Hitron CGN3 - Router questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DrMike
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Hitron CGN3 - Router questions

Hi all,

I just upgraded from Extreme Plus to HF 250/20 and of course as part of the upgrade I had to return my Cisco modem and take the Hitron CGN3 instead. Other than the fact that for the second time in 2 modems the . at the Rogers store failed to actually *activate* my new modem and I had to go through Tech Support to get it online, all has been good (granted only about 2 days). Speeds are good, all is functioning (in gateway mode) as it should.

My questions relate to why so many people want to use this in bridge mode. I understand that the Hitron does not function so well in bridge mode, and I have read a lot on that, but I have not really seen why so many people are so unhappy with the the out-of-the-box gateway mode.

I assume that the firewall and security of the Hitron are standard etc, so what is wrong with the router part of this per se? Do I really need a fuller-featured router that the Hitron provides? I guess that is hard to answer when you don't know my usage and setup etc, but perhaps some experienced users can list a few of the major deficiencies of the Hitron as router that are driving so many users to bridge mode and a stand-alone router? I want to learn what I am missing 🙂 

Thanks.

***edited labels***

JoinMyBotnet
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Hitron CGN3 - Router questions

The Hitron makes simple things... less simple.. and sometimes it makes them impossible.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The Hitron allows simple stuff. Limited options in port forwarding, Access restrictions, etc.
It does have dual band wireless.

But the wireless range is not great, compared to a 3rd party router.

Pretty much, if it doesn't do what you need it to/you need more options... Then you bridge with a better router.

(And pretty much all the bridging issues have been fixed now)

DrMike

@JoinMyBotNet:

With resepct, that's a very "cute" answer, but isn't very informative....

I am sincerly trying to learn what sorts of capabiltities a more "full-featured" router would have that this one doesn't have.  

DrMike

@GDkitty

Thanks. So far I don't know if the wireless range is OK or not - haven't fully tested. The Cisco it replaced was notoriously panned by reviewers here and elsewhere for poor range yet I found it fine in my home, so this one that is *supposed* to be better range, might be just fine for my needs.

As for th rest, I don't do (or need) anything fancy. I no longer use VPN access (am retired). My network at home is simple - two computers and a printer wired direclty into the router by Ethernet and a few wirelss connections for iPads, phones etc.

My only real concerns are sustained DL speeds (seems to be fine so far in that regard) and security.

Since I never use many of the other features, I would be hard-pressed to know what I am missing. I don't even know what port forwarding exaclty *is*, for example.

But I do want to be sure that the firewall and security features are good. I do have full WPA/WPA2 secutiry and AES encryption set and use a strong password. But I have not used address filtering or similar although I see that I could on this device.

So, I am still trying to determnine if there are basic "good practice" functions, especially in the security area, that I am missing by not buying a stand-alone router and bridging.

Thanks

DrMike

@GDkitty

Thanks. So far I don't know if the wireless range is OK or not - haven't fully tested. The Cisco it replaced was notoriously panned by reviewers here and elsewhere for poor range yet I found it fine in my home, so this one that is *supposed* to be better range, might be just fine for my needs.

As for the rest, I don't do (or need) anything fancy. I no longer use VPN access (am retired). My network at home is simple - two computers and a printer wired direclty into the router by Ethernet and a few wirelss connections for iPads, phones etc.

My only real concerns are sustained DL speeds (seems to be fine so far in that regard) and security.

Since I never use many of the other features, I would be hard-pressed to know what I am missing. I don't even know what port forwarding exaclty *is*, for example.

But I do want to be sure that the firewall and security features are good. I do have full WPA/WPA2 secutiry and AES encryption set and use a strong password. But I have not used address filtering or similar although I see that I could on this device.

So, I am still trying to determnine if there are basic "good practice" functions, especially in the security area, that I am missing by not buying a stand-alone router and bridging.

Thanks

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

From the sounds of it, you likely wouldn't need any of the advanced features that a 3rd party router 'might' have over the Hitron.

Port forwarding, you generally know if you need it or not.
Say for example you have a specific program which needs to communicate out on a specific port, not really a standard one, etc.
By default the firewall will block it. Forwarding then would allow when a request is made to your IP with that port, for it to be forwarded to a specific internal machine.

I have yet to have an issue with mine. It's in gateway with the wireless off though, and a 3rd party router just as a wireless receiver (not doing any routing)

Your wireless setup seems good, only thing. I personally would do is turn off wps, unless you use it to set up wireless devices.

wayner92
I'm a Reliable Contributor

If possible I would NEVER want to use a gateway in gateway mode since this gives Rogers pretty much full control over my LAN, including the ability to set and change Wifi passwords, change port forwarding, change DNS settings, etc.  If you are a neophyte then that makes sense, but if you know what you are doing then you likely don't want that.

DrMike

@wayner92

Thanks for the info. Although I haven't yet had the need for using port forwarding, the Hitron definitely has a full dialogue and an option to add port forwarding rules so not sure what that objection is. SImilarly, the first thing I did was change the default SSID to my own, and change my WiFi passwords etc so that is not an issue either. 

So, once again I am left to wonder if there really is a need for a separate router. I would not class myself as a neophyte but neither am I an expert - but I don't seem to have any needs that the Hitron is not adeqautely addressing in terms of capabilties and features. 

As long as performance stays OK, I doubt I will have any complaints.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Really its a personal prefernce.

COULD rogers pontentially do what wayner92 said?  Sure.
I think the chances, of some rogers rep, being malicious and just randomly going in and changing stuff on you, is fairly small though.

Alot comes down to the comfortability level of the customer.
While yes in general, bridged mode is the BETTER choice performance wise, with a good router, etc...

That does leave MOST of it having to be done by the customer.  If they are not comfortable doing that sort of computer work (or dont have someone to do it for them).. it may not be the best choice.

In bridge mode, rogers is only responsible to the modem.. any other wireless config options, etc.. is out of their hands.
Vs for a more basic user, they can get basic network setup help on the gateway from rogers.