How to set a Static IP for a device with Hitron CGN2-ROG?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

How to set a Static IP for a device with Hitron CGN2-ROG?

Hi,

Our previous router (the SMC one) had this setting but I can't seem to find this setting anywhere in the router's web interface. All I want to do is set a device of mine to have a static ip, previously my old router could do this based on the device's MAC address.

The documentation that came on the usb packaged with the router is for a different cisco router and proved to be rather useless.

Any suggestions?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: How to set a Static IP for a device with Hitron CGN2-ROG?

I just took a look through the WHOLE CGN2 manual.

Like MOST newer routers, etc that i have seen lately... IP assignment FROM the router end, doesnt seem to be around as much anymore.

The only things in the CGN2, are;

MAC filtering (allowing or disallowing of that device on the network)

Content filtering (by mac address.. doing stuff like parental controls, access times, etc).

Really, all in all... as i stated to be ABOVE user.. your best bet, is to set the address STATIC on the device itself.

If you enter the address staticaly in the device... it will NOT go and try to obtain a new one via DHCP.
As well, most all of the routers are smart enough to SEARCH out what is on the network..

EG:  I have 6 devices in my house, all set with STATIC addresses, set on the device itself. (mix of computers, printers, etc).  I have then 3-4 phones, tablets, my TV, etc.. which are all dynamic, and get an address from DHCP.

On the gateway itself (i myself have the SMC), it shows connected devices.  It shows both the dynamic ones that ITSELF has given addresses to..but also show the ones i have staticaly set the address for.

It KNOWS that those static set on the device ones addresses are set as... and will exclude that address from being assigned via DHCP.
(worse case scenario, set your static address's towards the UPPER range.. somewhere the DHCP will never reach).

If you need help in what info to ENTER on the device itself... i can help with/
or even help with HOW to set it on the device.... myself or others might be able to figure it out.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

in most cases, you dont want/have to set it from the gateway/router end.

you would be best to set it specificaly on the device itself.

if you need help with this, let us know what the device is and may be able to help with the setup for it.

I've Been Around

Hi there, Smiley Happy

Device is CGN 2. i am having hard time finding the option to assign Static IP address to MAC address. I have 4 different computers; an IP phone and a LAN Printer. I take backup of my computer every night and they need to have access to internet as well as they must have static IP address assigned by router over MAC address. I would really appriciate if you can advice on options. Thanks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I just took a look through the WHOLE CGN2 manual.

Like MOST newer routers, etc that i have seen lately... IP assignment FROM the router end, doesnt seem to be around as much anymore.

The only things in the CGN2, are;

MAC filtering (allowing or disallowing of that device on the network)

Content filtering (by mac address.. doing stuff like parental controls, access times, etc).

Really, all in all... as i stated to be ABOVE user.. your best bet, is to set the address STATIC on the device itself.

If you enter the address staticaly in the device... it will NOT go and try to obtain a new one via DHCP.
As well, most all of the routers are smart enough to SEARCH out what is on the network..

EG:  I have 6 devices in my house, all set with STATIC addresses, set on the device itself. (mix of computers, printers, etc).  I have then 3-4 phones, tablets, my TV, etc.. which are all dynamic, and get an address from DHCP.

On the gateway itself (i myself have the SMC), it shows connected devices.  It shows both the dynamic ones that ITSELF has given addresses to..but also show the ones i have staticaly set the address for.

It KNOWS that those static set on the device ones addresses are set as... and will exclude that address from being assigned via DHCP.
(worse case scenario, set your static address's towards the UPPER range.. somewhere the DHCP will never reach).

If you need help in what info to ENTER on the device itself... i can help with/
or even help with HOW to set it on the device.... myself or others might be able to figure it out.

View solution in original post

I've Been Here Awhile

I had a similar question, but I am a newbie, and the real techie answers won't help me..sorry... 

I have SONOS system installed.  The SONOS router is plugged into port 1 of my CGN2 modem/router.  Then I have 2 SONOS-3 players in different rooms that are wireless.

The problem with SONOS is that the three devices need to show up first in the IP stack, say 10, 11, 12, and the rest of the devices (mobiles, computers, iPads  need to have higher IP addresses.  If that does not happen, after a few hours (sometime less), the whole network bogs down and I need to reboot everything in sequence (SONOS Router, SONOS speaker 1, SONOS speaker 2, WDTVLIVE, wireless equipment, etc..

What I wanted to do was reserve IP adresses 10-20 and assign them by the equipments MAC's.  Have the rest of the IP, that are above 20, assigned by DHCP.

What I hear you say is to set that at the equipment level, but I have no idea how to do that for my SONOS stuff.

Would you or anyone know how to do that?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I tried to look it up and see if i could help you...

And... Ew... Sonos, has descided in their infiniate wisdom.. NOT to allow static IP addresses.

On ANY device which is PERMENANT.. especially streamed TO/FROM.. in my opinion.. should ALWAYS have a static address.

The ONLY way that they say it can be done is from the ROUTER level 😞

Just double checked.. even the CGN3 doesnt allow device reservation... must be something hitron doesnt like.

As an equivelent modem class wise to yours... the Cisco 3825.. MIGHT?  Not sure.

Your best option.. MAY be to bridge mode, with a 3rd party router which DOES support it.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Another in the multitude of reasons to use the Rogers gateway in Bridge mode and use a real router.  I swear that is the solution to 50% of the posts on this fourm.

I'm Here A Lot

I have to agree... If you want to get "fancy" you need to run your own router. This has the added benefit that when you have to swap modems (e.g. upgrade your service) it has zero impact on your network.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@wayner92 wrote:

Another in the multitude of reasons to use the Rogers gateway in Bridge mode and use a real router.  I swear that is the solution to 50% of the posts on this fourm.

Yes.  For the most part.

You have to be carful too... the key point is REAL ROUTER.

There are a multitude of 3rd party routers, which dont have the reservation feature either.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

True - get something that can run dd-wrt and you would be good.  My last two routers have been Asus and the Merlin firmware is also good - it just adds a handful of functions to the existing Asus firmware.