Holy cow - Rogers wants to scan my email?!?! Where in TOS?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Holy cow - Rogers wants to scan my email?!?! Where in TOS?

Hello,

Today I tried to sign in to my Rogers email account for the first time in months (that is, by browser - usually I access it via an email client).  I was greeted with a splash screen:

"Today's the day

Switch to the new Rogers Yahoo Mail...."

And below that in smaller, grey print:

"To deliver product features, abuse protection and, if applicable, relevant advertising, Rogers Yahoo's automated systems scan and analyze all email,..."

First - seriously?!?!  Will the new Rogers Yahoo email system scan the content of what I consider my private email correspondence if I accept the switch? 

Second - I checked the links to terms of service, etc., and I can't find anywhere that it's explicitly stated that they'll do this.  Where is it?

Thanks.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Holy cow - Rogers wants to scan my email?!?! Where in TOS?

While its a PAID email, that you get with your rogers... the WEB interface.. is through Yahoo, which is a 'free' extra, per say.

MY understanding, is that this scanning, only really effect the yahoo based website family.

Weither the scanning goes on if you use the webmial or not.. it MIGHT.. not sure.  But, only targets adds that would be displayed then on the yahoo webmail, or yahoo news, etc.

If you are using a 3rd party client like outlook, a phone, etc.. you would never see these adds, etc.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately, these sorts of things are not new..

Google started probably a year or so back, doing the exact same thing.

The information that is scanned.. is NOT collected per say, its not STORED, just finds keywords.. then changes adds accordingly that are displayed. None of the information actually goes to Yahoo themselves nor to any of the advertisers.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi - and thanks for the reply.

So it is true.  OK.

But, what ads?  This is email with my paid Rogers subscription - not free webmail - and read/sent with an email client like Outlook (the PC version, not the web version).  I don't get any ads - just my emails.  Or are they using the info to select ads to serve later when I surf?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While its a PAID email, that you get with your rogers... the WEB interface.. is through Yahoo, which is a 'free' extra, per say.

MY understanding, is that this scanning, only really effect the yahoo based website family.

Weither the scanning goes on if you use the webmial or not.. it MIGHT.. not sure.  But, only targets adds that would be displayed then on the yahoo webmail, or yahoo news, etc.

If you are using a 3rd party client like outlook, a phone, etc.. you would never see these adds, etc.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty I think you are too optimistic sir; I know for a fact that work has been done by Yahoo/Gmail/other teams to enable the context interpretation technology for POP clients; they just find ways to incorporate ads into the body of emails so users get exposure anyways; either that practice gets a green light or not is another question, but yeah, the big brother is watching us
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

So - I put a letter in the mail, and the post office opens my letter and reads it, then they charge advertisers to put flyers in my mailbox based on what they've read in my letter and guess I'm most likely to buy.....

"Dear client, we saw in your last letter to your aunt that you went fishing with your brother last weekend, so we threw in a few flyers about fishing gear."

.....and everyone's supposed to be cool with this like it's perfectly normal?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Wait a minute - as incredible as I might find it - if I agree to it then clearly they'd be authorized to do this to emails I send.

But what about incoming mail that passes thorugh their servers?  Are they scanning other people's mail that is sent to me?  Are my friends and family and business contacts going to have their emails scanned as well - without their knowledge or permission?  Am I going to be responsible for breaches of other people's privacy if I don't warn every person who might ever possibly email me that anything they write may be scanned?  And how do I, in advance, let people I don't even know are sending me emails know about it?  I mean, if you have a small business with a contact email on it - do you now have to post a warning right on your website that anything they write to you will be scanned by Rogers?  How good for business will that be?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am not saying it RIGHT by any means.. just stating, how it is.

Again, from my understanding.. YES, any email, that comes in, will be scanned.
But it comes down to what that scanning is/does.

No physical person.. ever sees what the content then is.  it just scans for keywords. 

Let say it picks up "toys, video games, buy" from one sent from my wife to me about something for my son.
It would then go, ok, a potential catagory for them would be reatilers like toyrus, amazon, etc.
That would be about all that is then 'saved' as a preference... likely not even the keywords found.

The retailers.. other than the extra 'add hits' dont see any of the information, as its the front end, which puts the apropriate adds up.

Again, not saying this is right or wrong.. its just now people are starting to realize these things.

Your email, has been scanned, for YEARS.   Junk/spam mail.  This works very much on the same principal.  Scans the incomming body of the email, for specific keywords and the like... finding the right stuff, it then goes and puts it in your spam.  Most spam engines are smart too, that over time, they 'learn' and pick up on repeat things, etc.. so are obviously storing some from records on what was scanned.

Really, the only way to 100% be sure of privacy, is to run your OWN email server 😞  (and even then.. nothing to say about intercepting emails, keylogers, etc)

(which is what i am in charge of at work... which is sometimes alot easier said than done :P)

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Smartswine wrote:
@Gdkitty I think you are too optimistic sir; I know for a fact that work has been done by Yahoo/Gmail/other teams to enable the context interpretation technology for POP clients; they just find ways to incorporate ads into the body of emails so users get exposure anyways; either that practice gets a green light or not is another question, but yeah, the big brother is watching us

Yes, i do know that that technology EXISTS.. just at least at this time.. they are not imlimenting it.

Probably due, to the fact that, then that is actualy MODIFIYING the email, vs currently its only scanning it, etc.

As i said in the previous post..  scanning emails is old news.. jsut being used for a different method now.
People would be amazed.. and dont realize.. how even visiting ONE webpage, the amount of info that can be gathered just by one simple HTTP reqest can get 😞
(EG:  by visiting ANY page, it can make a HTTP request and get your current IP, what browser your using, your OS your running, the resolution you are on, your local time/date, etc)

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

supposedly it’s all regulated by the industry commission, so the info cannot be used to harm you… but anyways this has nothing to do with Rogers