How do I setup Netgear N600

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

How do I setup Netgear N600

I had a Rogers tech yesterday put my Rogers modem into bridge mode so I can use my newly purchased Netgear 600 WNDR3400v3 router. When doing the speedtest wireless/hardwired to the router I get below 29mbps download and 16 mbps upload..he had me do a speedtest by directly connecting the ethernet to the modem and running the test..to my surprise I recieved 191 mbps download and 16mbps upload...how do I obtain the speed using the Netgear router?

What settings do I need to adjust the Netgear Router?

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: How do I setup Netgear N600

1/2 of the problem here is the modem and 1/2 being your router.

The cgn3 currently has a bug where it doesn't alway link properly to 10/100 devices. Your router only has 10/100 ports, so it's being effected
(There was someone else on here with the exact same router with same issue)

If it was just installed yesterday, it may not be on the latest firmware, which helps some bridge mode stuff but not this.

Even if this bug did not exist, your max speed would be throttled via the router. You would never get over 100 with that unit.

You would be best to invest in a Good router with gigabit ports. (And even at that level of quality difference between a $70 gig port one and a $150+ one)

I Plan to Stick Around

The Rogers TechXpert I spoke with last night couldn't help me either after he took control if my computer. He was unable to configure it. He recommended me getting a Dlink router and that Netgear may not be compatible with the new Hitron router.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There appears to be a discrepancy between the router datasheet and the manual.  The datasheet indicates that the router has Five (5) 10/100/1000 (1 WAN and 4 LAN) Gigabit Ethernet ports with auto-sensing technology.  The manual indicates that the ports are 10/100.  It would appear that your tests have confirmed that the ports are 10/100 when you take into account the probable bug in the CGN3 which limits 10/100 connections to some speed far below 100Mb/s.  Reading through a Cnet review, and yes, they are 10/100 ports.

There was a similar case earlier this week with a motherboard which only has a 10/100 ethernet port built in.  Here's the link: 

Have a read thru the comments starting with the submission from @daviddu.

So, I think your best bet would be to return the router and pick up another one that has 10/100/1000 ports on it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

its not really a 'configuration' issue per say..

its A) a bug with the 10/100 connecting in the CNG3.

and B )  even if that was working, you would still never get your 150 speed on it.

There are others, who have gigabit routers, who have been able to with the unit, get 150 and even 250 speeds without issue.

I Plan to Stick Around

I returned the Netgear to Future Shop and picked up the Dlink AC1200..do I have to make any necessary changes in order to obtain that speed?

My rogers modem is currently in bridge mode..any difference if I unbridge it?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Bridged, the Dlink will do everything.  If you unbridge it, the firewall becomes active on the CGN3 and you will have to decide what you want for addresses from the Dlink router.  If you want to have the CGN3 supply all of the network addresses, you will have to disable the DHCP server within the DLink.  See page 11 of the Dir-850L Manual.  To access either the CGN3 or the Dlink when they are up and running, you will have to set the Dlink address outside of the CGN3 address range.  Have a quick read through the manual to see what it indicates for connection methods to upstream modems.  It should indicate everything that you have to do for the different connection methods.

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: How do I setup router

I am having a hard time reaching my Fibe speed of 150 mb wirelessly. Future Shop tech guy told me t would be able to..but I am not that familiar with the settings...what would I need to change in order to do..I have upgraded the Firmware and connected my MacBook to the 5Gz wireless network..I am using the Dlink DIR-820L.

Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can you run a check via wired connection to see what the wired download rate is.  This is just to confirm that you are seeng the 150 Mb/s rate via wired connection into the Dlink router and back out via one of its LAN ports.  For the wireless connection check both the Mac book and Dlink to see if they are on the same 802.11n setting for example.  I'm not familiar with the Mac book so I don't know what 802.11 a  / n / ?? setting is available.  You would want to set the Mac book to the fastest transmission standard.  802.11ac will give you the fastest rate, followed by 802.11n.  I would lock it the fastest single standard instead of 802.11 / a / n dual setting.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would agree with that.

If all your devices are say N or AC, change the settings for that wireless (2.4 or 5) to be that speed only or just the ones you specifically need.

If you leave it with G compatability, many devices may throttle the connection down to closer to G speeds 😞