Huge Battery Drain after JellyBean update on S3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Huge Battery Drain after JellyBean update on S3

Hello!

Is anyone else noticing huge battery drain after updating their S3 to Jellybean?

Any ideas or tips on how to curb the drain?

Thanks!

****Edited Labels****

I've Been Around

Re: Huge Battery Drain after JellyBean update on S3

I'm having the same problem. On GB I could go a full day with moderate usage. After the update to ICS, I only get 4-5 hours of battery life before its dead.

You think after such a delay in rolling out ICS out they would have these problems fixed!

I've Been Around

I got the same issue... Seems to drain three times faster (not exaggerating)...

I'm Here A Lot

Has anyone tried a factory restore?
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Factory reset does nothing. I did this on my S3 before i sold it & never once did it help with the battery issues. I got tired of this & sold the phone to someone else.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Meowmix, did you let your purchaser know about the battery issues you were having before you sold them the S3?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Yes i did. I told them to even look here as well. The person that bought the phone did not seem to care anyways as he said he has a second battery for the phone.

The only thing this person cared is if the phone worked on Rogers & it was warranty. Other then that, nothing else.
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi 

You might want to check your battery graph to see whats wrong.

You can access this by: Settings -> Battery

It would show what takes up the most battery.

Some features might have reenabled once you updated.

Features like Smart Stay (which costantly uses the front facing camera to track if your eye is looking at the screen) might be one.

You can turn this off at Display

Others like features that take up battery could be in Motion in Settings.

Also you might want to make Power Saving Mode on.

sam_15

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Sam_15

This also is helpful but its not want you are saying.

After the 4.1.1 update, most of the S3 phones started having battery issues. Websites like XDA & other sites with blogs, have said the same. Many customers like me have been told that its just the battery. The OS is causing this in many ways. I had all the settings low / off & the battery would drain really fast without using it. I am a tech savvy person knowing what to turn off / leave on for battery tests.
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi Meowmix

Im having the same problem with my battery draining following the jelly bean update. Mine was an OTA and Ive done a factory reset already but the same type of nose dive once I'm using the phone. When idol the phone seems fine but when the screen is on I can see the battery draining right before my eyes. I debating on doing another factory reset because it takes only a few minutes to get it back online but I don't think that will resolve the problem. I also would flash the Rom to go back to ICS but not worth the hassle. I'll keep checking back on this forum and hope they come back with something. I also spoke with Rogers and Samsung and of course they heard about complaints but nothing can be do five days into the rollout. I suggest to go buy the hyperion 4200mh battery for $30 and double up the size you have.