cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change the DNS address on the 2nd gen ignite wifi modem?

noobnoob
I've Been Here Awhile

I've tried everything and I just cannot find this basic setting. Please help!

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to change the DNS address on the 2nd gen ignite wifi modem?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@noobnoob wrote:

Unfortunately, you cannot configure an alternate/3rd-party DNS server on the Ignite gateways.  Here's the official explanation (posted back in November, 2019) as to why: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ask-an-Expert-Archives/Ask-an-Expert-Ignite-TV-Pt-II/m-p/45094...

I was hoping you guys would allow us to use custom DNS servers on the XB6 like on the previous Hitron Gateway. Is this something that is going to be made available with a future firmware update?

At this time, custom DNS servers aren’t compatible with the Protected Browsing and Parental Control features in Ignite Wi-Fi Hub.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@noobnoob wrote:

Unfortunately, you cannot configure an alternate/3rd-party DNS server on the Ignite gateways.  Here's the official explanation (posted back in November, 2019) as to why: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ask-an-Expert-Archives/Ask-an-Expert-Ignite-TV-Pt-II/m-p/45094...

I was hoping you guys would allow us to use custom DNS servers on the XB6 like on the previous Hitron Gateway. Is this something that is going to be made available with a future firmware update?

At this time, custom DNS servers aren’t compatible with the Protected Browsing and Parental Control features in Ignite Wi-Fi Hub.

View solution in original post

noobnoob
I've Been Here Awhile

Is it possible to just get Normal Internet? I don't need ignite or whatever that is.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@noobnoob wrote:

Is it possible to just get Normal Internet? I don't need ignite or whatever that is.

You can get "Normal Internet" by enabling Bridge Mode on the Ignite gateway and connecting your own router.  Unfortunately, Rogers is not offering any other cable modems to their residential customers, nor will they let customers use their own modems.

Rogers started rolling out these Comcast-designed all-in-one modem/gateways a few years ago as part of their Ignite TV service.  Now they are "standard issue" for all residential Internet customers.  They are a great fit for most people, can be managed through a mobile app, the hardware is fast and capable, and the XB6 and XB7 gateways can also serve as the hub for other potential connected home service offerings.  However, their biggest disadvantage is the software that runs on them: they lack features and configuration options that many users have come to expect, and there is no way to change or disable unwanted behaviour.

noobnoob
I've Been Here Awhile
Thanks for taking the time to write this detailed answer. I was thinking of switching over to Bell but it seems they cannot be trusted.

EtaCarinae
I Plan to Stick Around

(Merged Post)

Hi,

I am looking for where I can change the DNS servers for both IPv4 and IPv6 on the XB7. If I go to the Rogers Network status I can see the default ISP DNS addresses, but I am unable to edit them.

I figured maybe I needed to use the app like is required to set up port forwarding (silly) but again, can view them with no option to edit.

Are these really locked down on the consumer side, with the only workaround being bridge mode + separate router with custom DNS servers setup?

Thanks

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately, you cannot specify alternate DNS servers on the Ignite gateways.  Rogers has provided official reasons why, and I have linked to those posts here and here.

EtaCarinae
I Plan to Stick Around

@-G-

Thanks for the reply

keya
I've Been Here Awhile

My four airport express keep losing wifi connectivity due to faulty DNS server from Rogers. The fix according to Apple community forums is to change DNS servers to Google universal DNS servers, but Rogers won’t allow this fix! Only way I can fix the airport express is to use airport utility on MacBook Pro, click on internet options, click on renew DNS lease (seems by default it goes to 2 days and can’t be changed to forever which might solve problem), click save changes and 4 airport come up right away and can be used again to play music to airport 2 speakers throughout house. My brand new HomePod mini can no longer be asked when playing music to “play this also in dining room”. Siri replies she can’t do that. I have to use my iPhone now to get music through the airplay 2 speakers. Ridiculous! The shut down of the 4 airport express seems to coincide with whenever I turn on ignite tv box in upstairs bedroom but not the ignite box in the living room downstairs and yet that tv box is further away from the cable/modem located on second floor. Rogers whole setup is crazy with this damned ignite Arris XB6 cable/modem and tv boxes. The old Hitron cable/modem connected everything perfectly before it gave up the ghost one day following another power outage from damned Toronto Hydro (Rogers doesn’t want customers using surge protection on cable/modems claiming it ruins the signal). Then when I asked for a replacement Hitron Rogers claimed Hitron was no longer making them (blatant lie as it turns out since Tech Savvy and I am seriously thinking of switching to them just to get a Hitron back still rents and even sells them as well as Hitron itself). Instead Rogers insisted I had to abandon my “legacy devices” and switch to all the junk they subsequently rent to me. . the tech they sent out to do an expensive installation supposedly because I had Rogers home monitoring and needed a tech for setup, didn’t even tell me how to secure the arris XB6 cable/modem from hackers by changing the default password on the thing. I had to figure out how to do that myself by getting login info for the cable/modem because you can’t do it on the useless app they tell you to download and use. Furthermore, the same tech jerk didn’t tell me I had to change set up my voice mail anew on the new ignite phone service. I assumed it would be same password as Rogers home phone I had had for years. Not so. Wound up having to call tech support so they could help me. By the way, don’t bother calling tech support at Rogers for wifi disconnects which are frequent because they are useless as well for that. They have less understanding of networking than I do, for God’s sake! In brief and to sum up, I am left with a subpar cable/modem that frequently drops wifi connections on my 4 airport express, a brand new HomePod mini that won’t function properly over Rogers wifi and I have been repeatedly lied to and underserviced by Rogers and their techs. If you want a decent well functioning wifi in your house, do not opt for Rogers!

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

(staring off with sorry if i missed anything you did post about, with the one giant paragraph, its a little difficult to read)

It sounds like you have the new modem with the setup.. Is it JUST the modem? or do you have the pods as well?
Generally, i don't experience any wifi dropouts on mine, but I am using the Gen1 pods in conjunction with the modem.

Interesting that the airports are dropping like that.
I don't think that its a general issue like that for apple products, while I no longer run any airport devices, i do have 2 apple TVs, which both stay connected and an able to use as an airplay source for outputting video/music to.

Its been a while since I have set up an airport device.  I am assuming these are the express? 
I am trying to remember, if you do have any ADDRESSING capability with them, that you can manually change the IP, etc in them (as opposed to just DHCP).  If so that would be one option there, setting a static IP address, and quite possibly set the DNS there.
The reason I aske about the express, if you had an extreme, that would be an option as well.
You could set the modem into BRIDGE mode, which makes it into a modem only, then use your airport devices for handling all the wifi, etc.

Don_Ca
I'm a Reliable Contributor
Set manual IP address info on them and set your DNS. Some devices you can keep DHCP for IP but manually set the DNS (like my Mac) Simple solution.
Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 6 in conversation