cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitron CNG3 802.11n modem bridge mode setup with 802.11 ac third party router

nickyy
I've Been Around

Unable to bridge Linksys WRT54GL Wireless Router wireless router with my Hitron modem, please help.

thanks means alot.

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Hitron CNG3 802.11n modem bridge mode setup with 802.11 ac third party router

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It SHOULD be fine... while i havent had anyone specifically use that one.. there is no reason that it shouldnt.

Best way to do it, is start CLEAN.

(sometimes routers or the modems can lock onto old mac addresses, etc)

Do a factory reset on the Linksys. (usually its holding the reset down for a good 30 seconds then releasing it.  This will set everything to factory defaults)

Then log into the CGN3, and Then on the BASIC tab, go to Gateway Function.

Then turn Residential Gateway to DISABLED

Click OK, and it will restart.

MAKE SURE at this point to UNPLUG whatever your connecting to the CGN3 with before it fully restarts.

Then plug in the Linksys, and follow its regular setup instructions.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Hitron CNG3 802.11n modem bridge mode setup with 802.11 ac third party router

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That’s an old modem. Are you trying to bridge the CGN3 and use the WRT54GL as your router? If so, you would need to log into the CGN3, navigate to the BASIC….GATEWAY FUNCTION and disable the Residential Gateway Function. The CGN3 will reboot and restart in bridge mode, acting as a modem only. At that point, plug the WRT54GL WAN port to the CGN3 LAN Port #1 (bottom port) and power up the router. You might have to run a factory reset on the 54GL, depending on what it was used for before. You should then be able to log into the router to change settings as required and use it for both wired and wireless connections. To reset the CGN3 back to Gateway mode, depress the recessed reset button at the back of the modem for 10 seconds and release. That will initiate a Factory reset and reboot into Gateway mode.

If you are trying to use the CGN3 in Gateway mode with the WRT54GL used as an access point, you would leave the CGN3 running in Gateway mode. With the WRT54GL disconnected from the CGN3, connect a pc to the WRT54GL, log into the router and set a separate IP address so that you can log back in later and to avoid conflicts with the CGN3 which will use 192.168.0.1. Make sure that the IP address that you choose is outside of the IP address range of the CGN3. Also turn off the DHCP server on the router so that the CGN3 handles all IP address duties on the network. Set the remainder of the wireless details as required and save all settings. Connect any of the CGN3 LAN ports to any of the WRT54GL LAN ports and reboot the WRT54GL. After the reboot, it will act as an access point, giving you access to all wired ports on both the CGN3 and the WRT54GL. You would probably want to make sure that the 2.4 Ghz wireless network on the CGN3 is turned off. If its running you will see a 2.4 Ghz LED on the front of the CGN3 lit up. You will see both wireless LEDs lit, if both networks are running.

You should check to determine what firmware is loaded on the CGN3. That is shown on the Status page which is displayed when you log into the modem. Firmware Version 4.2.4.3 has a bug which throttles down any external device which is directly connected and which connects with a 10/100 Mb/s port. I believe that the WRT54GL falls into that category. If you look at the back of the CGN3, the connected port LED will be amber if the port is running at 1 Gb/s and green if its running at 10/100 Mb/s. If its amber there will not be any throttling, if its green, the port throughput is throttled down to 35 Mb/s, no matter what plan you are on.  If you have Firmware 4.2.4.5 loaded, the problem has been rectified and no throttling will occur with a 10/100 Mb/s connected device.

Depending on your plan, that router might cap your internet throughput. If you are on the 60 Mb/s plan that would work, but if you are on a higher 150 or 250 Mb/s plan, that router will definitely cap your throughput.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It SHOULD be fine... while i havent had anyone specifically use that one.. there is no reason that it shouldnt.

Best way to do it, is start CLEAN.

(sometimes routers or the modems can lock onto old mac addresses, etc)

Do a factory reset on the Linksys. (usually its holding the reset down for a good 30 seconds then releasing it.  This will set everything to factory defaults)

Then log into the CGN3, and Then on the BASIC tab, go to Gateway Function.

Then turn Residential Gateway to DISABLED

Click OK, and it will restart.

MAKE SURE at this point to UNPLUG whatever your connecting to the CGN3 with before it fully restarts.

Then plug in the Linksys, and follow its regular setup instructions.

View solution in original post

Sorry, just was reading DATALINKs reply as well. (you have to stop doing that datalink :P... you end up posing before me by like 2 mins while i am typing my reply)

Yeah.. that is a pretty old router..

Other than MAYBE gaining a few more port forwarding (and even doubtfull at that), you arent likely going to gain much.

The range on that one, isnt going to be much different than the CGN3 for wireless..

Tecnically slower wired ports, etc.

lol  🙂

RogersMoin

Hi @nickyy, Welcome to Rogers Community Forum! Smiley Happy

Wow! Great replies by @Datalink and @Gdkitty, thank you both for helping out the community.

@nickyy – I just want to add, once you have enabled bridge (disable Residential Gateway Function), CGN3 or any other gateway modem will turn into modem only mode i.e ONLY 1 Ethernet port should be in use. Basically, that Ethernet connection from modem should be given to your router’s internet or WAN port. If you need to use any hard wired or Ethernet connection, it should be used from the LAN ports available on the router

@Gdkitty wrote:

Yeah.. that is a pretty old router..

Other than MAYBE gaining a few more port forwarding (and even doubtfull at that), you arent likely going to gain much.

The range on that one, isnt going to be much different than the CGN3 for wireless..

Tecnically slower wired ports, etc.

Could it be a typo? The subject line says '802.11ac third party router'

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 5 in conversation