How to increase signal/ coverage on top floor - \i have Rogers 250 Ignite

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

How to increase signal/ coverage on top floor - \i have Rogers 250 Ignite

Do i have to boost the signal or extend it with i.e. Lyksis - streaming content via Netflix very slow at times

***Edited Labels***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: How to increase signal/ coverage on top floor - \i have Rogers 250 Ignite

Maybe?
Hard to say without knowing your setup.
Wireless in general, even with the best equipment can only go so far.
If your unit is in the basement, then yes your signal may not reach well upstairs to the top floor.

There are options.
-Move the Rogers unit to say the middle floor if able to.
-change the Rogers unit over into bridge mode and use a better quality wireless router.
-use a repeater of some form.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

A few additional thoughts to add to what @Gdkitty said:

1) What wireless hardware are you using on the client end? Windows laptops (with what brand/model wireless card)? TV boxes like Rokus, Apple TV, etc.? etc.

2) Are you running 5GHz or 2.4GHz? 2.4GHz should give you better range, HOWEVER, in most urban places, the 2.4GHz bands are extremely congested... so if you have a fairly weak access point, as you get further away from it and closer to neighbouring access points on the same channel, things won't be very pretty. In that circumstance, either i) a stronger access point (this is where we plug the Asus RT-AC68U...), or ii) moving to 5GHz (if your clients support it) will deliver markedly better results. 

It may be a good idea to run a tool like inSSIDer in the room where the poor connections are happening and see what other wireless networks are around. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

An additional thought as well.

Netflix there shouldnt be any streaming issues, etc with a decent wireless setup... doesnt require a HUGE amount of bandwidth.

To get your MAXIMUM? You could be stretching a bit..
To get a full 250mbps, you would have to be probably a PERFECT N signal, or on AC, on both the devices and the broadcasting end.