How many GB in a TB according to Rogers?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

How many GB in a TB according to Rogers?

This might sound like a dumb question but how does Rogers define a TB?  Is it 1000GB or 1024GB?  

I am on the (now deprecated) Ultimate 250 service where I have a monthly limit of 1TB.  When I look at my usage it shows that so far this month I have used 425,016MB which is 415.05GB - so Rogers uses 1024 MB per GB.  It shows my usage allowance as 1TB but it doesn't show it in GB.

So do I get 1024GB or 1000GB?  The difference could be $24/month - which is overage for 24GB.

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: How many GB in a TB according to Rogers?

I would assume the 1024.. but.. not positive 😞

Acccording to @RogersHelps on twitter the answer is 1000.

Rogers Employee kr6
Rogers Employee

Wayner92,

As trivial as it may seem, this is a very good question. Rogers uses the binary conversion, so 1024GB = 1TB. However, if your Usage Allowance is listed as 1000GB, you will be charged overage if you exceed 1000GB.

Now for the long answer:

This took some digging to find the correct answer. As you have shown, the HSI Usage Tool uses the binary conversion from MB to GB (MiB to GiB if you must). The binary conversion is also used from GB to TB. The current HSI Usage Tool shows monthly usage in GB so conversion to TB is not actively done.

What made this difficult to pin down was because of contradicting information in the Rogers FAQ (I hope the rogers.com folks are lurking around here). The Keeping Pace FAQ states that 1024 is used for MB to GB conversion. However, this Internet Usage FAQ states that 1000MB is approximately 1GB. This decimal conversion is also contradicted here and Wireless also uses the 1024 conversion.

Thanks - I have noticed on the MyRogers app it shows that my included data is 1024 GB. That info isn't presented the same way on the web portal.