Hmm... Maybe this isn't such a good idea.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grrrr
I've Been Around

Hmm... Maybe this isn't such a good idea.

Okay, so I've had my 8300 for about five years and it's been running very well until recently.  I think the box has had a few random reboots, lately.  Maybe four or five random boots in a month and I'm thinking that the new Nextbox 3.0 has just come out  I willl order this "new and improved" 3.0 PVR and I'll clone and swap out the buggy drive in the ol' 8300 and let my dad enjoy having a PVR on his TV.  

I was looking forward to trying all of these new features on the Nextbox 3.0, and record more than two shows at a time. ( I certainly won't need all 8 tuners, but 3 or 4 will be nice.) but after reading all of these horror stories I may change my plans.  I'm not sure if it's worth all of the headaches. I have mobility issues and troubleshooting boxes and connections might prove to be difficult.

***Edited labels***

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Hmm... Maybe this isn't such a good idea.

There have been some reported bugs. But all the boxes, people have had different random bugs with all the boxes. (I had 5 8300s in 4 years 😛 )

There are many users who have also had zero issues as well, maybe one or two random reboots.

One option, would be to get the 3 and rent it for a month, and see if you have issues. Can always then return if there is, or then buy, etc.

Lamzyc
I Plan to Stick Around

Take the plunge. The 3.0, for all its warts, is the best thing Rogers has ever offered. 

Hogwash
I'm a Senior Contributor

At $500 a pop it better be. For peeps that barely watch TV (those with an ACTUAL life) IMHO it's a BIG waste of cash. Could just be me but Rogers NEEDS to have a budget option for $100 or less so REGULAR folks with LIMITED viewing habits don't have to mortgage their house to pay Rogers. I won't go into RENTAL fees.....................

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Your not going to see a PVR in the $100 price range.. just component costs, etc alone.

The SD boxes used to be purchasable for $100 when you were able to buy them (seems can only rent now).

They likely could release an HD box.. no whole home capabilities, etc.. bare bones HD, i would think for the $100-130 range.

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Hogwash wrote:

At $500 a pop it better be. For peeps that barely watch TV (those with an ACTUAL life) IMHO it's a BIG waste of cash. Could just be me but Rogers NEEDS to have a budget option for $100 or less so REGULAR folks with LIMITED viewing habits don't have to mortgage their house to pay Rogers. I won't go into RENTAL fees.....................

They do have a low budget option.......the DTA50.  Its free.

thomask
I Plan to Stick Around

This is one reason alone Im pissed that Im loosing access to some of my favorite channes from the TV TUner card in my PC. The card was $120.. solved all my issues, well, for 5 years, and then they start cutting analog.. gonna run it til I cant record nothing.. gonna hate that day tho.

When you consider tho.

2TB drive, runs $150 dollars retail, or more.

TV Tuner runs $60-150 each depending.

Extra Ram, another $75-150 depending

Electricity to power computer 24/7  $50 per year (approximate depending on system)

Oh wait, we are around $500..

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Some people argue.. that the WMC (or XMBC, etc) are more powerful, etc in what/how they can record.. in some ways i agree.

But generally, you are recording then ONLY in Analog SD as well.

There are ways, with a HD box, into a HD input device, with a IR blaster to control the box, etc.. that YES you could match the PVR... (but you are still only doing ONE show at a time usually then).

Hogwash
I'm a Senior Contributor

@Gdkitty wrote:

(but you are still only doing ONE show at a time usually then).

Agreed and that's the point. There's many folks out there that could care less about PVR's. They just want a simple  economical way to watch a few hours TV at nite.

The new TV's all have digital tuners. If Rogers wants to encrypt their digital channels, fine. Just give us a $20 box that works in tandem with the tuner built into our Brand new LED TV.  Just a simple decoder/decrypter installed inline.

Everybody knows how sloooow a DTA50 or whatever is. We bought a new TV and we want to use the highend DIGITAL tuner it already has. No channel 3 or 4 nonsense.

There is absolutely no need to add a Rogers tuner/PVR/DTA50 whatsoever. Just ANOTHER cash grab period..............

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"
thomask
I Plan to Stick Around

Thats the thing.  I have a dual screen setup, so I can watch TV from previous day(s) on it while I work away at what I need to work away at.  This saves the BIG CRT TV from wasting electricity.  It also keeps expenses down.  why buy a wide screen TV when I can use my 19 inch auxilliary monitor and do the same.

I'd even be willing to buy a TV Tuner card from Rogers, if thats what it took.  Unfortunately the market wouldnt be big enough for them.

**Edited for content**