Hitron Modem has the worst WiFi Range....

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Hitron Modem has the worst WiFi Range....

Seriously Rogers? Not only does this thing look like a black and red swiss cheese abortion, it also has the worst range of all routers I have ever seen.....

This new piece of crap won't even broadcast 2 stories down to my basement, with my old Motorola SB5100 connected to a Lynksis WRT610N I could connect in my neighbors house through 4 walls....

And I understand making the UI simple and user friendly.... but there's a limit.... this is downright awful to use...

***edited labels***

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Hitron Modem has the worst WiFi Range....

100% correct. The Hitron is a piece of garbage, but so are all of the D3 modems provided by Rogers. The only recourse is to bridge the modem and use your own router until such time that Rogers deems that customers are important and that they provide customers with a modem that actually works as advertised!

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

This may have been the most legendary Rogers tech support call ever, wish I had recorded it haha.

Tech: "Hi, Thanks for calling rogers *blah blah blah confirm identity and whatnot*."
Me: "I just got my new HiTron Modem..."
Tech: "Bridge mode?"
Me: "Bridge mode."
Tech: "Okay, just moment."
Tech: "Okay your modem has been reset and will now be in bridge mode. Anything else for tonight?"
Me: "Nope that's it."
Tech: "Alright, thanks for calling Rogers."

Whole conversation maybe took 3 minutes, 2 minutes being the identity confirmation. You'd think that Rogers would take it as a bad sign when every HiTron related call ends in Bridge mode, but no, they have to mull it over for about 7 years then decide to release something worse. 

Is it that much of a loss to allow the end user to choose which modem they want to use that they have to force them to use the absolute crap for an extra $1 a month? 

I've Been Around

I've had the same issue with WiFi range with the Hiltron modem.  In my 2300 sq foot house I could not get WiFit in the bedroom and only very weak signal in the living room about 20 feet from the modem.  I purchased and connected Apple Airport Extreme Router and the problem is solved. This is crazy.  I buy Rogers top of the line modem and it have to put it in bridge mode.   I do resent spending the time and money to solve the problem when it is the equipment that has such a poor range.   Rogers is spending money on sending a technician  to my house and having me spend time on the phone to solve a problem when the issue is that the Rogers Hiltron does not work as advertised.  The technicians, Rogers, and Rogers customers are all aware of the WiFi issues so why does Rogers not supply a better gateway modem and save everyone the hassle?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think the big problem is.. they possibly CANT Smiley Sad

I have done some looking around sice my time here with the gateways.. looking into what other ISPs use in canada and the US, etc.. and comparing models, and reviews on them.

Suprisingly? The hitron is one of the better ones.   Thats not saying much. 

I think it comes down to.. that there ISNT a good gateway device Smiley Sad  Every one that i have used, even competiors ones on dsl, etc..have ALL been poor.

Personaly.. i dont think they CAN Smiley Sad

As my friend IHR here says.. they would be just better to provide a stand alone D3 modem instead.

(and as advertised, is probably one of those relative things Smiley Tongue they advertise 'works throughout the home' but doesnt say how big a  home.. could be a 1000 square foot bungalow. Smiley Tongue )

I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks for the honourable mention Gdkitty! I think you are correct as I have been looking into these issues as well. I cannot find any reports of a gateway modem that works the way it should. All of the top-rated modems are D3 stand alone modems. 

I agree 100% with concerned. It has to be frustrating to spend money on your own router to fix a problem that Rogers could easily fix on their own by offering a decent stand alone D3 modem. It has to be equally frustrating for customers who get a gateway from Rogers, find their wifi is terrible and have no clue what to do. The only solution offered by Rogers is to reboot the modem and run a direct Ethernet connection, neither of which will fix the wireless issues!

Rogers is well aware of the issues even if they will not admit it. They could offer a stand alone D3 modem, but so far choose not to. This says a lot about the company!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well, them offering a d3 stand alone modem, DOESNT get rid of the frustration of having to buy your own router.. as you would have to do this anyways with a stand alone modem Smiley Happy

But i agree.  I can understand with them wanting to standardise, etc (like how they almost solely give out the hitron now).  But thats fine.  choose ONE good D3 stand alone, and give it as an option.  And make it just like the old days.  IF you have just a modem and call in for support, the old 'they dont support the 3rd party routers' and to do any full support directly plug into a PC, sort of thing.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Purchasing your own router when you know you need one for a stand alone modem cannot be nearly as frustrating as having to go out and purchase a router because Rogers rented or sold you a gateway modem on the assumption that a 3rd party router would not be required.

There are many customers out there who have the gateways, find the wireless does not work up to standards, but have no clue that they can fix it by bridging the modem and using their own router. For the most part, Rogers will not tell them this as it would be an admission that their equipment is not up to snuff so the customer is left in the lurch, not knowing what to do to get decent wifi in their homes!

I'm Here A Lot

I just got a new "cisco" modem from Rogers a few days ago.  They said we needed this newer one in order to switch plans.  Now my wifi only works in one room (with my old modem and router I could go anywhere in the house).  I called technical support and their solution was to hook up my laptop to long ethernet cables.  Really?   So now I'm sitting on the floor, next to where the modem is, hooked up to my ethernet cable.   I had long ethernet cables wired through my house almost 15 years ago - is this really still necessary in 2014? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While the rep is correct, that those new modems are needed for the newer plans..

It doesnt seem he was greatly trained on your options though to fix it..

YES, the wireless is poor on alot of the gateways, compared to alot of 3rd party routers.

But, you are able to take that cisco gateway, and do was called turning it into BRIDGED mode.  Which effectively turns it into a modem only... in which you can then attach your old router, in the same setup that you had before.

(the main reason for the upgrades to some of these other modems, are how they are configured compared to older ones.
If you only had a D2 era modem before, it only had ONE channel.  The newer ones, have 4, 8 (in the case of the cisco) or even 24 on the CGN3.  Having these more channels, helps prevent congestion and slowdowns when in a busy area where alot of people are using the internet at the same time)