cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge internet issue with latency and jitter, rogers techs unable to help

bizkit_109
I Plan to Stick Around

So for the past month my internet has been far from great.  Over a month ago I reported an issue where my download speed on a 100down 10 up line was about 9mbps down and my up was about 5, they said I had extreme packet loss and after about 25 calls to rogers, and multiple maintenance team appointments they informed me the problem was resolved about 15 days later.  

Ever since though, I am getting extremely high jitter each night between 8pm and 11pm.  I mostly use my internet for online gaming and competitive first person shooters so this is a huge problem.  My ping will range from 15-100ms, which rogers informs me is within range, but the jitter is extremely high which I'm told by friends in the area who are also on the same rogers plan should be around 2ms(and they get about 15-25ms for ping) for myself is normally 3-8 times what my ping is.  I have called Rogers techs, had a tech to my house all of whom have no idea what jitter is.  They all tell me my upload and download is fine and my ping is within range.  I showed the tech that came here the jitter results on roger’s own speed test service and he admitted that he mostly only deals with download or upload issues and never with latency or whatever I was talking about.  He referred the problem to the maintenance team who came (at 9am despite his note saying the issue happens mostly between 8pm and 11pm) and again only tested the ping, upload, and download and determined it was fine.  I feel I am now just going in circles.  I have requested a call from the OotP to try to fix this but I am not sure what I can do.  I have uploaded some screen shots of my internet results so far tonight.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  I have neighbors in my building who use bell fibe internet and are reporting a 15ping 2ms jitter result also.  

I have asked to get a call when the maintenance teams come to explain the issue to the senior tech but they refuse to do that.  I have no way to send them these jitter results, and the tech I spoke with tonight on the phone told me they have no way of testing or checking on jitter only up and download speeds and a basic idea of ping.

Here is about an hour or so of my internet test results:

https://imgur.com/a/QDFoL

48 REPLIES 48

Re: Huge internet issue with latency and jitter, rogers techs unable to help

lethalsniper
I'm an Enthusiast

I'm starting to think Rogers dosent support online gaming as well as other isp. In having same issues playing online ,with lots of lag spikes with packet loss

Reading all the posts in this regard we can conclude only one- they really dont support it 😕

Chadlyb
I've Been Around

Internet Speed 70U Slow

Just wondering why since the day I first got internet the speeds are rougly 30-70Kbs when im paying for 70Mbs.

programs that should take 10 minutes are around 6-8 hours.

There is also times during online gaming where my ping which is usually around 60 jumps up to 1000-2500 and makes everything unplayable.

throttling is nothing new for Rogers im just wondering how can I legally only get basically nothing of what I pay for. is there anyway to fix this? calling a technician just makes my internet jump up and work perfectly until a day after they leave.

I've read other threads and nothing helps.

@Chadlyb

You wouldn't be getting throttled on that plan, or any plan really, unless you used your internet excessively and to a point where it affected the service of others in your area.

I'm not a technical guy but it seems like you should be escalating your concerns up the line if a regular technician isn't fixing the issue permanently.

lethalsniper
I'm an Enthusiast

Yea somthing had to give man from what I read on here alot of people are having issues when playing online games using Rogers internet, even friends that I know use Rogers also have issues then I have other friends that don't use Rogers. Have no issues at all and we are all playing the Same game at the same time. I'm still waiting on word on my issue. I just hope Rogers would come out and say yea we suck for gaming plain and simple. 

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Akki can you describe your network setup?  Are you using the modem in Bridge mode with a router behind it?  Reason that I ask is that your pingplotter shots show a high jitter or high ping time to the 192.168.1.1 address, which is either a router or modem.  Those ping and jitter numbers don't make sense.  They should be at 1 ms or less for ping time and 0 for jitter.  Was that done via wired or wifi connection?

Can you bring up a command prompt on a wired pc or laptop and run a ping test to the modem:

ping 192.168.1.1 -n 50

Please copy the bottom 10 lines or so including the final stats and paste them into the thread.  I'm curious as to what they will show.  To copy the ping results, right click on the command prompt area, select "Select All".  Then right click on the top title bar and select Edit.... Copy.  Paste into something like notepad so that you can copy the bottom 10 lines of the ping test.  I'd like to see a small portion of the actual ping test to see what it looks like ping to ping. 

@Chadlyb can you have a look at the product sticker at the back of the modem and let me know which model it is.  It will be one of CGN3, CGN3AC, or CGN3ASMR.  Please log into the modem and have a look at the software (firmware) version that is loaded and also include that.  Lastly, can you navigate to the STATUS..... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into this thread.  Those are the cable signal levels which might be of interest at this point.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 48 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 10 in conversation