How to configure my new hitron 2 in 1 with my iMac and Time Capsule

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

How to configure my new hitron 2 in 1 with my iMac and Time Capsule

I just obtained a new hitron modem with a built in router from Rogers because I upgraded to an Ignite internet package. My desktop is an iMac with a Time Capsule (TC). Up to now, I have been using an older modem from Rogers and my TC has served as my router. Now, I would like to use the new router that is built into the hitron modem, and only use the TC for storage and backups. 

Can someone tell me how to configure/wire up this setup? I have called Rogers but they tell me they do not deal with 3rd party products.

Currently, I have been able to get the new modem working and its router feature is also working and allows me to connect my iMac and other devices (iPad, cell phones) wirelessly to the internet. However, I cannot figure out how to get my TC connected and working just for storage and backups.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

***Edited Lables***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Re: How to configure my new hitron 2 in 1 with my iMac and Time Capsule

@cluettwi

There are two options for connecting the TC to the Hitron modem.

Option 1:

The easier of the two option is to switch the Hitron the bridge mode and continue to use the TC as a router. Switching the Hitron to bridge mode can be done by accessing the modem's configuration page (see the bridge modem guide) or contact Rogers support. With the Hitron in bridge mode your TC should function as it did before the modem change. Note that all devices currently connecting to the Hitron modem will need to connect to the TC for internet.

Option 2:

Continue using the Hitron as it is and change your TC to access point or switch mode. I am not familiar with TC, so you may need to contact Apple or consult the TC documentation. However, this involves;

1. disabling DHCP on the TC

2. setting a static LAN IP on the TC to something similiar to the Hitron, eg. 192.168.0.5

3. switching the wirless mode of the TC to access point (if you want to use the TC for wireless)

4. connecting the Hitron to one of the LAN ports on the TC

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Hiiiiii @cluettwi
I don't use TC myself, but if TC acts like a router, than I would presume the first step is to turn off its wifi (It will function as storage only) - logically speaking.

Do you have Ignite Internet Package, or did you get the Whole Ignite 2 yr bundle?
Reason I ask, is because 2yr bundle comes with TechXpert (for free). Those guy's are NOT techsupport, they are Specialty Experts who help with all non-rogers networking issues.
Tech Supports help with in-house products and services.
Tech Xpert is like your personal tech-guy like people have in offices. they can Remote access (if you allow them to) and go things like virus clean up, malware protection, set up networking with any connected devices including consoles, tablets, TC (what you want) etc....

However, If you don't have TechXpert, we have some Apple fans here who probably use TC as well.

Anyone want to chime in with help?
While I personally look up the process of TC myself...

Also Welcome to the Community! :] Hope you like it here!
Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

@cluettwi

There are two options for connecting the TC to the Hitron modem.

Option 1:

The easier of the two option is to switch the Hitron the bridge mode and continue to use the TC as a router. Switching the Hitron to bridge mode can be done by accessing the modem's configuration page (see the bridge modem guide) or contact Rogers support. With the Hitron in bridge mode your TC should function as it did before the modem change. Note that all devices currently connecting to the Hitron modem will need to connect to the TC for internet.

Option 2:

Continue using the Hitron as it is and change your TC to access point or switch mode. I am not familiar with TC, so you may need to contact Apple or consult the TC documentation. However, this involves;

1. disabling DHCP on the TC

2. setting a static LAN IP on the TC to something similiar to the Hitron, eg. 192.168.0.5

3. switching the wirless mode of the TC to access point (if you want to use the TC for wireless)

4. connecting the Hitron to one of the LAN ports on the TC

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thank you kr6 and ShakTib. I am hoping someone out their is familiar with the TC and can help walk me through what I need to do. As I say, I want to use the new modem as my router and only use my TC for backups, etc.

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

In that case, you want option 2 above. A quick search turned up these instructions on how to put the TC in bridge mode. That should walk you through the necessary steps. This should be performed with your device connected to the TC. Note the steps to power cycle both the Hitron router and the TC at the end of the posting.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@cluettwi wrote:

Thank you kr6 and ShakTib. I am hoping someone out their is familiar with the TC and can help walk me through what I need to do. As I say, I want to use the new modem as my router and only use my TC for backups, etc.

Why would you want to do that?

The routing/wifi performance of the Rogers gateways is well known to be disappointing.

Unless your TC is the first-generation model from 2008 or maybe the second generation from 2009, I would expect it would perform better than the Rogers gateway.

Put the Rogers gateway in bridge mode, keep using your TC as router, avoid any reconfiguration of your network, and carry on.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

My TC has a 2009 date on the back. I assumed that the Rogers router found in my new modem would be better.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thank you kr6.
I'm Here A Lot

Thank you VivienM.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

VivenM, what is the easiest way to put my Rogers modem in bridge mode?