Hitron CGN3 hide ssid problem ?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
User139
I've Been Here Awhile

Hitron CGN3 hide ssid problem ?

Hi All,

Is this normal  ?

For Hitron CGN3, when I tried to turned OFF Broadcast ssid in wireless tap,  there is a warning popup saying that WPS or WPA (or something like that I can' t remember top of my head)   will be turned off as well ?

does aneyone in the community have this problem or experience  with this ?

To hide the Broadcast ssid   is  to secure more on the Wifi  but  have  to give up the wps/wpa pretection layer ?

I have been hide my ssid on my older wifi ever since until i upgraded to the Hitron CGN3 and got this problem.

Thank you all in advance for the reply and sharing the knowledge.

User139

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
wayner92
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Hitron CGN3 hide ssid problem ?

There is a big difference between WPS and WPA.  Not using WPA is probably a bad idea but there is nothing wrong with shutting off WPS.  In fact WPS has (or had) a security hole that makes it possible to crack one's WPA password.  And WPS is really only needed for people that aren't smart enough to figure out how to enter a password.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I just tried on mine.

I have WPS OFF already, but WPA/WPA2 set up.  Went and disabled the SSID broadcast.. and go no error message, and it allowed to be saved fine.

So it may be a specific issue then with WPS and no broadcast.

(you really shouldnt use wps anyways)

Which firmware version are you on? (Just incase not the newest and maybe that is why the message)

wayner92
I'm a Reliable Contributor

There is a big difference between WPS and WPA.  Not using WPA is probably a bad idea but there is nothing wrong with shutting off WPS.  In fact WPS has (or had) a security hole that makes it possible to crack one's WPA password.  And WPS is really only needed for people that aren't smart enough to figure out how to enter a password.

View solution in original post

sbenninger
I Plan to Stick Around

WPS is very easy to hack and get the your WPA passphrase. Turn OFF WPS on your routers as most do not have the hole patched. I am pretty sure the CGN3 is not patched. I will test now that I have one. Even turning it off on some routers only disables the button on the router but leaves the security hole open.

WPA2 with AES is as secure as you are going to get in a home environment(assuming the WPS is disabled). Hiding the SSID will not make your wireless any more secure and it makes it slighly more painfull connecting to it as you have to type in the SSID as well as the password when you add new clients.

FaFaFoo3y
I'm New Here

I'm hoping someone can help me with my Hitron router.  I recently reset it and the multiple SSID option is greyed out.   Any tips on activating this....  Yes, I did lose the magic key.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you are referring to the Rogers setup USB stick, losing it is actually a very good thing.  I tried experimenting with the stick recently and went from having a working CGN3 to one that needed replacement due to the unintended effects on the 2.4Ghz network, ie, the router died whenever the network was turned on.  That never happened prior to running the setup stick.  In the words of the tech supprt rep that I was in conversation with at the time, "Throw the stick away". 

If you want to run a guest network, you can call in to have tech support set it up for you.  Yep, sounds like a pain, but probably a better choice given what can happen with the stick.

Lastly, if you really want to run multiple wireles networks, the best advice is to buy a third party router that will give you far greater control over all of the wireless networks.