How do I connect my VCR to Explorer 3290

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

How do I connect my VCR to Explorer 3290

I would love to be able to connect my VCR to my Rogers 3290 SD digital cable box. Before I got the SD box life was simple. One coaxial cable went from the Rogers wall socket and into my VCR. Then another cable took the signal from the VCR to the TV. However with the SD box both cables now go into the SD box, making the VCR is, for lack of a better word, useless.

My VCR is a Sony SLV-N50. Sure, its got some years behind it, but I do not want to scrap my VHS tape collection because I haven't upgraded to a PRV.I have 151 VHS tapes. 

On the VCR there are three female RCA jacks in this configuration -     O - red   O - white   O - yellow

O - red   O - white   O - yellow

On the SD box the back has nine female RCA jacks in this configuration    O -red  O - white  O - White

O - blue O - red    O - red

O - green O - black O - yellow

These plugs may indeed be functional, but I spent the better part of a weekend trying to transfer the audio/video from the VCR to the SD box with RCA cables with no luck. The diagrams Rogers has posted on its web site are of no use as they do not include a diagram of a VCR of its vintage ( I think its 12 years old). I can only think that splitters bo both coaxial cables might do the trick. However I'm rather concerned that updates from Rogers, shunted into the VCR via the splitter, would efffectively kill my VCR.

Anyone got any constructive ideas ? I cannot afford to get a PVR.

Thanks.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: How do I connect my VCR to Explorer 3290

When you add a Rogers digital box into the mix, you loose a lot of the capabilities that the vcr was known for previously, such as programmed recording, or recording 1 thing, while watching another.

With the Rogers box in place, you essentially turn your vcr into a viewing device only.  Since you mention you have a large vhs collection, I'll explain how to connect everything properly for playback.  If you want to record something, just ask, and we can post another how-to on that subject.

First of all, the Rogers box needs to get signal from the wallplate first.  This is due to the fact that the Rogers box needs to communicate directly via the cable outlet with the head end. Putting the cable to the vcr first will block that communication and somewhat limit the use of the rogers box.

Soooo.... Cable from wall to Cable in of 3290.  Cable OUT of 3290 to Input on back of VCR. Output on back of VCR to your tv.  You will need to have your television set to Chn 03, as well as your VCR.  You will change channels via the 3290 as normal, but when you put a vhs tape in, it will switch automatically to your vcr and start playing.  This is the simplist way to connect everything.  If you wanted to use the color wires (Red/White/Yellow) you would follow the chain of the boxes.

3290 OUTPUT goes to INPUT on back of vcr. OUTPUT on back of vcr goes to INPUT (#1, or #3, etc) on back of tv.  You would then have to set your tv to the correct input (#1, or #3 etc) to see the channel.  The only advantage this gives over the other way is you'll get a slightly better picture quality.

Hope this helps.

I Plan to Stick Around

Your solution worked for viewing a tape thats already recorded worked !. And for that I thank you. However, I forgot to mention something. If you want to record something that's available via the SD box such as NASA TV or Teletoon Retro, the solution doesn't work. Also if you simply want to watch some on the TV via the SD box you have to get up from your chair/couch and re-attach the coaxial cable you now have leading into your VCR and re-attach it to the SD box.

But you got me half way there, and for that I am greatly indebted to you. Now if recording is as easy - hoping, praying, crossing fingers, etc.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Recording not so much..

and there is still soemthing missing.. if you are having the issue still.

Easiest way... coax out of wall... into SD box INPUT.
SD Box OUTPUT coax.. to VCR input.... leave VCR on channel 3.
vcr output coax... to TV input coax... and leave on channel 3.

This, should allow you to watch anything via the rogers box.. and playback from tapes.. as long as you leave both on channel 3.

Now.. for the recording..

The way things are unfortunately, you cant record in the same fassion as before.. This is not just rogers digital boxes.. this is ANY digital box (this is why you dont see VCRs anymore).
Defaultly, a VCR tries to use its own tuner, to try and change to the station needed to record.  I cant do this anymore.. the SD box is what does the tuning.
So... while you can schedule a recording at a set TIME (say 8pm), you have to leave it to record on channel 3.. so it will record whatever channel the SD box is left on.   This is where the issue comes in.. you have to leave it on the channel you want it to record then... and you cant do two different times at two different channels.. unless you are there to change the channel inbetween.

Highlighted

Hey taustin,  I'm glad I could help.

However, I'm not sure what you mean when you say:

Also if you simply want to watch some on the TV via the SD box you have to get up from your chair/couch and re-attach the coaxial cable you now have leading into your VCR and re-attach it to the SD boxAlso if you simply want to watch some on the TV via the SD box you have to get up from your chair/couch and re-attach the coaxial cable you now have leading into your VCR and re-attach it to the SD box

If you connected everything in the fashion that both GDkitty and I explained, you should not need to change any wiring configurations to watch the digital box, or watch a vhs tape.  The only thing I can think of is that you've changed the channel on the VCR in an attempt to record a different channel.

This unfortunately will not work.  If you change the channel on the VCR while the VCR mode is selected (there is always a TV/VCR button on the remote or vcr itself - which switches between tv, and vcr) you will most likely get a blue screen with NO picture.  If you press the tv/vcr button, your digital box should return and you will have channels again, but you DON'T want to leave your vcr on a different channel as it will not operate properly.  Leave your vcr and television on Channel 03, you will always have a picture from your digital box, and once you press play, your tapes will play. As soon as you press stop, your tv will show your digital box (as long as box is turn on! Smiley Happy ).

To record, you must keep your vcr on channel 03, tv must also be on 03, and you put the digital box onto what ever channel you want to record. The difference now is that your digital box must be on, and you can only record what ever channel the box is tuned to.  If your going to do a programmed recording, you should ensure your digital box is turned on, and set to the channel you want to record (tv doesn't need to be on) and then set your vcr to record on channel 03 (all vcr functions are done with/on channel 03 from now on).

Let us know how things work out.  And if you like my replies, give me a thumbs up - I don't know what it means or does, but I'm hoping it lands me a pot of gold or something... Smiley Very Happy

I Plan to Stick Around

To Gdkitty

Interesting nickname. I can't help but think of a cat getting unfoot, or simply in the way somehow. Maybe that's why you chose that particular nickname. The solution you supplied for viewing a tape is essentially the same as the one BigJug supplied one day before. The only difference is the last final connection. You have a coax third cable (which I don't have - I only have two connections) going somewhere, and doing something (sorry about the lack of specifics here)and it's got me royally puzzled. When I read what you wrote yesterday I wanted to try it, but that final step seemed either redundant, or puzzling.

To BigJug

It would seem that if I am to record when I'm aleep I have to be willing to leave the SD box turned on, and that is something I'm unwilling to do. The SD box gets outrageously hot as is, and I have no wish to start a fire. I've heard the occasional crackle come out the wee beastie and to put it in plain English the little stinker has me spooked !

I re-read what you quoted from me " Also if you simply want to watch some on the TV via the SD box you have to get up from your chair/couch and re-attach the coaxial cable you now have leading into your VCR and re-attach it to the SD boxAlso if you simply want to watch some on the TV via the SD box you have to get up from your chair/couch and re-attach the coaxial cable you now have leading into your VCR and re-attach it to the SD box" and I should have phrased it differently. What I meant to say is that once you decide which movie you're going to watch you have to take a cable from the SD box and attach to your VCR. Two hours later, when the films over, you got to get up from your chair /couch and put the coax cable back on the SD box. It was just wishful thinking that I could get a splitter and two very short coax cables. The cable out cable would screw onto the splitter, one very short coax cable would screw onto cable out port on the SD box, with the other coax cable would be attached to the VCR. Just thinking out loud of a way to eliminate disconnecting, connecting, disconnecting, and re-connecting the steps you gave me to view a tape thats already got recorded info on it. I think I may get a bit brave and try that idea out. If it works out I'll let you  know.

Right now my poormans theatre is as follows - a Sony SLV N50 VCR with a Phillips DVD player on top of that. I've got slabs of wood (1/4 in deep) with SD box on top of the DVD player (they provide ventelation for the SD box). My tv is not of those enormous flat screens. It's a old 20" Ascent I bought from a very defunct Zellers about 13 years ago. It may not be glamerous, but it works.

Talk to you soon

Tom Austin (taustin)

Hey taustin,

first of all:

@taustin wrote:

It would seem that if I am to record when I'm aleep I have to be willing to leave the SD box turned on, and that is something I'm unwilling to do. The SD box gets outrageously hot as is, and I have no wish to start a fire. I've heard the occasional crackle come out the wee beastie and to put it in plain English the little stinker has me spooked !

LOL!!  That last line there made me laugh.... and yes you are correct, in order to set a timed recording, the box needs turn on, and set on the channel you wish to record.  In the setup I gave you above, you would be able to record any channel that comes through the digital box, in digital quality.  If you change the configuration around, you will end up using more cable lines, and you will only be able to record chans 01-65'ish.. give-er-take some channels here and there... (and many more going bye-bye throughout the coming months) and you will be recording in analogue quality.

This is a more complicated set up, but it can be done.  You would be treating both the digital box and the vcr as independant viewing devices (with the vcr also having recording capabilities).  Therefore you would need to connect both devices to your tv in seperate inputs, and understand how to switch between the different inputs to access each device (exactly the way you would switch to access your dvd player right now - dvd player would be the third viewing device here, also connected to a seperate input on your tv).  Now this is where you may have a problem, chances are your 20 inch Ascent - as nice a tv as it is - won't have enough inputs to support your cable box/vcr/dvd. 

Again I'm going over everything in my head, and I still see no reason why you have to get up and physically change or remove any of the coax lines once this is set up, UNLESS you are trying to do programmed recording?  There should be an IN and OUT on the back of the cable box, and on the back of the VCR.  The tv should only have an IN (we're talking coax inputs, not coloured jacks)

Main cable goes to IN on cbl box, OUT of cbl box to IN on vcr, OUT of vcr to IN back of tv - if your doing all of this, and have your tv and vcr on chan 03, you should not need to change anything to watch a movie, just put it in, and press play. When done, remove tape, and shut off vcr, cable box viewing will return.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Think of them in series, one attached to the next.

Out wall, in sd box
Out sd, in VCR
Out VCR in TV.

Do this all with the coax tv cable. May require a 3rd piece.

I Plan to Stick Around

Oy....I think my remote hates me. It was behaving perfectly - that should read Rogers style - when I got the thing home. But since that whopper of a thunder storm it's been behaving....how shall I put this...just plain flakey. I turn on the SD box via the remote, and the crazy thing turns on, then it switches itself  to a low 700 channel, then switches to 999, and finally settles on 1 - all without the aid of me !. If it ever goes to an adult channel (Playboy, Hustler, etc) my wife will blow her stack, and have my guts for garters.

Considering all the questions and complaints about Rogers I can only assume Rogers was put upon this Earth to try us. I'm beginning to wonder if I should get all Rogers creations in my house exorcised. I'm also wondering if the batteries that came little piece of @#$#*& need to be changed. They are of a brand I've never heard of.

I have an uneasy feeling any unattended recording is out of the question until I can figure out what the heck is happening.Smiley Sad

On the upside I watched a tape on my VCR thanks to Gdkitty, and BigJugSmiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

To Gdkitty - OK, got it much clear now " May require a 3rd piece." I'm going to try recording something and see what happens.

-Tom....I'm not a Rogers employee, and thank god for that ! 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Even though with the storm it may have restarted.. reboot the box, just to be sure.  Unplug it, wait 10 seconds, then plug back in.

Often many remote issues can be fixed by changing the batteries, so worth a shot as well 🙂