Hitron + Rogers Smarthome = Issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Hitron + Rogers Smarthome = Issues

HI guys,

I currently am using the new Hitron modem as i am on the Rogers ultimate package.  
I have several machines for which i use port forwarding (ie. 3389) but for some reason, when there is a power failure, my Hitron loses ALL of its port forwarding settings.

Typically what i do with all rogers modems is set it to use bridge mode to connect to my 3rd party router (in this case i woudl like to use my Asus N65U router).

However, because i have smarthome monitoring, i am unable to use bridge mode as it disables the hidden SSID for the smarthome monitoring.  This is a very bad situation.

So my questions are as follows:

1.  Is the Hitron modem supposed to lose its port forwarding settings after a power failure?

2.  What other way can i setup my Asus to handle port forwarding duties if i am unable to use bridge mode on the hitron?

Thanks

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Hitron + Rogers Smarthome = Issues

I know you can use your Asus as just an access point, I have this setup, but it won't Handle the port forwarding, only your 'gateway' will do that, which would be the Hitron in a non bridged setup.

That I know of, it shouldn't loose the settings. First I have heard of it here, but its not to say it isn't possible. I know the smc and Cisco do not.

Could always try a battery backup for the modem? Always pisses my wife of when the power goes out and I am on my laptop still playing a game online 😛

I'm Here A Lot

Actually thought about using a battery back up as well.  Just sounds so absurd to have to do so!!..

Weird part is that it is still maintaining the SSID and other information.  Just the PORT FORWARDING data disappears.

I have my Asus N65U as an access point right now, but its such a waste not to be able to bridge because of the smart home.  There are so many features on the Asus that iw ant to use but i cant... for example using a DDNS, or Asus iCloud.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have the smarthome as well.. the main reason i have my router set as an AP.

Now.. i have heard mixed things.. I was made to switch from the Cisco to the SMC, as you had to have the SMC for the home monitoring.. as you have the hitron (wasnt available when i signed up), that is obviously not the case. 

Apparently though, you dont HAVE to have any particular one.. it will work on anything.. its just that the monitor has to be re-set up to connect to your router.

I am ok in my setup, so i am not bothering at the moment.. but you may want to give their monitoring a call.. ask to speek to a senior person.. and see what they say.. IF you can do it.. if they can walk you through the setup for connecting it to the other, etc.

I'm Here A Lot

Thank you so much for your responses.

I did speak with both rogers internet and rogers smarthome and both are not giving any advice on how to work this through.

Now what i havent tried is to obtain an SMC router (for the smarthome) and connect its LAN cable to a NON-ROGERS router. 

This is what i am thinking:

HITRON ==>  Bridge mode==> Asus N65U ==> SMC Smarthome router.

I was told by rogers that the SMC has to connect directly to a rogers rourter... but i dont know why that woudl be the case, since its probably only picking up an IP address from any DHCP and then looking for internet connectivity.

Any thoughts?  Of course i woudl need them to come to my house on a service appointment to setup the SMC and provide me iwht one.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have heard mixed things on that... a few that have managed to set it onto their OWN router.. but most come back saying that it has to be on the rogers one..  I guess, for managemnt sake, etc.. they want it on one that they have access to, etc? Dont know.

The way mine is set up.. i have the SMC, with its wireless on, at the lowest channel band, with its own ID.  ONLY the smart home connects to this.  Then i have my own router, set up as a AP only.. and everything else connects to this (with it in the higher channel band, so no conflicts).

I havent had an issue.. power blips didnt take out my smc settings  (though i have it on a UPS now anyways), i set my port forwarding in the SMC for my web and ftp just fine.

I'm an Advisor

@minirx:

in my opinion, if you are going to use SmartHome it makes sense to put that stuff on a UPS.  A mix of various devices from different vendors, running unattended, and presumably critical to running and maintaining various systems, be they home security, be they house monitoring, or whatever, should have dependable Uninterrupted power.

No matter what Rogers or any other vendors say, it will be worth it to ensure stable, dependable power for this purpose.  That will eliminate at least one possible source of problems when in the future you encounter some issue with the functionality provided.

I am not hereby stating that your Hitron should be loosing its setup data on a power down.  That is a different matter.  You may wish to pursue that further with Rogers, but so far, the support for Rogers modem/gateway devices has not been that great.  Just read about all of the WiFi problems encountered by various users with these devices.  So far there is no sign that Rogers even acknowledges this as a problem with the device not meeting a reasonable interpretation of their specifications, let alone complying with the relevant Rogers marketing hype.

Just my opinion, and you may disagree if you wish.

skinorth

I'm Here A Lot

No both your opinions are definitely great feedback, and i must say 1000% times better than the BS i get back from calling in customer support.

I was going to use the UPS to support the HITRON from losing settings, however, i think the issue isnt power related anymore, it just randomly loses the port forwarding settings at will.  Now this would be okay if i was home everyday, but i am not, but i do accesses my home server several times a day.

The thing i wish the most, is to put the hitron in bridge modem and let my Asus handle full router duties.  THe reasons are as follows:

1.   I can remotely manage the Asus since you can log in externally so i can adjust, and change the port forwarding from anymore

2.  Use extended cababilities of the ASUS (ie. Samba, or ASUS iCloud)

3.  WIth the the Hitron, i also lost the ability to access my internal server using the external IP.  Before with the cisco, i was able to access my internal computers taht were port forwarded using the external IP, but now this doestn work.  Rationale is that my phone is all confiugred to use external ip, and hwen i am home and it connects to wifi, it can no longer access the internal services.

4.  I simply hate my Hitron, but its the only way to get the Rogers Ultimate speedlevels (which by the way hits about 230 Megabits down!!).

I've Been Here Awhile

My router is doing the exact same thing..... when i reload the device, i loose the port fowarding settings

everything else seems to stick..... this device is unreliable......

I'm Here A Lot

So i finally installed a UPS on my Hitron.  It is the only solution to losing port forwarding.

I tested it again by pulling the power on teh hitron and plugging it back in.  Sure enough port forwarding disappeared.

Now with the UPS it should be stable.  The added benefit isthat when the power goes down, i will still have internet!