802.11n), and a CGN3 in bridge mode. I can tell you that I've done speedtests at speedtest.net at ~190 megabits/sec on my bridged CGN3, 802.11ac gear, and the Rogers 150 megabit plan.

But how is any of this Rogers' fault? Or the CGN3's?

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

explain why the CGN3 cuts my speed to 1/3 when another device connects and remains idle... not the router? not Rogers problem?  you gotta be kidding!

i've tested four CGN3's ... they all do the same thing... its clearly designed to throttle back devices... i can get 100Mpbs next to the router which is normal... it gets stepped down when there is more than one connected, and both just 2 feet from the router... not my equipment, all good stuff... Asus, Intel, etc.... if I get 100 on a 150 connection consistently, it should stay at 100 when other devices connect... why should I get throttled back?  The same thing happens when I reverse the order of the devices... in other words, each device gets good speed stand alone, yet gets throttled back when the other connects... go ahead... explain that

as you can see other people are experiencing the same problem... but then of course, as Rogers keeps saying, "Rogers does not guarantee wireless"

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

... and why should i have to purchase more equipment?  the CGN3 is supposed to support all the hybrid plans, yet it can't handle it... customers shouldn't have to bridge their routers and hit the firmware wall when vendors only supply firmware updates through providers... why not just supply a modem then if we have to bridge to something that works?  why do we have to pay for this?

more ridiculousness from Rogers is what this is... they should have gone with the Motorola Surfboard

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Something is up on your end.

There are others who have more than one device and the 150 or higher plans on here and don't have the same issue.

I have the 60 plan and do not get throttled, I have usually 4+ wireless clients, plus a few wired connected at all times.
I have been able to max out my download speed on a torrent download while all the devices connected, while on wireless.

And they have not chosen the surfboard as Motorola has not released a 24 channel device yet.

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

don't think so... i'm not the only one

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/198...

and there are others

from what i can see, everyone who wants better is bridging to their own router

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@jszentir wrote:

don't think so... i'm not the only one

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/198...

and there are others

from what i can see, everyone who wants better is bridging to their own router

Well, three things

1) There are many, many reasons other than just straight performance why more tech-savvy users would want their own routers rather than a CGN3 (or CGN2, which is far worse as a router - it can't even perform adequately for my parents)

2) When we're talking about the 150+ megabit plans, everything starts mattering. A fancy bridged 802.11ac router will do you no good if your clients aren't capable of anything above single-stream 2.4GHz 802.11n. Same thing if you have wiring in your walls that can only handle 100 megabit Ethernet. Getting above 60-70 megabits/sec... means that you either need to have chosen your hardware very carefully or have gotten lucky. This applies to network gear, PCs, tablets, smart TVs, everything.

3) The CGN3, fundamentally, is capable of much higher performance than its wireless side can handle. 24 DOCSIS 3 channels means... 850 megabits/sec (though the most Rogers sells is 250). The most you'll actually get out of its wireless side is probably about 140 megabits/sec. Maybe in a few months we'll see a CGN4 with 802.11ac support... but really, that will be silly because (see #1 and #2) almost no-one with 802.11ac-capable hardware will want to use the CGN4 as a router anyways.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just to set the record straight, with a 150 Mb/s service, you should be seeing a peak download rate of 200 mb/s or more with Speedboost kicking in. If you are not seeing that, then someone needs to look at your external cable signal power and signal to noise ratios. They don’t stay at peak performance levels and every now and then the cables and connectors need replacing. That should solve your modem data rate issues. Beyond that is possible node congestion, but that can’t really be assessed without knowing that your cable data rates are running where they should be.

You also need to assess your wireless environment using an application such as inSSIDer to determine if you are experiencing issues due to a wifi traffic jam in your neighborhood. If that is the case, you then need to determine what channels are less crowded in the 2.4 Ghz range, which will give you better wireless performance, and what devices you can shift up to the 5 Ghz network to get out of the traffic jam. Also, check your own home to determine if it has structured wiring installed and if can be used to relocate the CGN3 to a location that would be better suited for your wireless purposes.

You indicated that you were only getting a 100 Mb/s interconnect rate between the CGN3 and your gigabit card. Is that actually a gigabit card installed in a pc or what you presume is a gigabit port on the motherboard of a pc? If you look at the back of the CGN3 and the connected port LED is green, that indicates that the port is only running at 100 Mb/s max and that you can expect to see a maximum data throughput of about 35 Mb/s. That throughput is independent of the port connect rate, but it is subject to an internal firmware bug when the port to port connect rate is 100Mb/s. If the port LED is amber the port to port interconnect rate is running at 1 Gb/s and you will not experience any throughput throttling on that port. The fact that you’re only seeing 100 Mb/s indicates that you have a connection issue at either port, a cabling problem, a configuration problem with the port on the pc, or possibly the port on the pc is not a gigabit port after all, which has happened before. So there are a number of items to check. There have been people here on the forum who have done nothing more than change a cable and gone from 35Mb/s to well over 60 or 150 depending on their plan. Hopefully there will be a firmware update before the end of the year that will solve this particular problem.

You indicated that after a factory reset you still see unchanged data. The only data that I have seen in cases like that are caused by using the USB Setup Key. If you used the key to setup a guest account you will then have two 2.4 Ghz networks running, your intended network and guest network and possibly a third ghost network. The combination of those 2.4 Ghz networks running will result in a reduced range for your intended network.   If you have a guest network running, turn it off and look for a possible ghost network. There are posts in the forum that detail how to do that.

As for the issue of combination modem / routers versus straight modems, there is no question that the battle over one or the other is long over. Combo modems/ routers are the way of the future unfortunately. You and a great many other people across many ISPs are equally upset with that decision, but, the majority of people who sign on with an ISP are not interested in running separate modems, firewalls, and routers.   That’s fine, but people in that situation should also understand the limitations imposed by their own equipment and understand that two devices with internal antenna is not the best plan for overall wireless performance. That takes a little reading and research to figure out.

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

my gigabit gets 200 on the 150 plan consistently... by chance i had a 100Mbps connection when i swapped one CGN3 out for another... it was a fluke connection and the router only delivered 30-33... i checked it several times while i still had that connection... this proves that the router throttles the connection speed, not just a 10/100 card

the 1/3 throttling happens with my wireless connections as well when connected at 150... the router delivers 50-53 when shared... standalone, the router delivers 100 consistently 2 feet away... yet delivers only 50 or so 2 feet away with 2 devices connected... any 2... its consistent, repeatable, any time, any day... 5 minutes after 2nd device connects, speed is throttled back... 20-30 minutes after 2nd device disconnects, speed magically returns to normal... its the bloody router that can't negotiate connections properly, or perhaps its by design... 

there's no interference, no conflicting traffic in the neighbourhood, nothing like that...all available connections nearby are weak signal strengths... and there are literally only about 3 others that show up in the list... yeah, some could be hidden... yet they would have to be pumping out way beyond anything we've ever seen to be interfering... there is absolutely no way... houses are 200 feet away and more... the router barely delivers 60 feet away... besides, with devices 2 feet from the router, another router would literally have to be in the same room to cause such disruption and performance would be erratic... in all cases, the flow is smooth... clearly the router is throttling... the question is why

lets see if someone has enough brains at rogers to figure this one out... frankly its not rocket science