How much data does UMA use?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

How much data does UMA use?

If I were to drop my home line and use UMA exclusively at home, how much data usage are we looking at? Enough to be concerned about data caps?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: How much data does UMA use?

Rogers WiFi calling fluctuates data consumption between 30Kbps download/upload to a max of roughly 512kbps -

You would notice, for ~500minutes of talk time an increase of data on your internet modem of ~100-900MB depending on how much you use it.

I used to use UMA regularly, and found on my residential home internet connection it never impacted my usage to any point where I was afraid of overage charges - a few hours on Youtube/facebook wall jumping/gaming are going to consume MUCH more data than WiFi calling.

If you're on a low internet plan, and you enjoy the internet as much as wifi calling - you may want to bump up your plan to be on the safe side to allow for other internet use.  

Regards,

Jaloz

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

With UMA, you don't have to worry about data caps. 🙂

UMA uses your wifi, which is why Rogers offers unlimited calling because it's going over your own WIFI, so go nuts. 🙂 It's just like using your laptop on your wifi, data just goes off that.
You'll find me when I'm not playing or ref'ing hockey or volleyball.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

That's what I meant. With the data caps from residential ISPs like Rogers and Bell, would I have to be concerned with using UMA?
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers WiFi calling fluctuates data consumption between 30Kbps download/upload to a max of roughly 512kbps -

You would notice, for ~500minutes of talk time an increase of data on your internet modem of ~100-900MB depending on how much you use it.

I used to use UMA regularly, and found on my residential home internet connection it never impacted my usage to any point where I was afraid of overage charges - a few hours on Youtube/facebook wall jumping/gaming are going to consume MUCH more data than WiFi calling.

If you're on a low internet plan, and you enjoy the internet as much as wifi calling - you may want to bump up your plan to be on the safe side to allow for other internet use.  

Regards,

Jaloz

View solution in original post