cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hybrid 250 and speed

mrpete
I Plan to Stick Around

I bought a Hitron CNG3 today and bumped my speed to 250 from 60.

I was quite disappointed when I did a speed test.

I was getting 195 Mbps down and 11Mbps up. The download speed is only 78% of what I should be getting.

When I had the hybrid 60 my speed was usually about 80Mbsp thats 133% better.

I did notice Rogers says "up to" in their speed ads.

Is my current speed OK and I was just spoiled by the extra speed when I had the 60. Or should I be getting 250 on average.

Thanks.

***edited labels***

34 REPLIES 34

Re: Hybrid 250 and speed

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well there are a couple of things to factor in possibly.. and to check.

First question... HOW are you connecting?  Wired or Wireless?
when doing the speed test... and WHERE (what site), and to what end point are you doing the speed test to?

The 2nd part..  while still important on lower packages, the higher package you go, the more critical having good signal is.
Are you able to post your SIGNAL strength levels from the docsis WAN page in the CGN3?

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

@mrpete wrote:

I bought a Hitron CNG3 today and bumped my speed to 250 from 60.

I was quite disappointed when I did a speed test.

I was getting 195 Mbps down and 11Mbps up. The download speed is only 78% of what I should be getting.

When I had the hybrid 60 my speed was usually about 80Mbsp thats 133% better.

I did notice Rogers says "up to" in their speed ads.

Is my current speed OK and I was just spoiled by the extra speed when I had the 60. Or should I be getting 250 on average.

Thanks.

Here's the thing: speeds up to 80-95 megabits/sec are... relatively easy to get.

250? I can go to Best Buy and find brand new laptops that won't be able to go over 100 (wired) or less (wireless).

Rogers has this 'Speedboost' thing that boosts the first little bit of a TCP session, that's why I get about 198 megabits/sec on the 150 plan and why you got about 80 on the 60 plan. That speedboost thing should exist on the 250 plan, if everything else can handle it.

So, I think we have two things to look at here:

1) It's possible that your node is congested enough that there was only enough capacity to do 197 megabits/sec at the time you did the speedtest.

2) Your equipment. Are you connected wireless or wired? If wireless, what kind of network card? To get over 200 megabits/sec over wireless, for example, you need either 802.11ac (which the CGN3 doesn't do, so we're talking bridge mode and your own expensive 802.11ac router), or you need a laptop with a 3-stream (5GHz) 802.11n card (i.e. Apple and some custom configurations of business laptops with Intel's 5300/6300 card - everything else, you're very lucky if you have a 2-stream 5GHz-capable card, forget about 3-stream). Anything else will top out at about 200 megabits/sec over 2-stream 5GHz, or maybe 60-70 over 2.4GHz single-stream (if you live in a place with few neighbours).

(Frankly, sometimes I think Rogers makes the 250 plan too affordable. Taking full advantage of any plan over the 60 requires being very careful about what equipment you have, especially if you are running wireless devices. We in this forum have seen plenty of people who are getting disappointing speeds with the 150/250 plans and it turns out their devices... just can't handle those speeds.)

mrpete
I Plan to Stick Around

Downstream Overview

Frequency (MHz)

Modulation

Signal strength (dBmV)

Signal noise ratio (dB)

256QAM

256QAM

256QAM

256QAM

256QAM

256QAM

256QAM

256QAM

256QAM

Upstream Overview

Port ID

Frequency (MHz)

BandWidth

Modulation Type

ATDMA

ATDMA

ATDMA

I'm wired and using the closest server to Ookla

@mrpete wrote:

I'm wired and using the closest server to Ookla

I'm not an expert on interpreting signal strength, so I'll let others address that...

Your wired connection... what network controller are you using? (Realtek, Atheros, Intel, Marvell, etc) and on how fast of a computer? What OS? etc.

mrpete
I Plan to Stick Around

Reltek PCIe GBE on windows 7, i5-750 quad core CPU, 64 bit with 8GB ram.

@mrpete wrote:

Reltek PCIe GBE on windows 7, i5-750 quad core CPU, 64 bit with 8GB ram.

Realtek... ehhhh. Rest of that machine should be perfectly solid though.

Do you have any other Gigabit Ethernet-capable machines floating around to test with?

mrpete
I Plan to Stick Around

"Frankly, sometimes I think Rogers makes the 250 plan too affordable"

Once I realized there was only a $5.00 difference between the hybrid 60 + unlimited and the hybrid 250 with 500GB I made the change.

mrpete
I Plan to Stick Around

I also have a mac mini  i7 with 12GB of ram. I just did a speed test and got 191Mbps 

@mrpete wrote:

"Frankly, sometimes I think Rogers makes the 250 plan too affordable"

Once I realized there was only a $5.00 difference between the hybrid 60 + unlimited and the hybrid 250 with 500GB I made the change.

Yup, exactly... but the funny bit is, instead of being happy that you're getting 3X the speed for $5 more, you're unhappy that you're getting 50 megabits/sec less than promised. (And we'll try to help you with that)

(This is not a criticism of you personally - as I said, there have been many people who have come here having signed up for the 150/250 plans and who, for whatever reason, e.g. laptops with lousy wireless cards, can't get anywhere near those speeds).

But you're right, at that pricing, if you aren't eligible for the 200GB bonus bandwidth on the 150 and you need a lot of bandwidth, then the 250 plan makes a lot more financial sense than the 60.

(Personally, I have the 550GB flavour of the 150, and my parents now have the 270GB flavour of the 30. Yay for the 200GB bonus...)

@mrpete wrote:

I also have a mac mini  i7 with 12GB of ram. I just did a speed test and got 191Mbps 

Okay, so that excludes your hardware, assuming both the mac mini and the windows machine were plugged directly into the CGN3.

Can you do another test at a time that ... isn't Saturday night?

e.g. tomorrow morning? or some other time when the Netflix users aren't active?

(One other thought, directed at Gdkitty and Datalink: we do know that the CGN3 in gateway mode can route more than 200 megabits/sec, right?)

mrpete
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes the Mac and PC are both plugged directly into the CGN3.

I will test again tomorrow. 

Just had a look at your signal data.  Either something is missing, or you have a cable problem.  You should have 20 downstream channels and 3 upstream.  There are only 9 downstream showing, which are low, in terms of their signal levels, and the upstream channels are missing the Signal Strength.  Are you only showing 9 downstream channels listed on the modem table?  If you do have all 20 down and 3 up, can you let us know, and also indicate if you are missing channels.  Can you also try pasting the data in again.  Select both tables top to bottom, copy and paste them into this thread.  Don't worry about how they look when they paste in. I'll sort them out to have a look at them.  If you do only have 9 channels down, you have cable or node problems, and a call to tech support is necessary to have a tech come out and find out what the problem is.  That is really unusual to see.  If you look at posting # 19 on the following page, you will see what the downstream and upstream tables should look like if all channels are up and running:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/176...

@Datalink wrote:

Just had a look at your signal data.  Either something is missing, or you have a cable problem.  You should have 20 downstream channels and 3 upstream.  There are only 9 downstream showing, which are low, in terms of their signal levels, and the upstream channels are missing the Signal Strength.  Are you only showing 9 downstream channels listed on the modem table?  If you do have all 20 down and 3 up, can you let us know, and also indicate if you are missing channels.  Can you also try pasting the data in again.  Select both tables top to bottom, copy and paste them into this thread.  Don't worry about how they look when they paste in. I'll sort them out to have a look at them.  If you do only have 9 channels down, you have cable or node problems, and a call to tech support is necessary to have a tech come out and find out what the problem is.  That is really unusual to see.  If you look at posting # 19 on the following page, you will see what the downstream and upstream tables should look like if all channels are up and running:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/176...

9 downstream... that's a total capacity of about 340 megabits/sec. If that's all that's on that node for whatever reason, and the neighbours are using 140... then you end up where the OP is.

I wonder if this is in Ontario, in old-school Rogers territory (e.g. Toronto, Ottawa) or somewhere else, e.g. NB, the recent acquisitions in Hamilton or Aurora? Is it possible some Rogers areas offer the 250 plan but don't have the 'standard' 20-21 D3 channels?

mrpete
I Plan to Stick Around

Downstream Overview Port ID Frequency (MHz) Modulation Signal strength (dBmV) Signal noise ratio (dB) Channel ID 1 657000000 256QAM -4.600 40.366 35 2 591000000 256QAM -3.800 40.366 25 3 597000000 256QAM -4.100 40.366 26 4 603000000 256QAM -4.400 40.946 27 5 609000000 256QAM -4.500 40.946 28 6 615000000 256QAM -4.900 40.366 29 7 621000000 256QAM -4.800 39.855 30 8 633000000 256QAM -4.900 40.366 31 9 639000000 256QAM -4.900 38.983 32
Upstream Overview Port ID Frequency (MHz) BandWidth Modulation Type Signal Strength (dBmV) Channel ID 1 38596000 3200000 ATDMA 43.750 5 2 23700000 6400000 ATDMA 43.750 7 3 30596000 6400000 ATDMA 43.750 6

mrpete
I Plan to Stick Around

I am in Hamilton and Rogers just took over a few months ago. I have had problems with pixelating on the TV since they took over.

They have run all new cable inside the house (made no difference) then ran a temp line from their box to the house, which solved 90% 

@mrpete wrote:

I am in Hamilton and Rogers just took over a few months ago. I have had problems with pixelating on the TV since they took over.

They have run all new cable inside the house (made no difference) then ran a temp line from their box to the house, which solved 90% 

Okay. Here's what I think: Rogers has not yet 'upgraded' your area to the standard Rogers configuration, which would include 20 DOCSIS 3 channels, so that's why you are only seeing 9.

(Why they are willing to sell you the 250 megabit plan in an area with only 9 channels... is an interesting question. But let's not go there...)

With 9 channels, your node has less than half the capacity that a 'standard' Rogers node has, which... is not going to be ideal for performance, especially on a Saturday evening.

My advice would be to just be patient, keep watching every month or two to see if that number of channels goes up, etc. As they rejig everything to move things closer to the 'standard' Rogers configuration, I would expect that your number of channels (and performance) would gradually go up...

I think VivienM might have hit the nail on the head with the switch over to the Rogers configuration.  That might take time......

However, and it is probably worth asking the question and raising the observation with tech support, if you are going to be running 20 channels down, you have a problem.  There are only 9 downstream channels, all low in signal levels, which on its own is not a problem.  Ideally they would be at +4.6 instead of - 4.6.  Over time the levels drop, so seeing them at a higher level after a tech visit is fine.  My levels have dropped about 4 dBmV over the course of a year, but that isn't a problem so far.  The real problem is the missing downstream channels, which as VivienM has alluded to will cause issues such as this, as others on the node are also occupying a portion of the bandwidth on those channnels.  I suspect that you might be seeing DOCSIS WAN errors of some type as well in the logs.  Your upstream levels are elevated, running at 44 dBmV instead of being in the 36 to 40 dBmV range, but where they are, is ok.  You also have three upstream channels running which is normal.  So, its time to call tech support to have them look at the issue of the missing channels and send a tech out to your home.  Personal opinion, this might be a node issue, either from an implementation issue with the previous ISP, or, maybe, a failed or failing output card.  There is always the off chance that the modem is at fault, but this is the first example I've seen where there are so many channels missing. 

One more thing, can you edit your previous post and remove all before "Downstream Overview Port ....."  Your DOCSIS WAN IP address is in there, and I would prefer that it not be left in the post.  Leaving your IP or MAC address of the modem on a post somewhere is not good for your own security.

@Datalink wrote:

So, its time to call tech support to have them look at the issue of the missing channels and send a tech out to your home.  Personal opinion, this might be a node issue, either from an implementation issue with the previous ISP, or, maybe, a failed or failing output card.  There is always the off chance that the modem is at fault, but this is the first example I've seen where there are so many channels missing.

That assumes those channels should be there. If Shaw/Mountain/whatever-the-old-company-was was running 8 channels, say, and Rogers has added a ninth channel since they took over, then it's perfectly normal for the OP to be only seeing 9 channels...

What TV gear do you guys have? If it's still Motorola (i.e. without switched digital video), then especially if you also still have some analog channels, then I doubt there's the capacity on that system to dedicate 20 channels to DOCSIS right now.

Yes, thats also a good point that I forgot to mention.  The pixelating issue with the tv makes sense now, especially with missing channels.  I wonder why the tech didn't mention anything of the missing channels when he or she was replacing the cables?  Other people served by that node should be experiencing the same issues.

Edit:  If you give tech support a call to ask where your missing channels have disappeared to, please let us know what tech support said.  I'm curious......

@Datalink wrote:

Yes, thats also a good point that I forgot to mention.  The pixelating issue with the tv makes sense now, especially with missing channels.  I wonder why the tech didn't mention anything of the missing channels when he or she was replacing the cables?

Another thing I wonder: is Rogers going to run Hamilton like they do NB (i.e. keep running the Motorola TV gear), or are they going to transition to the 'standard' Ontario Cisco/Scientific Atlanta platform (like they've done with other smaller acquisitions)?

The way I see it - until they standardize/modernize the TV side of things, they won't have freed up enough capacity to throw at the DOCSIS side of things.

Which, then, comes back to my earlier question: why are they selling the 250 megabit plan in such an environment? I thought in 'traditional' Ontario territory, they wouldn't sell the Hybrid Fiber 150/250 unless the node had been upgraded to... more than 9 channels.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 34 replies
  • 21 Likes
  • 4 in conversation