cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrible DL speeds (Express)--St. Clair & Bathurst in Toronto

you
I Plan to Stick Around

For almost a week, I have been getting terrible DL speeds from about 5 pm to about 7 am. Averaging 2.5 down; upload speed isn't affected. I've checked a couple of times during non-peak hours (5 am and 3 pm and my speeds were fine then). I've called tech support every day. They opened a ticket. After 3 days, they finally admitted it was a widespread occurrence and that they were trying to fix it. I know of at least 10 other people affected (something to do with a new Dupont headend that's been overloaded?).

Today, they say the ticket has been closed because it has been fixed. It hasn't. My internet connection is basically unusable. Now they want to send a tech to my place; I won't have time for that for at least a week. I finally got fed up and had to hang up. I spoke to 6 different techs, none seemed to know what's going on. I know a lot of people have been calling in, so I find that hard to believe. My next call will be to a CSM. This is beyond unacceptable.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any Rogers people here who can shed some light?

***edited labels***

45 REPLIES 45

Re: Horrible DL speeds (Express)--St. Clair & Bathurst in Toronto

RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

@Zotz

RogersAndrew will be sure to keep you updated.

Thanks for your patience everyone!

Zotz
I Plan to Stick Around

For what it's worth, I experienced this identical problem last spring (everything from the daily pattern of download speeds, to efforts/outcomes with tech support)  It lasted a month then as well, and when the fix was finally found, my speeds immediately returned to exactly 10.0 mbps around the clock for months (until this current problem).

I mention this because if there is a way to check what maintenance was done to correct the issue, a solution may be documented.  Can this info be found through my previous tickets from May, or engineer logs from that time?  This was before the customer move to Dupont, so I assume it was the Scarlett Rd./Bloor phub.

Zotz
I Plan to Stick Around

well, i called to get 1 month credit (since the problem is entering its second month) and learned that:

- the ticket reopened yesterday has already been closed

- the master ticket number results in being put on hold for several minutes, then being transferred to tech support who doesn't recognize the issue and wants to start all over with the same basic tests

- after much fussing about how i didn't call to troubleshoot, but for a credit from customer service because the issue is in its second month, i was offered 2 weeks credit.  I complained more and he relented for a month credit, but WOW this experience is frustrating.

you
I Plan to Stick Around
Any updates? It's been almost a month. I know people are seeing improvements, but I haven't. This is ridiculous.

Zotz
I Plan to Stick Around

Same here, no improvements whatsoever, can't use high-speed internet effectively for anything beyond email and google.  What a joke.

lactose
I've Been Around

Same here - been over a month and I am seeing no improvement.  Last time I was on the phone I said that the next time I called would be to cancel all my services.  They asked me to hold (again) and I said that they can call me back as I had already been on the phone numerous times and was tired of dealing with it.

I am not holding my breath for a call back.

Orange
I Plan to Stick Around

Yep, over 6 weeks now, no communication from Rogers about the issue, no resolution date... just did a speed test and got: 62Mb/s download, which is now typical for the evening hours.  Pathetic.  Anyone from Rogers going to comment?

Orange
I Plan to Stick Around
oops, that should be 0.62Mb/s...
62Mb/s, wouldn't that be nice 😉

JohnnyK
I Plan to Stick Around

Anyone get a solution yet? Just got off the phone (again). No solution. Said the ticket was entered as "No service" which was 'resolved'.. Sigh. They have to be doing this on purpose. No company can be this incompetent.

I said I don't have my hopes of them phoning me back or finding a solution after this amount of time, and the tech support said he almost agrees. He also said he couldn't really find any other tickets for the same problem.

I'm at the corner of Bathurst and St. Clair.

Is there any problem with posting the ticket numbers so we can use them as reference?

And if a rogers employee would level with us, is this actually being looked at? I can't imagine a problem taking over a month to correct. Hell, admit there is an issue, even!

JohnnyK
I Plan to Stick Around
For what it's worth. Speeds average about 0.3mbps. No matter the time.

Thank you all for your feedback regarding this issue. We are currently still investigating this issue and all information that you can provide to help determine the root cause of this issue is greatly appreciated.

We have not received any new information regarding this issue as of yet, but I will post as soon as more information is received.

Thanks for your patience.

Zotz
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for checking in RogersReggie, but in terms of information for us to provide, how not sure how much more info we have to give, aside from a month's worth of consistent geographical and symptomatic info (ie, Dupont phub, .2 - .6 mbps on express during congested periods).

I can share this from the long dslreports.com thread, though ideally this info would have been spread among Rogers techs/customer service rather than have it given to you by a customer...

This was originally posted by Teksavvy reps and then shared in the Rogers thread here: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24923795-Express-Extremely-Slow-D-L-Speeds-in-Toronto~start=160

"Gang, here is the official word from Rogers on the situation with Dupont POI;

"We have turned up 4 new CMTS in Dupont with plans to decongest the pHub. I can assure you significant investment has been made to relieve issues experienced by both Teksavvy and Rogers customers."

There's no ETA yet but this does explain the lengthy delay in getting it resolved.

We'll update as we hear more. "

Orange
I Plan to Stick Around

RogersReggie, thank you for posting.  What I find absolutely ridiculous about the situation is that when we call in to tech support, most of the reps plead complete ignorance of the issue!  How can this be possible, when Rogers has a large group of customers calling in about this issue in a specified geographical area for over a month??  If there are reps who really do not know about the issue, should they not be educated?  I had to find out about what was happening with the Dupont PHUB from a supervisor with LinkOn, who stated that he has trouble getting info from Rogers as well.  Some honesty from Rogers would go a long way...

JohnnyK
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, why are they denying everything. He claimed there were no other call ins/tickets regarding this issue. Honestly I'm not sure if it ever will be fixed, but if I just cancel my rogers account, how can I be sure I'll be compensated (I'm definitely not giving them 30 days notice if I do!).

I really don't understand what the hold up is though.

upstusr
I've Been Around

For rogersreggie and rogerserin..... at this point to say that this problem is "investigated" and asking us to "submit problem info" is insulting and utter slap in the face. I am at Eglinton and Allen Rd. and been living with this since the end of September. Don't even know how many calls I made and same story every time. Technician has no clue what I am talking about, insists on checking my line and fix the problem by him/herself. Tickets opened than closed without any info. I managed to talk them into having senior "someone" call me this Monday....... never happened.

The fact that Rogers doesn't provide any info about this what angers me the most. Little info that I gather comes from DSL Reports and it's mainly Teksavvy.

IMHO I think they are refusing to acknowledge this as legitimate problem.

JohnnyK
I Plan to Stick Around

Any updates before I phone again tomorrow?

JohnnyK
I Plan to Stick Around

Does anyone have any ticket numbers I can bring up on the phone tomorrow?

Zotz
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm happy to finally report an improvement this evening.  I tested at 8pm and got 8mbps, and just did again and still am.  I haven't gotten higher than 700 kbps since this began, so i'm hopeful that it's almost fixed.  

Last time this happened (May), I was returned to 10.0 mbps exactly for months, so that's what i'll call fixed!  

Anyone else seeing better results tonight?

you
I Plan to Stick Around

Nope, not even remotely better. If anything, worse. Called again. The guy said no new news. At least my case is still open this time. If it's not fixed by week's end, I don't know what I'll do. I see a lot of people are reporting improvements. Why not me? And why still no announcement, acknowledgement of the problem?

Zotz
I Plan to Stick Around

i spoke too soon, it's dropped to 3mbps now. 

JohnnyK
I Plan to Stick Around

8 mpbs at the moment, but I won't get my hopes up as you said yours just dropped down.

More likely some random event that is causing that, as I'm sure they haven't attempted to fix anything yet. We'll see tomorrow.

Topic Stats