How do I get rid of Rogers Yahoo SPAM!!??

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohhnyRockets
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: How do I get rid of Rogers Yahoo SPAM!!??

On that note Gdkitty, i also read that even on new machines running up-to-date software, that if you switch from full-featured email to basic email, the ad no longer appears. Of course doing this, you lose all of the added features of the regular email. This would not be my solution of choice. 

I also agree with most of the others who are posting on here. The ads are obtrusive; the content of the ads is often in poor taste and questionable taste; the fact that we have to put up with this from Rogers is just plain wrong. Unfortunately on this one, Yahoo is the one calling the shots. Of course, Rogers chose to partner with Yahoo - which in itself is really too bad. Yahoo has never listened to customers when it comes to things like this. A number of years ago, there was an uproar over the very intrusive ad placed on the Yahoo (also the Rogers/Yahoo) homepage. The ad is still there. Yahoo could care less whether we like it or not - they are earning added revenue!

So the bottom line is you can complain all you want, but unfortunately the complaints will most likely fall upon deaf ears. Rogers has even stated on their Facebook page that the ads are here to stay! My solution is the ad blockers. They not  only work on Yahoo and Rogers/Yahoo pages but on all other Websites as well. If you are not happy using the ad blockers, so be it, but at least with the ad blockers, I have much more control over my Internet experience and I am not at the mercy of Yahoo or any other company which think they can dictate what I see on the pages I visit!

ottawaborn
I've Been Around

How do I get RID of all the annoying ads popping up on yahoo mail ROGERS email account..HELP!!

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: How do I get RID of all the annoying ads popping up on yahoo mail ROGERS email account..HELP!!

This has become a rather hot topic over the last couple of days.  May I draw your attention to the following thread.  Have a look at post #2.  You may want to read thru the entire thread. 

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/2233...

The solution appears to be to load Adblock Plus, Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon and Webmail Ad Blocker.  Webmail Ad Blocker can be found here:

For Chrome:   http://jasonsavard.com/webmailAdBlocker

For Firefox:  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/webmail-ad-blocker/

I also run NoScript, which requires user actions to allow those portions of the pages that you want to see.  That takes a little while to set permissions, but once its done, its fairly painfree.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Maybe the solution is to contact CTV or CBC. That might get someone's attention.

JohhnyRockets
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I like your idea about contacting the media Datalink, but doubt that this would be a burning issue! Unfortunately Internet advertising is here to stay and if you do not like it, ad blockers are the way to go!

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think thats a big point there JohhnyRockets.

EVERYTHING is moving that way.
Newspaper? Read online.
News station? Watch Online.

Watch your videos... your movies, tv, etc.... all online.

With general media going that way... places need to shift their ADDS income, to the other venues.
Same as the people wanting to POST the adds, are going to be pushing people to allow their adds to be shown, as they want their product to still be seen.

I am not agreeing with having the new spot, its overkill with the 2 other add spots already...
I just understand WHY they are doing it 😞

Lolpete
I've Been Around

Hello

I followed your instructions but the Opt Out button did not do anything.

My partner succeeded in getting the button to work but still sees the sponsored email spam thing at the top of his email list.

Any more suggestions?

lisapapadapa
I've Been Around

This ad blocker (for Firefox) gets rid of the banner ad at the top of your inbox:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/

StanNewmarket
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks lisapapadapa!

Just got adblockplus for IE 11 from https://adblockplus.org/

It works gets with IE !!  Finally!  No more annoying banner ad at the top of my inbox!!

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I never realized there was an ABP for IE!  nice.

Just a little tip for anyone that uses it, (used to have the issues ocassionaly with FF with it).
If you randomly seem to have a website which seems to not fully load properly.. try turning off ABP.
Ocassionally seen that for whatever reason (usually bad code) that when the add doesnt load its not continuing the rest of the code for the rest of the page.