cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrible DL speeds (Express)--St. Clair & Bathurst in Toronto

you
I Plan to Stick Around

For almost a week, I have been getting terrible DL speeds from about 5 pm to about 7 am. Averaging 2.5 down; upload speed isn't affected. I've checked a couple of times during non-peak hours (5 am and 3 pm and my speeds were fine then). I've called tech support every day. They opened a ticket. After 3 days, they finally admitted it was a widespread occurrence and that they were trying to fix it. I know of at least 10 other people affected (something to do with a new Dupont headend that's been overloaded?).

Today, they say the ticket has been closed because it has been fixed. It hasn't. My internet connection is basically unusable. Now they want to send a tech to my place; I won't have time for that for at least a week. I finally got fed up and had to hang up. I spoke to 6 different techs, none seemed to know what's going on. I know a lot of people have been calling in, so I find that hard to believe. My next call will be to a CSM. This is beyond unacceptable.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any Rogers people here who can shed some light?

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Horrible DL speeds (Express)--St. Clair & Bathurst in Toronto

SohalTang
I've Been Here Awhile

I am having the same problems! I'm in guelph and last few days its been getting worse and worse. I had to shut off wifi on my iphone cuz 3g was way faster. My wife is having trouble getting emails or connecting to her vpn. Playing Call of duty is reminding me of the good ole dial up days. i have all of rogers services and we are paying over 500 a month . My speed at 1:45am on Saturday morning is 1246kbps down and 66kbps up. There is no p2p running right now. We use our internet for business and personal use. I think if this is not resolved soon, i'll be cancelling all services with rogers. We pay a premium for reliability and quality, but those qualities are no longer present. 

View solution in original post

45 REPLIES 45

RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi you!

Thanks for joining our community, and for your patience.

Please send your ticket number, full name and phone number where you can be reached to forumsupport@rci.rogers.com with the subject line TECH SUPPORT.

Thanks

mrsummers
I've Been Around

Re: I have the same problem as you. Terrible internet speed at Marlee & Eglinton for over a week.  I have  tried phone and chat technicians and noone tells me what's wrong with the speed. I got a ticket and they told me they would get back to me in about 48 hours (that was last week).  I called after the 48 hours and the technician told me this things usually take a longer time. WTF! It's been over a week now and not even a call from Rogers. I'm starting to think switching over from Bell to Rogers was a bad mistake.

Hi you and mrsummers,

Are you still having these same issues? If so, please send me a PM with any troubleshooting results you have, ie. ping, traceroute results, and ticket numbers for the previous contacts you've had with Rogers and we can look into this further.

If you need information on where to find that information, please let us know.

RR

SohalTang
I've Been Here Awhile

I am having the same problems! I'm in guelph and last few days its been getting worse and worse. I had to shut off wifi on my iphone cuz 3g was way faster. My wife is having trouble getting emails or connecting to her vpn. Playing Call of duty is reminding me of the good ole dial up days. i have all of rogers services and we are paying over 500 a month . My speed at 1:45am on Saturday morning is 1246kbps down and 66kbps up. There is no p2p running right now. We use our internet for business and personal use. I think if this is not resolved soon, i'll be cancelling all services with rogers. We pay a premium for reliability and quality, but those qualities are no longer present. 

Im just west of you, between Dufferin and Oakwood. My internet has been the slowest by far. Im using Express and im getting speeds from 1-20kb/s, this is worse than Ultra-lite i had before. It's ridiculous. It's been almost a month for me. It all happened the beginning of the month. Im so fed up. I called many times, and they all said somethings wrong, but wont fix it. Not only is this a waste of my time, but also money. 

There is an open ticket for the issue you describe. It was hard to narrow down, but they are investigating at present. No ETA on resolution yet.

You're most likely on Dupont HUB, which explains the terrible service you're getting.

Visit DSL Reports for more info.
Rogers Ignite 100

Zotz
I Plan to Stick Around

Like the OP, I'm also an Express customer in the St. Clair/Bathurst area of Toronto, and can verify the issue remains after 3+ weeks.  The download speeds during evenings + weekends are generally 200 - 600 kbps which makes doing anything online other than email or basic browsing aggravating.  Almost as frustrating is the tech support cycle of calling in, doing the tests, opening a ticket, waiting 24-48 hours for the automated 'problem resolved' message, and then starting over because nothing has in fact been resolved. (and follow-ups usually indicate that the "problem resolved" ticket closing is because of "not enough info"???)

I appreciate that moderators are asking for PM'd details, however it's remarkable that the customers posts at places like DSLreports Rogers forum provide the only info on the problem.  I request that anyone from Rogers who does not have enough information start by reading http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24923795-Express-Extremely-Slow-D-L-Speeds-in-Toronto .

you
I Plan to Stick Around

I'd like to give you my ticket number, but it was closed without resolution. I know there is a greater issue at hand here, it just would be nice if when I call someone on the other end would acknowledge the issue. One person did, a week and half ago but not since. Two weeks with substandard service is beyond acceptable. And there are countless people with the issue. If it's being worked on, fair enough, just be straight with us.

RogersAndrew
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Unfortunately without proper details I won't be able to provide you with account specific information. For appropriate troubleshooting assistance, please contact our technical support department via 1-888-764-3771 or via live chat at http://echat.rogers.com. Once contacted, they'll be able to run tests and if necessary open a ticket to escalate to our network engineering team.

Orange
I Plan to Stick Around

I have had the same problem, with lower than 1mbps downloading during evening hours, for over a week now.  I am also in the Dupont PHUB disaster zone.  Getting a tech rep on the phone who will acknowledge, or even is aware of, the problem is excruciatingly difficult.  I have escalated this issue and my over 1-month-long cable disruption (due to the same PHUB, as well as terribly unreliable equipment (we're on our 4th digital box), to a manager.  At first I was hopeful, as the manager seemed genuinely concerned, but she has now promised to call me twice to follow up on service visits, but both times has failed to follow through.  Why is it so impossible for customers to get help or honesty from Rogers??

Orange
I Plan to Stick Around

I just did a speed test, and even at 1AM, my download speed is only 1.31Mb/s.  So it would take 4 minutes to download a 35MB video clip, and 1 hour 22 min. to download an 800MB movie.  This is ridiculous!

smatteo
I've Been Around

I am so sick of Rogers been 3 weeks and seems like they dont know what the hell is going on. why do they close tickets when the issue hasnt been resolved. they better hurry up or i will change to bell even though i dont want to. My download speeds are horrendous.
[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/1010862107.png[/IMG][/URL]

Why doesnt anyone give customer service any updates about the problem. i am seriously pissed  about this and if i have to i will call them every day. This is a black mark on rogers in my book.

Zotz
I Plan to Stick Around

Account specific troubleshooting won't help with this widespread issue.   What people want is a working and usable internet service, and until that can be provided, we want updated information as to whether this is even being worked on by your engineers.  Why is that so much to ask? 

A number of affected customers have spent the last month individually doing your tests, getting an escalation, which is subsequently closed with an unacceptable "not enough info" or "problem resolved" message.

Then we're asked to do the same tests over again.  I was just on the phone with tech support.  I made it clear that I was not calling to troubleshoot, but to reopen the tickets that I've already spent time on.  After reading through the notes, and my own explanation as to the issue being a month-long ongoing area problem, the tech still felt the need to ask about whether I was using a router.  As if that would not have been considered already!  And we all know that had I said there was a router, the ticket would have been closed with the reason "customer router is faulty" (this has happened to others!).  The current tech support protocol is infuriating and useless.  Hours are wasted on redundant call centre and home visits that will not provide any solution or useful information. 

Could someone from Rogers please just look into the issue, and then post here with some actual information?

Here's some keywords, if that can be used to find any record of this month-old (!!!) issue:

"Toronto" "Dupont hub" "Congestion"  "Traffic Management"  "Download utilization percentage" "0.5 mbps on Express" "irate customers". 

RogersAndrew
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi Zotz,

We don't have any detailed information to provide you with but rest assured that this is a known issue that is currently being investigated by our engineering team. They hope to determine the issue as soon as possible and remedy the problem. We appreciate your patience in the matter and hope that you continue to bear with us while a resolution is found.

I've been experiencing this for over almost a month as well.

I'm downtown, so not sure if i'm in the "problem area", i'll have to investigate.

My XBOX keeps disconnecting on simple small updates, downloads are way too slow,

uploads are painful.

Sometimes pages take almost 10 seconds or longer to load !

I have been the following threads both here and at dslreports, 

and have been hoping for a resolution, but to no avail,

so i'll be calling in tomorrow to express my EXTREME dissatisfaction,

and ask what is being done to compensate customers.

I'll report back once i've been through to Customer Service, and see what they say.

Cheers

Orange
I Plan to Stick Around

RogersAndrew:

Will Rogers be issuing any sort of apology and refund to affected customers?  The impact on services (not just internet; our cable tv has been plagued with problem after problem because of the move to Dupont PHUB) has been severe, and has been ongoing for over a month now.  Rogers has not communicated with customers in the affected zone, calling in to Tech Support has been a painful and largely useless endeavour, and most of us have had to find out what is causing the problems from other forums on the internet.  This is really unacceptable, and Rogers now has a large group of very very angry customers!  Making us call in and basically have to beg for a discount on our services to make up for the inconvenience and frustration is not fair.  Bills should be adjusted automatically at this point if Rogers cares anything at all about retaining customers.

Mirel
I've Been Here Awhile

Same problem here, I have called Rogers 5 times so far and every single time they want me to troubleshoot the issue at my end. I will switch to TekSavvy even if they are using the same infrastructure. At least I will get cable with 200GB/month or an unlimited plan for less money then I currently pay to Rogers. And there are no contracts!

http://teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp

Mirel
I've Been Here Awhile
the master ticket from Rogers for this issue is: ICT0000000088599

Zotz
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks Mirel, that should prove helpful when calling in.

And thanks for the acknowledgement, RogersAndrew.  Please keep us updated.

Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!

Topic Stats