How to avoid surprise charges using smartphone overseas

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rdms
I Plan to Stick Around

How to avoid surprise charges using smartphone overseas

First, I have Roam Like Home plan on my smartphone. Second, will be visiting a country that isn't covered by this plan. I hope to get by with relying on wifi. So my question is, what do I need to turn on/off on my smartphone to avoid any surprise roaming charges? For example, if I simply put my phone (Samsung S5) on airplane mode & then turn the wifi on, would this do the trick? Any other suggestions would be welcomed. TIA

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: How to avoid surprise charges using smartphone overseas

Hello @rdms

In my own personal opinion I would suggest removing the sim card and turning the device into airplane mode and just use WiFi or Bluetooth if needed. This way they can not charge you for any oversees data seeing as the sim card has been removed from the device it self and isn't working.

Thats what I have done and thousands of others as well and it's worked wonders.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @rdms

In my own personal opinion I would suggest removing the sim card and turning the device into airplane mode and just use WiFi or Bluetooth if needed. This way they can not charge you for any oversees data seeing as the sim card has been removed from the device it self and isn't working.

Thats what I have done and thousands of others as well and it's worked wonders.

View solution in original post

rdms
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks @Meowmix ... this is exactly what I did.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @rdms

You are welcome! 🙂
Bb31
I've Been Here Awhile

Traveling with Galaxy 6

I will be in China and want to use my phone as camera only.   Will using Airplane mode throughout the trip avoid any charges for mobile or data use?

Thanks

RogersShaun

Hello @Bb31,

Welcome to the Community Forums!

Great question, and it's always a good idea to stay on top of your data usage, especially when travelling! 

As @Meowmix said a few posts above yours, it's also a good idea to remove the SIM from your phone while travelling to ensure there are no additional roaming charges. 

I hope this helps!

RogersShaun

Bb31
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you I will do that