Home Theater not Working

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Home Theater not Working

Hello everyone, I just got a HD NextBox 2.0 today, and everything works fine but when I tried to configure it to my Home Theater system it doesn't seem to work. On my Sony TV, I would go into the menu and set it to "audio system" but it would always revert back to the TV Speakers saying "Audio System unavailable, check if properly connected etc. etc. etc." I have everything plugged in correctly but am not sure what is wrong, is there a certain place I have to plug in the TV and/or box? Please reply, thanks.

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Home Theater not Working

We would need ALOT more info.

How exactly everything is wired.

I am assuming, you have the rogers box into the home theature, then from there into the TV?
Via what sort of cable into the home theatre, and what type out?

There could be some setup required on the home theatre as well to let it know what output, etc to use.

I'm Here A Lot

Okay, my HDMI port is plugged from the cable box to the TV. The Audio (White &Red) Cable (Supplied) is connected into my cable box and the other end is connected to the SAT/CABLE option on my Home Theater System. I have tried also plugging it into the TV option too but to no luck. Now that the Cable Box is connected to the Home Theater System, is there another plug I need to plug into the TV  from the Home Theater System?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That may be the issue.

Because you are using hdmi out to the tv, the hdmi carries audio, it may turn off the regular stereo audio out that you are using.

If your surround sound supports the hdmi in and out of it, that would be easiest.

If it does not, usually the optical out will be active when the hdmi is being used. This would require a optical cable, and that your surround supports it.

Last choice, would be to not use hdmi to the tv, but component video (the 3 color video output with rca cables).
This would have same quality as hdmi, but then there will be no audio directly to tv and have to solely use the surround sound for audio.

I'm Here A Lot

I used the Component Cables and that worked fine. Now for the audio should I use the Red and White cabled supplied? If so, do I connect the two using the connector included and put it into "Audio Out" or should I use the other port, and plug it into the home theater system.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you are using those cables, then yes, you would want them from the audio out, to the audio in on the surround sound.

With those cables though, you will only ever get stereo sound.. so any surround sound you get, will only ever be emulated stereo to the back speakers.

If you want proper say 5.1 dobly, etc.. you would need to run an optical cable from the rogers box to an optical in on the surround sound.