How do I get rid of Rogers Yahoo SPAM!!??

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrdmcd
I've Been Around

Re: How do I get rid of Rogers Yahoo SPAM!!??

Thank you to the last poster. I have added Webmail Adblocker to my Firefox, and all of the ads are now gone, both those on the side, and the new ones at the top of the email inbox. Rogers should be truly ashamed of these!!!! We are paying high prices for Rogers email; the ads at the side are intrusive enough, but these new ads are truly beyond the limit. Plus they are sketchy and inappropriate...silly surveys, and ads for those who want a 40+ girlfriend. Rogers really has been cheap and  unprofessional on this, and I will be attempting to pursue this further.  For now, Webmail Adblocker, easily gotten on firefox add ons, seems to work.

JohhnyRockets
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Interesting to read some of the last few posts, since I made the recommendation to use Adblock Plus and/or Webmail Ad Blocker back on the first page of this thread. Smiley Wink Oh well, at least people are getting the message especially in light of a recent posting by Rogers on Facebook stating that the ads are here to stay. 

I too was unaware that Adblocker Plus is now also available for Internet Explorer so that is definitely one useful piece of information. 

Now, if only Google Play would allow ad blocking apps to be made available from the Play Store, we would also be able to block the same intrusive ad from showing up when using the Android Yahoo email app on other devices as well. Wonder if anyone has a solution for this one? For those of you with iPhones or iPads, there is such an app called Adblock Mobile available from the iTunes store! 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That addblock, would likely only work though, for WEB PAGE based stuff.

So if you accessed the rogers/yahoo webmail via the safari browswer, etc.

Using the YAHOO app (or other similar apps), likely they would not do anything, as its that App which has control of what is displayed on it, etc.

With the availability of IMAP (not quite as good as activesync but close enough), instead of PoP... mostly i have chosen on all my portable devices, to use the standard email client, with the IMAP connection.. keeps everything on the server, syncs/updates between devices, and no adds, etc at all 🙂

There has been over the years, such a PUSH to get people to move over to using webmail.. sort of pushing the PoP, etc support by the wayside.
stuff like THIS will be pushing people BACK to using 3rd party clients

(just hopefully they then do get set up CORRECTLY... .otherwise can be like my mother, who someone set hers up as PoP, download all... which was fine till her local mail file corrupted.. ALL gone)

agall1
I've Been Around

What a great answer!!  I installed Chrome and the Ads block plus extension and volia there gone!!!  I now need to use Chrome to view my emails but its worth it!

Thanks Andy 

DJSL
I've Been Here Awhile

I just installed AdBlock Plus and my Yahoo banners are gone for my Rogers/Yahoo mail page.   Thanks to those who suggested it.

This still does not mean I'm keeping rogers.  I have started the ball rolling on replacing Home Phone and Cable.  Only have the cell phones (4) and when the individual contracts run out so does our business with Rogers.

rdwoof
I've Been Here Awhile

Today I got an image of a woman in a low cut top with the heading "Mature Quality Singles - Date a Rich Woman - Women in high income brackets are requesting men ages 40+".

WOW !!!! Is Rogers ever a class act.  The revenue they must be getting from "Mature Quality Singles" must be huge.  With that that kind of adversiting revenue they will not miss the hunderds of dollars I pay every month.  I am sure they will not miss me when I am gone ... which will be as soon as my contract ends.

RogersStrick
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello everyone,

We appreciate your feedback regarding the placement of advertising on Rogers Yahoo email. We wanted to let everyone know that we are listening and are equally concerned that our customers are unhappy with this change. This is now under review and we will keep you posted.

More details will follow once I know more.

Thanks,

RogersStrick

Shuss
I've Been Around

this recent ad in my inbox is annoying-regardless of reason for it, or ways to fix/decrease the problem-I pay a hefty monthly fee to have multiple services by rogers and therefore shouldn't be bombarded with additional advertising (Rogers already texts me, mails me, emails me etc.)

SO my question is, does anyone know if I switch providers and even email accounts, is there an easy way to save my emails from my rogers account that date back to who knows when?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The easiest way, and I might be wrong about this, is to set up your own email application on your pc, such as Outlook, Pegasus Mail, etc.  Configure the program to connect and download your mail, but leave a copy on the server if you so choose.  If and when you make the leap to another provider, ensure that that company supports pop / imap for email, and all you would have to do is change the connection addresses and connection details and poof, you're good to go.  To back up your email locally, simply make a copy of the program directory and store it on another drive, or on a backup drive that you use for occasional backups.  You would only really need the file that contains the email, but, with a complete folder backup, in the event of a worst case total loss scenario, simply copy the old stored folder over the lost or damaged folder.  You would lose recent mail that had been downloaded, but, with a copy still on the server, reconnect and download the mail that was lost. 

StanNewmarket
I Plan to Stick Around

The big digital news item of the day, is that Lenovo has been caught with their pants down, purposely infecting their new computers with trojan Superfish malware for the sole purpose of inflicting their customers with in-your-face-spam-ads!    

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/superfish-adware-frenzy-over-lenovo-betrayal-of-trust-1.2968640

Chinese Lenovo admits that they are paid big bucks by advertisers to deliver in-your-face-ads to their customers! 

While Lenovo has now been relegated to the lowest-end bottom-feeding unethical scum of the industry . . .

Rogers' most recent aggressive in-your-face approach to alienating customers is different from Lenovo . . . I just can't come up with any observable ethical or practical difference.

Do those basking in the Rogers Executive suite lay awake at night searching for new ways to thrill and retain current customers with Rogers, or even attract new customers? Or do they merely spend their nights angrily knashing their teeth dreaming up innovative new ways to alienate customers with new in-your-face anti-customer agendas.

There has to be something REALLY REALLY sick going on up there in head office, or they wouldn't be so dedicated to perputually promoting such a malignant business plan.