Hybrid 60, 150, 250, 350 throttled to 30 or 50Mbps with CGN3 except for Gigabit card

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Regular

Re: Hybrid 60, 150, 250, 350 throttled to 30 or 50Mbps with CGN3 except for Gigabit card

getting a steady 90 this morning on a 150 connection 2 floors, about 20 feet from the router

as soon as one of my laptops connects, bye bye 90, here comes 50... takes about 5 minutes before the router re-negotiates

thank you very much Rogers and Hitron !

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Hybrid 60, 150, 250, 350 throttled to 30 or 50Mbps with CGN3 except for Gigabit card

Can you tell us what kind of wireless adapters are you using?

I have been using CGN3 since it was launched and never experienced the throttling problem you are describing.

Usually when you sign up for packages 100 Mbs+ in order to get the top speeds on multiple devices people usually use wired connection.

Rogers (and frankly, any other ISP) are only responsible for delivering a cable line to your house with a modem, which together will provide at least the speeds that you signed up for. Everything else is provided as extras at your own risk.

The reason Rogers and many other ISP switched from modems to gateways is because the vast majority of their customers will be satisfied with basic routing functions of provided gateway. I still see a lot of people who only have one laptop connected through the ethernet cable to the gateway and they get pretty excited that they can connect their iPad and iPhone to the Internet wirelessly. This scenario still applicable to majority of Rogers customers.

Now, back to CGN3. This is a very fine peace of hardware with Intel puma chips inside capable of speeds close to 900Mbps. First and foremost it is the 24x8 modem, then a basic router and also decent wireless access point. It has very good range on 2.4 band, but again is capable of using just 144Mbps connection, which is still fine for most people.

If you want to get top speeds wirelessly it is not Rogers responsibility to provide you all the hardware. You need to invest in a good router, capable of many simultaneous connections and thong wireless radios. Recently, with ever growing connection speed another router feature comes into play: router hardware. In order to quickly process huge amounts of network requests router now needs to have a capable CPU and decent amount of RAM, which I consider to be at least 800Mhz CPU and 128Mb of RAM .

The wireless connection includes two parties: a router and an adapter, the latter often gets overlooked. The adapter needs to support multiple streams and use least congested channel in order to gain top speeds, still actual wireless performance will never reach advertised speeds even under ideal conditions.

And the last point. A lot of people on these forums like to blame Rogers hardware in all cases, even when they might not even be at fault. Example, every Rogers node is a unique hardware configuration. Techs now about that, and the same Rogers gateway will perform completely differently on different nodes. And in this case the bottleneck is a node configuration, not the CGN3. In extreme cases some gateways won't even work on some nodes. There had been reports that on some nodes Cisco DPC3825 Won't even work, and after multiple investigations and in some cases replacement of a whole drop lines nobody could find out the reason. But once the tech will swap DPC3825 for CGN2 - everything is perfect.

I have a CGN3 in the basement in bridged mode, which is wired to the Asus RT66U upstairs. I have two desktops, home server, laptop and Blu-Ray player wired with Cat6 cable through the gigabit switch to the CGN3. I also have two smartphones and an iPad and another laptop using wireless connection. In order to get higher speeds, I bought threw Intel gigabit PCI-E network adapters for my desktops and a server, I tossed out a single band 150Mbps wireless adapter which came with my laptop and replaced it with Intel 6300 dual band adapter. Now this laptop gets at minimum 360Mbps connection.

My overall point is that in order to get high speeds on your home network you need to invest in hardware. Your benchmark should be your gateway in bridged mode connected to your computer through the ethernet cable (that is because some gateways, mine included, are capable of higher speeds in bridged mode than in gateway mode). In my case speed difference was about 15%.
Highlighted
I'm a Regular

if that were the case, then Rogers should stop advertising an advanced wi-fi modem and stop charging for one... i really don't know what page you're on, but how about looking at this page?   

http://www.rogers.com/web/link/modems

I quote:

"Our Advanced Wi-Fi Modem delivers our fastest and farthest reaching Wi-Fi"

"Modem and Wi-Fi router in one"

"Increase range and speeds throughout your home with built-in high gain antennas."   (that would be Wi-Fi)

I am paying for hi-speed Wi-Fi by way of the router supplied by Rogers... its part of the agreement... so what are you talking about?  Roger's is indeed responsible!  Rogers will not allow another router to connect to their network!  I'm paying for their router !!!  So is everyone else!

... and I'm not interested in hearing about bridging to another router... if that is indeed the solution which it seems to be for many, then Rogers should allow customer's to connect their own... why should I pay for yet another piece of equipment when I'm already paying for one that's supposed to handle it?  Why should anyone?  That's double the cost !

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

about the speed, what part of 90Mbps at 20 feet through 2 floors don't you get?  that's great wireless speed, but the crazy router only allows it stand alone

try not to write so much, you might tire out your fingers and your brain...

Highlighted

OK, in short, if you experience drop in wireless speed with multiple wireless client the most common reason is that different wireless adapters on your devices support different wireless specs and the CGN3 drops the wireless speed while it tries to renegotiate the wireless link.

Also, the basic nature of the router in CGN3 might contribute to this wireless speed drop.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Or in other words as I have pointed out in previous postings, you need to review every device that you connect, wired and wireless, determine their specs and what those specs mean in terms of maximum data rates.  Once you have completed that, you might have your answer on hand.  You should also review your power settings for the mobile devices to determine exactly what the device does to the wireless compenent, ie. is it shut down after a certain time, allowing the CGN3 to concentrate on a single device, does it stay powered up, what exactly are those settings and what part of this do those settings play.

Highlighted

Forgot to mention that the quote you provided from the description of CGN3 performance is not necessarily false. It is true that CGN3 has powerfully enough radios to increase the wireless range, but it never mentions what wireless speed it is supposed to maintain.

If CGN3 has 3 simultaneous wireless streams coming out and the receiving wireless adapter only capable of a single stream - it is no way CGN3s fault.

In the empty house with not a single electrical appliance plugged in with top of the line SAME wireless adapters CGN3 is trully capable of providing and maintainig decent wireless performance.
Highlighted
I'm a Regular

thanks for the responses

i have no problem with the range nor with the speed when its functioning normally... however its not normal for any router to throttle back speeds so dramatically when sharing, regardless of the mix of hardware

i bridged an old DIR-655 that I had laying around just to see how another router behaved... it delivered 75Mpbs consistently to more than one device in close proximity yet the CGN3 wouldn't do the same at the same distance... in an isolated environment, no interference... hmmm... 

unfortunately the DIR-655 hasn't the range to be of any use and i'm not about to buy another router, especially one that i can't get firmware for

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Have all of your tests on the CGN3 been on the 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz networks or both?

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

5Ghz doesn't have good enough range... using 2.4Ghz... out of the box default settings except SID and passwords with WPS turned off... my DIR-655 can handle it in close proximity... so should the CGN3, no matter what adapters are connecting