How do you connect a router to cisco DP3825 modem?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

How do you connect a router to cisco DP3825 modem?

My wireless connection is not very good throughout the house so I want to add a router. How do I go about doing this?

***edited labels***

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: How do you connect a router to cisco DP3825 modem?

Cisco DPC3825 has an inherent problem of poor ability in selecting wireless channel in automatic mode. To fix this, login to your DPC3825, go to the wireless section and change wireless channel from automatic mode to a less congested channel. Use inSSDier to determine the least congested channel.

If this won't be good enough, switch DPC3825 into the bridged mode (modem only) and buy a good 3rd party router (preferable dual band and with external antennas).)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

To change it to bridged... I believe that it's called 'disable commercial gateway'.

"Disable commercial gateway" was on SMCD3GN. There is no such option on Cisco DPC3825. On Cisco just head to Administration tab and the first option will be something like GATEWAY MODE. Change to DISABLE and reboot the gateway.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thanks tedd13. Been almost 3 years since I have had the Cisco, forgot the terminology used on that one.

I've Been Around

I'm having the same problem. Can someone please help me. Can I use the Modem/Router as a gateway and just add a router to make the wireless stonger? This DPC3825 is awful. I bought a new EA2700 from Cisco to make the range better,

You can definetely use Cisco DPC3825 in a gateway mode and use another router as an access point only. However,

- only by assigning manual wireless channel to your DPC3825 you will significantly improve wireless performance of your CISCO gateway.

- It is not reccommended to use the same SSID on your DPC3825 and EA2700. Use different SSID on EA2700.

- Linksys EA2700 does not really have great range. You will be much better off using a router with beamforming antennas, like Netgear R6300 or R7000. Latest ASUS routers also are good performers BUT they run VERY warm and might require active cooling.

I suggest buying several routers, try them all, pick the best one and return the other ones.

I Plan to Stick Around

After many years, I recently updated to the new Internet packages, specifically the Hybrid Fibre 30 package.

I had to take in my old trusty Motorola modem, and it was replaced with a Cisco DP3825. 

It was easy to setup, and I was happy to have the wifi/modem all in one device, but I quickly found that the WIFI was really terrible.. there were dropouts, poor range etc... 

So I went in to the Cisco device and disabled the wireless, then plugged in my trusty Apple Airport Extreme that I had been using for years, and thankfully I got my range and stability back for the WIFI. I noticed that after I did this, the Apple Airport said in the configuration that their was "double NAT" going on, and to switch to a different mode which I did. 

However, now I'm wondering if I have this set up correctly, as a lot of people mention putting the Cisco into bridge mode instead of router mode. Everything is working fine, but it has been so long since I have set up this network/wireless sort of thing that I've forgotten all the best practices etc.. I'm also wondering that the best practices are for the Security section in the menu, what are the typical settings everyone is using for SPI Firewall, do you enable any of the scan/flood/fragemented IPs checkboxes on this page?

Also, I'm adding Rogers TV back in to my home, and it comes with a free upgrade to a Advanced Wireless Gateway (the 12$ modem, not the 8$ one I have now). Is it worth it to upgrade to this modem whatever it is or just keep what I have?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, in your current setup, you would be double NATing.. double firewalling, etc... as its all running on the 3825, as well as your airport.

For general usage.. it might not be an issue.. but as you get into some specific apps, devices, etc, they may run into some MAJOR issues with this.

Your best bet is to go one of two ways.

Bridge mode... this efectively turns the device into a MODEM ONLY.. then you can run the airport just as you did before.

Alternatively, you can turn your airport into a wireless access point.

You need to turn the router mode to OFF.  This pretty much just allows the wireless to work on it, but it wants something else on the network (the 3825 in this case) to do the DHCP, firewall, etc.

The advanced gateway, is a slight improvement over the 3825 range wise, etc.. may not be quite as good still as your own.

--------------

I wont go into the stand alone modem vs the gateway argument.. but there are reasons as to why they are trying to move people over to the newer ones.

the older moterola you had, was a ONE channel modem.  so if alot in the area were on at the same time.. there is chance of congestion... think of it like everyone using a single lane road.

The 3825, is an 8 channel... so now 8 lane road.

the CGN3 (the advanced modem) is up to 24.
Rogers is trying to get everyone over to these.. as it acctually makes the network run BETTER.. and less people running into issues durring high usage times, etc.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the reply, the way I have it set up right now, the DP3825 is set to default gateway mode, but wireless is disabled. 

AIrport Extreme is set to bridge mode (non router). As I said everything works fine, my speeds are good etc... so I guess I am ok there.

I was more worried about the security aspect, and what security settings I should set on the DP3825. 

Right now it's at the default. SPI Firewall is set to low, IPv6 protection is set to on, and the three check boxes I have on this screen (IP fragements, block port scan, and IP flood detection) are currently unchecked. Block WAN requests (Block Anonymous Internet Requests) is enabled.