cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop Nextbox HD Terminal from automatically turning its power off

boulevardier
I Plan to Stick Around

I have a Microsoft Media Center computer that is connected to a Rogers Nextbox.  The Nextbox needs to be powered up all the time so that the Mediacenter PC can change the channel at any time (via an IR blaster).  The media center expects the next box to be on 100 percent of the time.  Unfortunately the Nextbox turns itself off after three or four hours of inactivity.  I checked the settings in the Nextbox for options like "sleep timer" or "power saver" and could not find any appropriate options that could be modified.   How do I prevent the Next box from turning itself off?

Please note that I use the Media Center computer for a specific handicap accessibility requirement so please don't tell me to use a Rogers Nextbox PVR as a solution to this problem. I already have a Rogers Nextbox PVR and succesfully use that for my normal day to day PVR purposes.

***Edited labels***`

15 REPLIES 15

Re: How to stop Nextbox HD Terminal from automatically turning its power off

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have had mine on all day, left on a channel.. and it never turned off (not changing a channel, etc.. just sitting that channel all day)

The box DOES normaly turn it sell off as part of the reboot every night.. is that potentialy where your timeout is comming? You didnt specify what time of the day.

If it does happen durring the day... first i have heard of it on here.. but i guess it could happen.

boulevardier
I Plan to Stick Around

It happens mostly overnight when nothing is being recorded for 3 hours or more, i.e. no channel changes. During the day the channels are changed often enough by my family or by the Media Center PC to keep the Nextbox alive.

Yeah, again , i havent had it turn of EVER on its own... i was thinking maybe IF it does, its driven by not having an OUTPUTed device ON, nothing to send signal to, it turns off... but the one i have left on, is in my basment connected to a projector... turned off the projector... came back later in the day, turned it back on, box still on and broad casting. (no channel changes)

Overnight, at between 12 and 3ish, the unit reboots.. and turns itself off durring this.  This is perhaps what you are seeing.??

(this, CAN NOT be turned off  😞 )

Again, not doubing you, its possible that yours DOES do this. Just never seen/heard of it myself here.
Maybe someone else can chime in if they have had the same experience with theirs.

boulevardier
I Plan to Stick Around

It happened again last night. Smiley Mad

I recorded a program from 1 to 2 am (Moonshiners ). It worked fine.

My next show was to be recorded at 4am and the Nextbox had shut itself off by then. I got nothing but total blackness.

I'm getting really angry with this Rogers equipment. I just switched from Bell. Their HD box never shut off once on its own in the 3 years I had it.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Thew reason why it shuts off is because of the updates during the night & system maintenance. This feature can not be turned off or moved. Roger has set times for this each night.

boulevardier
I Plan to Stick Around

Updates every night?

What happens to the updates if I record something  throughout the night? It won't shut off as long as I keep changing the channel every 2 hours or so.

The Nextbox should turn itself back on if it was on in the first place just before an update. I'm a computer programmer, sounds like a trivial software mod to me.

The 8642 and the 4642 do updates / reboot every night.  (or usualy every night).

If you look through the forum here, you will see many people complain, of watching or recording durring that timeframe, and it will just do it even if something is going on.

Once its back up and running, if a pvr, it will continue recording (but with a gap durring the reboot time), but the box stays in an OFF state.

Nelsonscrap
I've Been Around
I've complained to Rogers about this. They don't tell you this BEFORE you get the nextbox of course. Download is every night at 2am. Anywhere from 5-10 mins. Already suggested that there be a user option to delay if you're in the middle of a show. We are the people that matter the least to Rogers or as they put it, the least number of people affected. Thanks a lot. Maybe we afternoon shift workers/late night owls should get a discount then?

boulevardier
I Plan to Stick Around

If I had known this a few months ago I wouldn't have switched from Bell. Smiley Mad

funman
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm still on the old classic software on 8642 and haven't had it do that to me ever.  You've got to think that if they're tinkering with the code so often that they have to do an update every night, something must be wrong on the development team. 

So one of the things you may want to do is consider downgrading to the classic software and give up the "whole home" features of the Nextbox.  At least you'll have stable software.

kc
I Plan to Stick Around

Ya, i noticed this last year sometime after getting my netbox's .... rebooting every night a 2am .... in the process shutting off any channel you might be watching.

Its kinda funny really .... who at Rogers could possibly think that is a good idea. And whats funnier, is, its pointless to even complain to them.

My netbox hd-to-hdpvr setup hasen't worked properly for 6 months now .... i just dread to go to their suppot process. Its time i did though. Wish me luck.

KC

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

KC:

HD-to-HDPVR?

Are you talking about the whole home PVR thing?
Care to share what the problem is? 
I have had the whole home since day one, so know a fair bit about how its set up, should work, etc.

kc
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks KITTY!

It was working fine last spring when installed (got the Samsung tablet ... liked that). Late last summer after several power glitches and flickers in Kanata i noticed i couldn't see the PVR recorded shows  from the base unit any longer. In the fall i called in, spent half an hour rebooting etc then was told to take the HD netbox in and exchange it. Did that a few weeks later .... no fixey la problem.

I've super busy on a contract from sept to now so taking days off to call a cable tech in was not going to happen.

The only issue, other than not seeing the PVR, was that the little "home" icon didn't show on either unit.

Anyway  .... i called this morning to make an appt but the phone tech said he saw something unusual ..... the new HD box wasn't "registered"  (or something like that) for the home network. He did that.

So tonight when i get home, i need to check and possibly power down both, then restart.

We shall see !

Thanks for replying Kittycat, i will post tonight to either "eat my words" about rogers support, or rant/whine!

KC

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The home icon, should show up on ANY box, if it was pushed out properly..

But in the new HD box wasnt registered properly, that it should be on the Whole Home setup, then yes, it wouldnt be able to see the other box.  And with the PVR switch.. that one may not have the software pushed on it either.

HOPEFULY what the guy did, might have fixed it.  Check it out and see.

Now.. it may have only registered the box to be ALLOWED to have it setup on there.. but not be actualy set up.

When i added a 2nd HD box at my house.. called in to have them to 'install' the whole home PVR setup software to it.. 2 different people.. said that they COULDNT 😞  (weither this has changed now, i am not sure)

At that time, they said that a TECH had to make the call in, to THEIR tech people.. and those are the ones that can push out the install.

So WORSE case, you will need to still make the apointment, to have a tech come out... so they can just make the call to have the software pushed (seems like a waste of time.. silly system).  They MAY try to say, that it is 'chargable' like the original whole home PVR setup.. but fight it.. it shouldnt be, just to add/change a box, its not your fault, the hard part of adding the filter is done already.  By default they tried to charge me (as thats what the system auto does, when they add the tech call for it).. but question it, and they should be able to waive/refund it.

Rogers defaultly tries to set you up with the next earliest apointment.. which is normaly durring the day.  MOST areas, DO have evening visits though.. so dont take time off, etc.  Set up an evening visit, you may just have to wait a few days for an available one.  Eve visits are from 5-8, so MAY have to leave work early, etc.. but not a whole day off sort of thing.

Good luck!

kc
I Plan to Stick Around

will post tonight to either "eat my words" about rogers support, or rant/whine!

Eating my words today .... a simple reset/re-register has reestablished my hd-hdpvr connection. Of course,  the new netbox unit was not registered properly in store in the first place and therefore didn't work out of the box ........ thanks for that.

Sorry about hijacking this thread.

KC

Topic Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 in conversation