How do I get rid of Rogers Yahoo SPAM!!??

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: How do I get rid of Rogers Yahoo SPAM!!??

@rharvey wrote:

This is advertising right in the subject field of your emails!! I have been unable to shut it off and Rogers Tech has been no help. I haven't been able to locate a Yahoo number to talk to a real person. This is such an invasion of privacy. 90% of the ads are for singles site or how to find a 'rich' woman. Total B.S., and carried out with no prior warning.

Please read my above posts. You CANNOT turn off the ads. You can only opt out of interest-based ads, but you will still get other ads. The only way to not see them is to add an Ad Blocker extension to your browser. Failing that, you use an email client like Outlook, Thunderbird, or Windows Live Mail.  Unfortunately, there is no effective Ad Blocker for Internet Explorer but if you use Chrome or Firefox, they are very effective!

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I had a surprise this morning when I opened my email and the very first line is a damned advertisement that I am unable to get rid of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is going too far, as you already have a full ad down the right side of the page!!!

If you are prepared to continue doing this, please advise, and I am prepared to move to another email service!!

I've put up with crap from Rogers for 20+ years, but this one really takes the cake!!!

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @WayneS1 

You can opt of the ads for your email by:

• Sign into your Rogers webmail and go to the Yahoo privacy policy.
  • Click Manage Settings Here in the Highlights column.
  • You can also opt out directly at info.yahoo.com/privacy/ca/yahoo/opt_out/targeting/details.html

Hope that helps!

@RogersPrasana 

Highlighted

@RogersPrasana wrote:

Hi @WayneS1 

You can opt of the ads for your email by:

• Sign into your Rogers webmail and go to the Yahoo privacy policy.
  • Click Manage Settings Here in the Highlights column.
  • You can also opt out directly at info.yahoo.com/privacy/ca/yahoo/opt_out/targeting/details.html

Hope that helps!

@RogersPrasana 

Sorry RogersPrasana, but you cannot opt out of the advertising; only the interest-based adcertising. Opting out of the interest-based advertising only means that Yahoo will no longer try and select the ads you might want to see (as if we want to see ads). Other ads will still show up. There is but one way to eliminate the ads, as I have suggested in my above posts and that is with an Ad Blocker!

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Thanks for clarifying @JohhnyRockets ! Smiley Happy

Highlighted

You are welcome RogersPrasana!

It is also further clarified here from Yahoo:

https://info.yahoo.com/privacy/ca/yahoo/opt-outfaq/

FAQ page, Item #17

Can I opt out of ads entirely?

No. Like most websites, Yahoo! is supported by advertising. The majority of the products and services we offer, such as web-based email with unlimited storage, photo sharing on Flickr, Yahoo! News and Finance, and many other services, are largely free of charge to you because we display advertising. Other websites also partner with Yahoo! to show ads on their sites to support what they offer.

So to reiterate - you need to add an Ad Blocker extension to your browser!

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Well, I did what you told me, infact I went directly to info.yahoo.com/privacy/ca/yahoo/opt_out/targeting/details.html and opted out,  I then went out of my email and home page, reloaded it and the ad was still there!!!  I checked the link, and I'm shown as opted out!!!

I then rebooted my computer, and when I opened my email, the ad was still there!!!!  

Now what would you propose???

Highlighted

@WayneS1 wrote:

Well, I did what you told me, infact I went directly to info.yahoo.com/privacy/ca/yahoo/opt_out/targeting/details.html and opted out,  I then went out of my email and home page, reloaded it and the ad was still there!!!  I checked the link, and I'm shown as opted out!!!

I then rebooted my computer, and when I opened my email, the ad was still there!!!!  

Now what would you propose???

Are you reading any of my posts WayneS1? The opt out does not work! Period! It can only be used to control interest based ads - by opting in or out. At this point, unless Yahoo decides to eliminate the banner ads from your Inbox, there are only 2 things you can do:

1. Use an Ad Blocker like Ad Blocker Plus in your browser

2. Use an email client like Outlook, Thunderbird, or Windows Live Mail

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When you say 'first line' do you mean in your actuall email section?
(Not above at the top or the side?)

I know with my wife's yahoo address you see those sponsored adds in the top of the email section, but I have yet to see them within my rogers email.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

The poster is talking about Rogers Yahoo mail.  As of today, there is a new sponsored ad link at the top of the email inbox.  It is extremely annoying and a real insult to people who already pay for Rogers internet service.  I won't be using Rogers email for long if that ad is still there next week.