How to update modem?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Regular

How to update modem?

Rogers told me I need to update my modem to get a better deal, I don't know how to go on the wireless modem settings on the computer to change anything. How do I get the update for my wireless modem? 

I have modem model DPC3285.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: How to update modem?

If you go to the link below and compare those prices to your present total internet bill you can decide whether or not it makes sense to switch to one of those plans.  The modem rental is now included in the price scheme, whereas in the older plans, it was an additional cost on top of the service.

http://www.rogers.com/web/link/hispeedBrowseFlowDefaultPlans

If you wanted to switch, it appears that your current modem is acceptable for download speeds up to 60 Mb/s which is the Hybrid Fibre 60 plan. So, you wouldn't have to do anything but ask the sales representative to switch your plan. 

If you wanted to go to a higher download rate, of either 150 or 250 Mb/s, you would need to change the modem for the Hitron CGN3.  In a nutshell, this modem uses more discrete frequencies to transmit data between the modem and the local Rogers nodes, which results in higher download and upload rates.  Essentially a souped up 3825.  In addition it can transmit on the higher 5 Gigahertz frequency band for wifi.  So, if you had any wifi devices that use that particular frequency band, you could switch from the lower 2.4 Ghz band to the higher band and reduce the any interference that you might be experiencing with your wifi.

Additionally, your overall monthy download limit is also increased. 

So, having said all of that, the question is whether or not you can make use of faster download / upload speeds and higher monthly download limits.  That is something that only you can answer.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think they were trying to indicate to you that in order to go to a higher speed, and possibly move from an older internet pricing package to one of the newer pricing package, that you would have to change or "update" your modem.  Can you tell us what you are interested in doing, for example going to a higher download / upload speed?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think datalink may be correct.

Any software updates rogers will push out on their own to you.

But for some of the newer tiers, you need to upgrade to he cgn3 modem
(Note though all listed prices for the new plns INCLUDE the modem rental in that cost, it is not ontop of it)

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

Do the old plans have the price seperate from the device rental? And what is the difference between the new model and the old one. Does it work well? I heard that sometimes their modems don't work properly. 

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@DiscoGranny wrote:

Do the old plans have the price seperate from the device rental? And what is the difference between the new model and the old one. Does it work well? I heard that sometimes their modems don't work properly. 

Yes.  The current structure includes the modem rental price.

The newer model (CGN3) is a DOCSIS 3.0-compliant modem, while the older ones were no more than DOCSIS 2.0.  As with any piece of Rogers equipment, the experience varies wildly.  Some have had nothing but issues, and some have been problem-free.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you go to the link below and compare those prices to your present total internet bill you can decide whether or not it makes sense to switch to one of those plans.  The modem rental is now included in the price scheme, whereas in the older plans, it was an additional cost on top of the service.

http://www.rogers.com/web/link/hispeedBrowseFlowDefaultPlans

If you wanted to switch, it appears that your current modem is acceptable for download speeds up to 60 Mb/s which is the Hybrid Fibre 60 plan. So, you wouldn't have to do anything but ask the sales representative to switch your plan. 

If you wanted to go to a higher download rate, of either 150 or 250 Mb/s, you would need to change the modem for the Hitron CGN3.  In a nutshell, this modem uses more discrete frequencies to transmit data between the modem and the local Rogers nodes, which results in higher download and upload rates.  Essentially a souped up 3825.  In addition it can transmit on the higher 5 Gigahertz frequency band for wifi.  So, if you had any wifi devices that use that particular frequency band, you could switch from the lower 2.4 Ghz band to the higher band and reduce the any interference that you might be experiencing with your wifi.

Additionally, your overall monthy download limit is also increased. 

So, having said all of that, the question is whether or not you can make use of faster download / upload speeds and higher monthly download limits.  That is something that only you can answer.

View solution in original post