How to escalate repeating intermittent area disconnects?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

How to escalate repeating intermittent area disconnects?

Over the past two months I have called Rogers eight times and opened five cases for intermittent area disconnects.   The service has been virtually useless 11 days out of the last 60.    The cases have all been closed and the service restored, but the issue re-occurs days or weeks later.

I have asked tech support how I can escalate to either engineering or management for a repeating area problem that they are unable to fix.   The answer:  "You can't escalate to engineering because they don't have a phone number and if you escalate to my manager, then he won't be able to do anything?"    Obviously, not the answer that I wanted to hear.

Anyone know how to bring a repeating area issue to the attention of someone at Rogers who will take ownership of the problem and fix it?

In order to expedite cases opening, I've done the following:

1. Call Rogers immediately when intermittent disconnects start occurring.   Bring up a browser and router status (see your router manual) to check on things.

2. Skip all the talk about rebooting the modem and instead ask the tech to check modem status and the status of the neighbourhood.   Important:  Keep tech on the line until he/she can confirm a neighbourhood issue.    You can check yourself by monitoring your router status and browser.

3.  Open a case with the following:

- Intermittent issue affecting neighbourhood

- Do not close case until resolution has been verified

- Multiple cases have been opened without long term resolution.   Issue keeps re-occurring.

Unfortunately, this is getting our neighbourhood nowhere, so any ideas are appreciated.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: How to escalate repeating intermittent area disconnects?

I don't have an answer sorry but you must live next door to me. 🙂

I'm an Advisor

Do you subscribe to digital cable?

If yes, can you turn this into a cable problem? e.g. if you find that channel 523 goes wonky at the same time your Internet does, call Rogers and complain about wonky channel 523.

In my experience, just because digital cable is so much simpler than Internet (no customer-owned equipment involved), it's much easier to get physical plant issues escalated if they are framed as a TV problem.

I Plan to Stick Around

I subscribe to digital cable and home phone.  Both services are working fine.   This is an internet infrastructure problem affecting my neighbourhood that they can see whenever I call; however, they don't seem to know what causes it or how engineering magically "fixes" it after a few days of outages.  The techs have been to my house and everything checks out fine.  I've spoken to them when I've seen them sniffing around my neighbours and they've consistently told me that it is not the cables but something that services the area.   

If you can let me know how the digital cable folks can help debug an internet problem, I'll give it a try.  I want to avoid sending Rogers off on a tangent when they know that something is wrong with internet.  Thanks.

I'm an Advisor

@JetCanada wrote:

I subscribe to digital cable and home phone.  Both services are working fine.   This is an internet infrastructure problem affecting my neighbourhood that they can see whenever I call; however, they don't seem to know what causes it or how engineering magically "fixes" it after a few days of outages.  The techs have been to my house and everything checks out fine.  I've spoken to them when I've seen them sniffing around my neighbours and they've consistently told me that it is not the cables but something that services the area.   

If you can let me know how the digital cable folks can help debug an internet problem, I'll give it a try.  I want to avoid sending Rogers off on a tangent when they know that something is wrong with internet.  Thanks.

I guess the question is whether something is wrong with 'Internet' (i.e. headend-side gear involved in the Internet service only) or whether something is wrong with the physical plant (between you and the headend) in some way that affects the Internet channels.

I will tell you this. Years ago, I had a problem where my Internet (and everyone in the building's Internet) got really moody and packet lossy for weeks. (Now, packet loss is among the hardest problems to communicate effectively with tech support about.) After testing all of my digital cable channels, I found two that were affected by the same problem. (The other digital cable channels were fine) So, called digital cable support, reported the two moody channels. Subcontractor tech comes out, tries a different STB, tries running different coax from my apartment down the balcony to the junction box. Same problem. So the situation got escalated to the clueful Rogers techs in the big Rogers vans. That dude comes along with his fancy tech gear, finds a problem. He put in a work order for it to be fixed and apparently while he was here, people knocked on his van door asking if he was there about the moody Internet. Next day, it gets fixed, and boom, not only are my two digital TV channels working reliably, but so is my Internet.

(And of course, everybody involved was wondering why I cared so much about those 2 channels, which weren't exactly the most popular channels out there. And the answer is, I didn't... but while my neighbours were going nowhere with Internet support, I was getting clueful big Rogers vans to come out to the building)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here is something that may or may not shed some light on the issue, and that is the power levels at your modem.  Here's a link to my CGN3 levels earlier this summer.  Ideally the Signal Strength should be at 0 dBmV on the Downstream side and 37 to 40 dBmV on the upstream side.  The Signal to Noise ratios on the downstream side should be around 36 to 40/41 dB. 

Just for comparisons sake, log into your modem and navigate to the the DOCSIS WAN page, where this data it located.  Copy the Downstream table and Upstream table and paste them into something like Notepad, or Word.  Add a note including the date and any info to indicate to yourself whether the internet service is running, or not and, whether or not, according to the modem LEDs, it is indicating that it's online.  Save that data in a file somewhere.  Thats your baseline data.  When your internet service goes out, log back into the modem and do the same routine.  The purpose is to determine whether or not (at the time that the service goes out) there is any change in the Signal strength levels or Signal to Noise ratios, and whether or not the modem stays online.   If there is no change in the levels and the modem remains online, then yes, the issue is probably further upstream, beyond the node.  If there is any change in the levels, possibly a drastic change, then that might indicate that there is something afoot at the node itself.  I would suspect something at the card level, or possibly with a power supply if that was the case.  Unfortunately these type of intermittent issues can be difficult to track down, to everyone's great frustration.

If you decide to do this, can you also paste the Downstream and Upstream data here as well, just to have a look at it.  Don't paste in the data that sits above the Downstream table, like the IP address, etc.  Just the tables themselves.

Edit:  I think VivienM has a great idea.  If your digital cable or home phone is affected by the problem, report it as a cable or phone issue.  See if that results in quicker action.

I Plan to Stick Around

After 9 weeks, including 21 days without reliable service, 19 calls to Rogers, and opening numerous cases, the problem was resolved.

The challenge:  Engineering or maintenance kept closing the cases after escalating from first level because the problem was intermittent.

The solution:  Perseverance.   I kept calling Rogers whenever I received intermittent disconnects and I kept the tech on the line to confirm that both my modem and all of the neighbourhood modems were having intemittent problems.   I kept opening new cases whenever the old one was closed. 

On the 19th call to Rogers, the tech informed me that L2 finally acknowledged that there was an area issue and that they had opened an Area ticket.  That must have been the trigger because the issue then resolved itself.

I did not have to reboot my modem or fiddle with signal levels.  Nothing was done on my end.

Epilogue: I waited for one month of stable service, called Rogers, explained the situation and received a credit for the period of service issues.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: How to escalate repeating intermitte​nt area disconnect​s?

Wasnt with internet, but TV.. but went through much the same thing.

Required multiple calling... every day if necessary... let them keep sending techs out.. its their $ that they were wasting.. until they finally realized it was something else for the area, that needed to be fixed.