How to change the DNS settings on cisco DPC3825?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

How to change the DNS settings on cisco DPC3825?

I was having problem with the DNS servers of Rogers and my DNS is 64.71.255.198.

I want to change it to google DNS...

My wired connection is working because I set it up to google dns but my wireless devices are not since it is connected to the gateway.

How can I change the settings of the DNS in cisco DPC3825? 

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: How to change the DNS settings on cisco DPC3825?

After logging in click Setup then LAN Setup.
At the bottom there are three lines. I use 1 Google and 1 Verizon DNS in case one gets slow or knocked off line.
Static Lan 1- 8.8.8.8
Static Lan 2 - 4.2.2.1
Static Lan 3 - 156.154.70.1

**UPDATE**

Hey everything,

For full steps on how to setup alternate an DNS on a DPC3825, please click the following link.

Thanks

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks.

does it matter in which order or should i put the google on the second and keep the 1st?

i will try putting your verizon dns on the 3rd or 2nd...

I will set it up when i get home...

thanks so much

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would put the google ones at the top.. pretty much, they try from the top down.. so if the top one fails, it trys the next.. but could be a SLIGHT delay as it goes down the list to try.. so always best to put the most stable at the top.

I've Been Here Awhile

Ok.. that makes sense... so the most stable is google? or rogers?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would say google unfortunately Smiley Sad

Some people have had off and on issues with the rogers one.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I just posted a similar comment on another thread about the outage last night.

My suggestion is to keep Rogers are your primary DNS service (ip address already noted in posting above this one) as it will usually provide you with the fastest response time with the lowest latency.   There is a way to test for this if you're technically inclined however it's a moving target at any point in time.

Override this though with a secondary site such as Google or your other favourite DNS services for those times when primary DNS fails.  Very few routers will provide the ability to load a tertiary ip address for DNS however those that do can have yet another one loaded in a sequence where the primary is preferred then secondary, then tertiary, etc.

There are many permutations possible but I've set up Rogers as primary DNS and Google as secondary on my router and I was able to bypass the DNS problems from last night.    This process should work on any router that allows you to override default DNS settings.

I've Been Here Awhile

changed the dns...my wireless devices are working now... thanks guys

I'm an Advisor

@all:

the DNS server you specify for your location may be different than what is optimal for my location.  Check out the following URL and do the DNS benchmarks and you will find out which is best at the time you run the test:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/networking/use-dns-benchmarking-tools-to-optimize-performance/3580

The above mentions two different DNS benchmarking processes.  Both will give you recommendations and rationales for their results.  Check it out.  You will find that Roger, DNS or whatever may or may not be the best.

They will check your current DNS settings and rate them against their measured results.   They also check DNS servers for possible hanky panky stuff, including censoring and unwarranted redirecting, usually done to generate revenue for the DNS server site.

And, as mentioned in an earlier posting the DNS addresses will be used in order, so you should put the fastest and most responsive DNS site first in your list.

skinorth