Hitron USB port?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hitron USB port?

Hey, I was wondering why the USB port on he side of the Hitron CGN2 doesn't work?

It's for file sharing if you plug a usb in there right?

When I called Rogers, they said that it was just for plugging a printer in there and that it is disabled and can't be re-enabled, but that didn't seem right according to the manual and what I've heard from others. 

So, what is the port really for, and how can I get Rogers to activate it?  Smiley Indifferent

***edited labels***

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Hitron USB port?

It could mean that Rogers has disabled it which is no surprise to me!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers on most of their gateways, uses a modified version of the firmware from the manufacturer.

Unfortunately, in this, they have removed that functionality from it 😞 (as compared to a stock mfg firmware)

There really would be no way to 'activate' it, since its not part of that firmware build, by us or even the people on the phone.

So really right now.. its useless 😞

Only thing its good for, is its a powered port.. so you could use it to charge something..

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

But rogers can access the modem as an administrator right?

From the web interface you can't access the advanced wireless settings, but when I called them and asked them to change the advanced settings to my liking, they were glad to do so.

On the customer end, certain settings are blocked, but Rogers can log into it presumably with rogcesadmin, since that is a username for this router other than cusadmin, and they can access all the settings we can't.

I'm not too sure if the firmware has been stripped down, or Rogers is just being Rogers for selling us over priced junk, but the usb port should be enabled 😕
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

And also, why doesn't rogers just give us administration access to the modem? Why are they limiting the firmware to us, even after we've paid so much for it? If it's the firmware that's simplified, why is that they can access all of the settings gs as it would be on a regular CGN2, while we can't?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Again, i dont have this one.. but from findings from other users from asking.. at least that is the answer they have got.  That its not enabled under the rogers firmware.

That is one thing that is odd.. that regardless of some of the MISSING stuff in it (i beleive its missing the parental controls as well), that the advanced settings are blocked out... at MIN we should have access to those things, changing the more advanced stuff like the channel, etc under the advanced wireless settings.

I am using the SMC N gateway, which is fairly older comparatively.. but i am reluctant to drop it, JUST for that reason.  It has the full controls for everything, including parental controls, enabled.
I have the rogers home security system, and they are insistant that its used on THEIR wireless, not through your own router, so i am running both.  I am trying to fight to get them to swich it to mine.. then at that point, can iliminate the gateway alltogether, and just use my own router 100%.  Currently, my router is only acting as an access point, all the household wireless, other than the security system, goes through it, and the routing/dhcp is still handled by the SMC.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

We can only speculate why Rogers does what it does.  Rogers sells or rents a number of devices/modems/gateways on which Rogers-specific firmware is supplied.  Rogers does this in both the cable internet and the cellular internet space.

There are a number of possible reasons for this:

1. the supplied firmware embeds Rogers-specific parameters necessary for connection to the Rogers network on which the device is used;

2. the supplied firmware is equipped with (only the) functionality Rogers deems required and/or supportable on its network.

3. Rogers is in this way exercising control over, and limiting its support exposure.  When Rogers eliminates functions and user options in its version of the device firmware, it also does not need to train its support staff on them, nor does Rogers need to expend time, effort and money fielding support calls on the unavailable functionality.

4. Etc., etc.

Given that we in Canada pay some of the highest Internet access costs in the world, it is not very gratifying that we also do not get capabilities and functionality which were originally in the firmware, but were purposely removed by, in this case, Rogers.

For a current news article on relative Internet costs see:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2013/02/19/f-business-broadband-internet-bandwidth-costs.htm...

Note that Ontario, where I live has amongst the highest internet access costs in Canada, due to, according to this article, a lack of competition.

So, I consider this just another example of an arrogant company rubbing salt in the wounds which we monthly incur when paying their exorbitant bills.

skinorth

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

How is it that some customers Were able to get their port enabled through calling Rogers?

Anytime I've asked they've said that the firmware provided to them doesn't give them full access to the hardware. Others though, will say that Rogers doesn't support doing that, only putting the modem into bridge mode. 

One report told me that the usb port is for printer sharing, and so it's not needed, and thus not supported, but the manual says something entirely different, also stating that it can only be enabled by an MSO user. If it's s for printer sharing, then what's the need to even disable it?

The rep also went on to say that it's disabled because no one uses usb cable printers, but they use ethernet printers. Since when was that ever true? Rogers has got to be hiding something (as always).

Don't actual technicians from Rogers ever read these forums?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I myself, at least here, have not heard of anyone getting the port enabled. 
(could be someone has posted on another forum that has, which you have seen?).

CAN the USB port support printer sharing or other things, yes.  Again, under STOCK manufacturer firmawre/software on it.
The ones from rogers, are not running stock, but a modified version, which has it turned off.

Why? Could be a myriad of reasons.. i would GUESS, it comes from a support standpoint.  IF they enable the port, they now have to train and teach people how to help people set it up, etc.. then it comes down to them likely having to have a knoledge of some of myriad of printers that could connect to it, etc.  It becomes a bigger support issue, i would guess.

That rep.. while not 100% wrong.. ALOT of the newer printers have built in wired/wireless connectivity, which saves having to do via USB and makes it so many can print... they SHOULDNT have said that, as that is not everyone case, not everyone has one of the newer ones, etc.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

"So, I consider this just another example of an arrogant company rubbing salt in the wounds which we monthly incur when paying their exorbitant bills."

Some salt in wounds promotes healing by reducing infection.